Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crappy pics of my duals over the axle build

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crappy pics of my duals over the axle build

True duals over the axle with pieces from Ebay, Magnaflow, and a scrapped out milking machine. Its all stainless. Ebay headers into 3" to the 1st X pipe. 2.5 back. I found on a MB AMG board how a guy added a 2nd X pipe to his car and it raised the engine note at full bore so I figure why not try 3? Mufflers are 14616's. I am going to custom make the tips and I still need to redo the ****-tactular rear muffler hangers. There are 3" v band clamps at the front and 2.5's right after the 3rd X. It has mellow sound at idle and is more exotic, raspy at full throttle. Just what I expected. We did have to notch and patch the Fays2 Watt Link Brace to make it fit. Idk when I will get a sound clip up, but its coming. My car has a L33 in it now with an EPS 226/234 cam kit, LS6 intake, ARP rod bolts with a lightweight Diamond clutch hung off the back.

Last edited by abot316; 07-25-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Teching In

you should do a you tube video of start up and reving it up and pulling away
Old 07-25-2012, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 07-25-2012, 03:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
lololol

looks like a hair braid. need to hear!
Old 07-25-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lmao. That's awesome.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting setup. Quite interested in hearing a sound clip.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Very interesting. Same setup as mine, except I have 2 less x pipes. Subscribing because Im curious to hear this beast.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:35 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You sir, are The FBody Tic-Tac-Toe Grand Champion.

That being said, yes, I have to hear this thing.

Last edited by dr_whigham; 07-25-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

This thread has made me more curious than any thread on LS1Tech this year LOL. I gotta know where the idea for this came from.

Not knocking the setup at all it looks fantastic but I'm absolutely stumped as to what made you go this direction and what purpose it will serve to have two extra xpipes whether it be for sound reduction or power gain theory....... also another vote for wanting to hear it
Old 07-26-2012, 06:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would add another X pipe, come the numbers even. Hope it sounds Xtra, Xtra, Xtra good when you crank it up.

Chad
Old 07-26-2012, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Exclamation

im in for the video clip!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zexgx
lol! This!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

I have (1) of these type x pipes where the first one is on this setup then a y pipe after it into a single 3" over axle setup and it totally removed the rasp I had with lt's and just a TSP oryp. It actually is alot quieter than just the oryp.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Wow. Just wow. Instead of asking a solid legit question why I did something, I get flamed. I can understand if it shot my mouth off by making some overblown claims or used flexpipe and duct tape, but this, really? OMG Someone actually decided to try some different?! The Hell you say!!! Oh no you can't do that! Obviously I should of made another mindless bland poll question thread based on which catback is the best. Oh and while I'm at it, I'll ask which lid is the best, too!

I, on the other hand, chose some trial and error engineering plain and simple. Its based on a few things I read on a MB AMG board, a GTO board, and no matter how much I searched on here I couldn't valid it soooo I decided to put my money and time where my mouth it, just try it. Not to mention I want practice on my new Miller Tig so why not? An X pipe not only balances the pressures but creates a scavenging effect. If one will work why not try 2 or even 3? It also make the exhaust stronger because its literally braced all the way down. Like I said before, I read how a 2nd X raised the engine note a bit sooo.... I'd love to have 180' headers but I think they'd be impossible to fab on a F body. I just want more of that style of sound.

I had Corsa on it with an ORY. I love the way it sounded at full bore. 24-3700 part throttle on the other hand was down right annoying raspy. I hated it, hence my experiment. As for numbers, I've never dyno'd my car so no base line. Like I said, its noticeable louder at idle but mellow. Cruising down the road there is a bit of drone at 17-2100 which I'm going to take care of with some Helmholz resonator tubes soon. Example: http://www.performancecarweb.com/showthread.php?t=144
Last night at a cruise in everyone said driving past it was fairly quiet, at full pedal its loud. It has more of an exotic sound from I hear inside. I did go up to Car Craft last weekend. I had numerous people walk up and compliment/ask questions. Everyone who has heard it says it sounds different then anything they've heard before, but still sounds good.

As for a video, I'll have to borrow a Go Pro from someone. In car, outside the car. etc. Like I said in my original post, I will get a video out. I'll put the word out on my FB. No guarantees on when, but hopefully soon.

Last edited by abot316; 07-26-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
I have (1) of these type x pipes where the first one is on this setup then a y pipe after it into a single 3" over axle setup and it totally removed the rasp I had with lt's and just a TSP oryp. It actually is alot quieter than just the oryp.
Makes sense, watch some of the video like the one of the c5 vette
http://flojomufflers.com/

Another reason, come to think of it why did what I did what I did.

By chance what is your setup? Cam? Cat back? etc?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:32 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

We're just having fun OP. Calm down. I didn't see anyone flame you.

You're still the FBody Tic-Tac-Toe Champion though.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed, we are not flaming, we just think that it is so different and awesome, that it is meme-worthy. I really think that it would sound pretty good, and different. I definitely want to hear how it sounds.

Also, the MBZ cars with multiple crossovers tend to have one in-line with the exhaust manifolds primary angles (which then go into catalytic converters), and sometimes one crossover prior to the mufflers (after the catalytic converters). Not really sure there is anything to gain power-wise by adding an extra one along a length of piping, but I'm sure that at the very least it would change the sound noticeably.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...austpiping.jpg
Old 07-26-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yup in for a sound clip also!!!!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Agreed, we are not flaming, we just think that it is so different and awesome, that it is meme-worthy. I really think that it would sound pretty good, and different. I definitely want to hear how it sounds.

Also, the MBZ cars with multiple crossovers tend to have one in-line with the exhaust manifolds primary angles (which then go into catalytic converters), and sometimes one crossover prior to the mufflers (after the catalytic converters). Not really sure there is anything to gain power-wise by adding an extra one along a length of piping, but I'm sure that at the very least it would change the sound noticeably.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...austpiping.jpg
Fair enough. I just seen the DIYlol in the corner of the picture, a few resulting lmao comments, and combined with a long day in 95', 95% humidity day trying to get it to fit and welded for Car Craft, well you do the math. I actually have to admit the tic tac toe comment was a funny burn/dig that I have to respect.

In a way I wish I went with cleaner, tighter X's. Those Magnaflows are more of a hollowed out turtle shell. More like a chamber. They were like $60. Columbia River Bending has some really nice ones but they are 140ish. I didn't feel like spending an extra 240 on a gamble. I wish I would of now. I would imagine it sharpen the note up more.

I'm gonna try tonight for a video. I had 5 friends respond with Go Pros. If its not up tonight, then probably Sunday. Got business in Chicago tomorrow and work through weekend.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

In for a sound clip. Nothing wrong with DIY and trying something new.

Quick Reply: Crappy pics of my duals over the axle build