Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP headers + Kooks TD Exhaust... anyone done it?

Old 08-13-2012, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP headers + Kooks TD Exhaust... anyone done it?

Has anyone mated up the Kooks true dual system with TSP headers?

If so, how much effort was involved, and what process did you take?

I wish TSP would make a stainless TD system that dumped out the back similar to the Kooks system. I bet it would be quite a few hundred less in cost... and probably have far less ugly exhaust tips.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Why wouldnt you just go all out and get the kooks headers? I mean the true duals would run you like 2k anyways.

Just get a custom exhaust and be done with it. The kooks are nice and I'd run them any day but the price is way high for me.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

I was avoiding the Kooks headers because:

1) they're double the cost
2) I like Texas Speed.

I need to replace the Flowmaster system I have now because it's rattling internally and I'm not about to try and fix it all. I've also read that the Flowmaster catback isn't so great for performance in the long run. I also would greatly prefer true duals, but I can't deal with the drone or the sooty mess that having them dump out pre-axle causes.

My setup also doesn't require any additional parts to make the TD's work.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm really not sure how much more the Kooks dual exhaust system is over the TSP dual exhaust system, but I can speek from experience, as I have the TSP dual exhaust system and I love it. It does not drone at all and it has a beautiful tone at idle and sounds like a complete animal under throttle. You could always have a reputable exhaust shop extened the TSP system out the back too for probably a fraction of the Kooks exhaust cost.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

You could also have custom duals made with the Kooks race mufflers used in there duals and still use TSP headers.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I'm really not sure how much more the Kooks dual exhaust system is over the TSP dual exhaust system, but I can speek from experience, as I have the TSP dual exhaust system and I love it. It does not drone at all and it has a beautiful tone at idle and sounds like a complete animal under throttle. You could always have a reputable exhaust shop extened the TSP system out the back too for probably a fraction of the Kooks exhaust cost.
(The TSP Rumbler is $500ish w/o cats (which I need), where the Kooks system is about $1750 w/cats ... also, the TSP system is not stainless like the Kooks system as far as I know)

Actually there's another thread on here from someone who tried to do the same thing. The problem with that is you would need to extend the pipes over each side of the Axle, instead of together on the passenger side like with the Kooks system.

Since I'm running a Watt's Link, I have ample room on the passenger side, but practically zero on the driver's side.

Also, if I was going to do that, I might as well just have a shop fab the entire system from the headers back, and not bother trying to mickey around with the TSP exhaust system.

Does anyone know if TSP is ever thinking of releasing a full system? I'd totally wait for that... I know some folks are closer to the crew down there than others on this site...
Old 08-16-2012, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

If you want great quality and dont mind spending the money kooks is the way to go. It sounds great, looks great performs great. Yes expensive but worth it. brute speed has the best prices on the exhaust system with free shipping and maryland speed has good prices on kooks headers also with free shipping. If you if have a little extra time ebaymotors has good deals. i bought unused headers for my f body for 570.00. Tsp really does have a good system if you dont want to spend the money. I also like the way it sounds.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by backdraft408
If you want great quality and dont mind spending the money kooks is the way to go. It sounds great, looks great performs great. Yes expensive but worth it. brute speed has the best prices on the exhaust system with free shipping and maryland speed has good prices on kooks headers also with free shipping. If you if have a little extra time ebaymotors has good deals. i bought unused headers for my f body for 570.00. Tsp really does have a good system if you dont want to spend the money. I also like the way it sounds.
Thanks, I appreciate it! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-22-2012, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by backdraft408
I'm fairly certain Kooks has all of the resellers under contract on minimum resale pricing.

I don't see either Kooks product below the same common pricing amongst all the sites I see... so I suppose I'll have to rethink my budgeting for this or use a local shop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TSP headers + Kooks TD Exhaust... anyone done it?