Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

faster throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default faster throttle response

I got a question about the throttle response of the ls1 engines. The throttle is actuatet by a cable, so why does the engine not rev up like a carbureted one? There always is a little delay before the engine respond to my foot, and it also rev down very slow. I 've usually driven carbureted cars (82 camaro, 84 caprice) and loved the feel of control over the engine with my foot. Is there a possibilty to let the ls1 rev up and down faster, like a carbureted engine?
Old 07-29-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine's fast,see you tube link. Course I have a 6 speed with monster clutch & ultra light flywheel which makes a big difference in inertia.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just takes a second for all the air to move through your intake. Engine/throttle response is going to be different from vehicle to vehicle. If anything get your throttle body ported. Very common thing to do.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Revving up quicker comes with mods and tuning...revving down quicker comes with tuning. A tuner can make the car come down from a rev to idle quicker like a carbed car does, which actually is a way a tuner helps you gain some mpg's. Instead of the throttle hanging and coming down slowly, they can make it come back down to idle speeds immediately as you lift and save you some fuel.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Try cleaning your MAF. My MAF was just slightly dirty but after soaking the wire in some electronic cleaner my car really woke up.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Thanks peoples! My Camaro is for now bone stock, but I already ordered a lid and a cat-back system. I will clean the MAF as I install the lid. I hope all things together will change something...
Can I do this tuning thing on my own? Because here in Switzerland you will have a hard time to find someone that has just the slightest knowledge in american cars, yet know how to tune them

Last edited by eaglechlapf; 07-31-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

yes i feel your pain, it is a little different. It's just the nature of the beast. lol. Try driving one that does not have a cable and you will feel a difference also.

In my old 69 302 I put in a stiffer spring to improve the feel.

Quick Reply: faster throttle response