Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers Installed..Few questions on the rest

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers Installed..Few questions on the rest

So..after 4 hours and some beaten to crap knuckles..the long tubes are in..Went with the stainless ebay headers (figured if they suck..oh no im out 200 bucks) went in almost like they were meant to..almost..Now here is my question..
Option 1 - TSP ORY to a loudmouth 2 catback
Option 2 - TSP ORY to a loudmouth 1 catback (not really veering towards this one too much)
Option 3 - TSP Catted Y to either LM1 or LM2
Option 4 - TSP ORY to LM2 with Dynomax 12" bullet mufflers right before the tips (less rasp)

Anyone other ideas would be awesome..any input what so ever would be great. keep in mind i would love a loud exhaust but the tone and quality (deep/no rasp) are more important than how loud it is.

Thanks everyone. Oh and if anyone has option 4 as a set up on their vehicle..i would love to know every detail on the sound. And i suppose telling the make and model of the car would help..O_o...01 camaro Z28
Old 04-23-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think that in order of loudest and most rasp (for me anyways) is:

SLP LM1, Dynomax Bullet, SLP LM2

The catted Y and either LM system sounds awesome! If you want some nasty rasp go with the Dynomax or SLP LM1 with an ORY (I run a dynomax and ORY). The LM2 is a bit more restrictive and quiet.

IF I could do it all again I would go with a 3" Y pipe and a 4" Y-Back system (mufflex) or Hawk Third Gen and a Borla muff..

Search for Steve Gunn on here, the best sounding exhaust around and it is a single 4" setup! Well, maybe 2nd best to a sweet thunder dual system.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the TSP Rumbler catback and I love it. It has an awesome tone with no rasp at WOT but when you're driving normal it'll get a little raspy if you let it shift at 2200 rpm (a4) but I like that because I can control how crazy I want the exhaust lol
Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

witch ebay seller did you go with if you dont mind pming it to me, Im also gonna go with the ebay headers thanks
Old 04-27-2012, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

I just got done putting in a set of ebay headers and Texas Speed stainless Y. They look like great quality but a few issues you should know about with ebay headers.
The pass side is angled slightly down so I had to cut the Y a little shorter so it would angle up some. I put an easy seal clamp on it and it works fine but looks a little weird with the slight bend in the system there.
The drivers side is too close to the steering arm so you have to grind the head of the bolt down about half way. No big deal there.
The O2s are on the wrong side. Not a big deal but it would have been handy for them to put them on the inside rather then the outside.
The biggest issue I see is the passenger side the 3rd tube back is about 1/8" from the plastic heat A/C box and I think that is going to be a big problem. I'm doing a cam and gears too and have not gotten it running yet to find out. Maybe this weekend.

So the stainless looks great and will last for ever but it is harder to work with. You can't weld it or stretch it and it's harder to cut and bend. All stainless is cool but if I had to do it again I would go with steel Y pipe and stainless headers I think.

I would suggest you put in urethane motor mounts in it for sure when you do headers and there is no sense running two 3" pipes into the stock 2 3/4 pipe after the Y. Go bigger all the way back or put in cut outs if you are going to do this.
Good Luck!

Last edited by charchri4; 04-27-2012 at 10:27 AM.