Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust dilemma. New Catback or LT's

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Exhaust dilemma. New Catback or LT's

Hey guys I've been contemplating this for a while and now that I've ran out of bolt ons for the moment I'm going to address it. My car per the mods in sig is just under 400whp. I have BBK chrome lt's and a bassani true dual system.

To make a long story short about a year ago I stumbled upon a good deal on this bassani system from a wrecked car it was missing the front pipes after the x so I had a muffler shop fab up the front pipes and align the system.... Well they did a crappy job the system rattles and hits because they pushed it to far to one side of the tunnel when they welded the pipes in.

The bbks on the car are in ehh shape. They fit great and have been good to me for the past 3-4 years but they are chrome and are starting to get pretty rusty in the wet florida weather, so it has been in the back of my mind to replace them.

Ok on to my dilemma, I was looking at swapping the whole bassani system to a 3.5" stainless works chambered system, however keep in mind I'd have to drop another 150 on a y-pipe because I sold the bbk one off with my old catback. So total cost is around 900 and I'm still left with the bbk lt's. However I could sell the bassani system for a little something to recoup the cost. Also being 2.5" duals I'm wondering if I'd lose flow going back to a single y system??

Option 2, I know the bassani will fit good once its readjusted as I have seen it on a few peoples cars and have test fitted mine myself. So this option includes hacking off the welded pieces in front of the x pipe and starting fresh there. Then I would ditch the bbks and pick up a set of ARH 1-7/8" lt's and have a better muffler shop refashion the front x-pipe pieces to go to the collectors. In the end both will be about the same price (ARH being a little more) and I'm thinking I might pick up a bit of hp with the ARH's. With this option I still have a stainless exhaust and I get larger stainless headers.

Sorry for the long post but I'm looking for everyones opinion on whats the best route to go here?
Old 01-13-2013, 06:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Come on guys I know u guys have opinions lol bummnp
Old 01-13-2013, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever you chose to do, stick with duals.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Veteran

well if i do the stainless works chambered i will lose the duals as its a single catback system... so i guess thats one vote for option 2? lol
Old 01-13-2013, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and thats why i have an ORY lol, to me i would sacrifice 5hp for a better fitment/no rattling exhaust. i take it that you dont care about loudness and drone and if you must suck every hp out of it then stick with the duals, get ARH and re do your exhaust. you wont lose much going 3.5" Y pipe either but it will for sure sound better with duals. tough choice i gotta say.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Ill trade my corsa catback for your bassani duals
Old 01-13-2013, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

New LT's
Old 01-13-2013, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

That bassani TD system...I've heard that one time and its sounds really "poppy" if that makes any sense. Theirs a lot of piping in that system, and you can tell by the sound.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fix the bassani and get new LTs. My friends has the system and theres no reason why yours should be rubbing
Old 01-13-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
and thats why i have an ORY lol, to me i would sacrifice 5hp for a better fitment/no rattling exhaust. i take it that you dont care about loudness and drone and if you must suck every hp out of it then stick with the duals, get ARH and re do your exhaust. you wont lose much going 3.5" Y pipe either but it will for sure sound better with duals. tough choice i gotta say.
Ya the bassani shouldn't be rubbing I've seen it setup on a few cars and it always fits well this was just poor aligning and then welding by the muffler shop. And actually I hate an unnecessary loud exhaust. The bassani TD system is pretty tame by dual standards and has almost no drone at all. My buddies GMMG with lt's is a good bit louder than my system, so I'm thinking the SW system would be as well since its so similar.

Originally Posted by justin hover
That bassani TD system...I've heard that one time and its sounds really "poppy" if that makes any sense. Theirs a lot of piping in that system, and you can tell by the sound.
Ya the system still has that signature "ls" high pitch sound to it if that makes sense. I like the sound, the only catback I've ever heard that I would like better is themuscle car sound a chambered system gives off which is why I was considering the SW system.

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
Fix the bassani and get new LTs. My friends has the system and theres no reason why yours should be rubbing
I think I'm going to go this route I know the system will be just fine once I get it re-aligned and get a decent weld job on it. I can push it right where it needs to be but when you move it to hook it up to the headers it throws everything off because of how they welded the pipes in.

So here comes my next question if I go with the ARH does anyone see a retune needed for the larger primaries. I'm sure I could suck every hp out of it with a new tune but that seems to get way to expensive to tune for just larger headers. I think i would still pick up a little without a tune if not stay the same, I just dont want to lose any.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

so no trade? haha. good luck with getting it aligned, youll be really happy with it
Old 01-14-2013, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

You shouldnt need to, obviously it would benefit but your PCM should be able to compensate for such a minor change
Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 94 White T/A
so no trade? haha. good luck with getting it aligned, youll be really happy with it
Thanks man, and no offense corsa makes a nice exhaust the sound just isnt for me though.
Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
You shouldnt need to, obviously it would benefit but your PCM should be able to compensate for such a minor change
Thats what I was thinking if I dont pickup anything its fine as its more for a function standpoint and if I gain a little bit great. I just didnt want to lose any but ya I think the pcm can compensate for the small primary change. I just wasnt interested in spending another 300 on a dyno tune for that extra 5hp...
Old 01-14-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by redbird555
Thanks man, and no offense corsa makes a nice exhaust the sound just isnt for me though.
I was mostly joking, haha. I've always liked the bassani duals, but I can't find them anywhere. My uncle lives a few houses down from Mr. Bassani himself, so I could probably work something out if I asked. I like my Corsa a LOT, but if it wasn't already on the car when i bought it, it probably would have never ended up on the car
Old 01-15-2013, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Go for some quality 1 7/8 headers and get the exhaust fabbed up correctly.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

just my noob 2cents, but i wanted the gmmg chambered more than anything, but didnt wanna drop 850 on it. went with slp loudmouth#2, and am very happy. similar in sound too gmmg imo, less than half the price, and stainless as well.

Quick Reply: Exhaust dilemma. New Catback or LT's