Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Z28 Verty Engine Transplant Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Z28 Verty Engine Transplant Build

This is a engine swap for all the guys who do not have a shop, lifts, or even a garage at home, at that don't even have concrete or gravel down that do not want to go through the top...

I work on private jets and military aircraft 3rd shift, and was in a shop first shift, and they weren't trying to let me install my engine there for some reason, well I left anyway...

To start off, I'm just returning the knowledge back that I received from this site..

I performed a engine swap from the bottom on a 91 Z28 3rd gen on the DIRT not grass or concrete. You cannot manuever the engine hoist once you have positioned it in dirt, The wheels will sink!, and jack stands will also sink that is holding the car. You have to jack the engine up and actually roll the car to the cherry picker with the engine already hovering high, rather than bringing the cherry picker to the car. Yes the front suspension will have to be removed once you have the car postioned. Which it only consist of removing the strut from the drop spindle and the brake caliper, of course removal of wheels. Then you just drop the K Member, with the car elevated on jack stands you have more enough clearance to slide K-Member assembly under the car out the side.

Then with everything missing, you drop the engine through the big hole you will have in the engine bay without anything attached, drop it through the bottom of the car, almost to the ground, slide you K-Member back under and connect it to your motor mounts. Now you will have the engine connected to the K-Member under the car which is still attached to the engine hoist, now you raise the engine and its assemblies into the location where the K-Member attaches to the frame

I actually dropped the engine almost in, and then unbolted the K-member when I seen I couldn't move that cherry picker in dirt

K-Member removed, it was only about 6 Large bolts holding the entire part in place

I just painted everything since I have it broken down.

Anywho Now I am doing a 4th gen 98 convertible and I was going to do a FULL write up of "How To On Dirt"..but enstead I just rented a storage room...10'x30' $149.00 a Month

this is a full BUILD thread by the way I am just at work and stopping here