Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got bored... built a custom "ram air"

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got bored... built a custom "ram air"

So I was thinking about ways I could lower my IATS and I had a ton of extra room infront of my radiator due to removing the bumper support so in my most ghetto fabulous manner this is what I came up with and fabbed tonight.

I left the front of the air box open as to not choke the motor off the two intake tubes I routed from the front of the car but I totally blocked off any air coming up from around the radiator. Most of the air coming in is off the front of my grill through the tubing.

Tell me what you think

Got bored... built a custom "ram air"-llnaijr.jpg

Got bored... built a custom "ram air"-262owij.jpg

Got bored... built a custom "ram air"-rqyjqfp.jpg

And here's a picture of it from the front. Picture is pretty dark but the tubing is hard to see even in the daylight.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:06 AM
On The Tree

I like this.. Very clever
Old 01-31-2013, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Reminds me of the SUX2BU setup. Except with much more duct tape.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Amazing what a little duck tape and some dryer hose will accomplish. That is pretty cool, and Cheap. I am interested to know if you noticed any change in power after the mod.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

any change in throttle response, acceleration??
Old 01-31-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

ghetto
Old 01-31-2013, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 5w20
ghetto
It might be ghetto, but it's clever! How's it working so far?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not bad!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone made this back in 2007ish on this forum. Seen today while searching SSRA topics haha. I seem to like it, want to convince people need to do a run @ the trick with it installed..then take it off and make a pass..we like results
Old 01-31-2013, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DeLaRosa25
Someone made this back in 2007ish on this forum. Seen today while searching SSRA topics haha. I seem to like it, want to convince people need to do a run @ the trick with it installed..then take it off and make a pass..we like results
Yea I haven't had a chance to really get on the car as I just got it all put back together. It's nice and solid though driving around as its fastened well into place. It's not that ghetto as you can't even really see it unless you are looking for it even with the hood popped.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 PM
Launching!

That looks terrible. You asked, that is my honest opinion. That being said, if you can prove it shaves a tenth off your quarter mile time then I'm loving it.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by reinhardt02
That looks terrible. You asked, that is my honest opinion. That being said, if you can prove it shaves a tenth off your quarter mile time then I'm loving it.
Whether or not it shaves any time off I don't know. The main point was to lower IATS especially in situations where the car is still for any amount of time such as staging lanes etc. I'm sure it pulling in cooler air from the outside can't hurt either. The car went 11.4 @ 120 cam only a few years ago. Since then I've done full suspension, lightened it up some more and added this. I also have a 175 Harris Speedworks kit on it as well. I hope to get into the low low 11's on motor and low 10's on the spray.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Camaros have it nice for being able to build this type of setup. Design is great, least amount of bends / straightest flow should work nicely. Only thing that distracts from it for me is the silver and duct tape. I would at least paint the duct work to hide it a bit, and maybe a plastic insert w/ 2 holes wut out w/ a hole saw to eliminate the duct tape.

I haven't seen many people discuss this (i have read every cai / ram air thread on tech) but I would think it would be better to have a larger opening at the bumper, then slowely taper to a smaller diameter at the box. Air should increase speed once it's up there.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
Camaros have it nice for being able to build this type of setup. Design is great, least amount of bends / straightest flow should work nicely. Only thing that distracts from it for me is the silver and duct tape. I would at least paint the duct work to hide it a bit, and maybe a plastic insert w/ 2 holes wut out w/ a hole saw to eliminate the duct tape.

I haven't seen many people discuss this (i have read every cai / ram air thread on tech) but I would think it would be better to have a larger opening at the bumper, then slowely taper to a smaller diameter at the box. Air should increase speed once it's up there.
Pull your fog lights and you could connect the ducts to those holes..?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Shoot, duct tape works just fine for testing before fab work. Dunno how you'd make a real template from the duct tape but at least you can zero in on what does/doesn't work.

You get points for trying anyways. How's your intake tubing routed?
Old 02-01-2013, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z-camaro
Pull your fog lights and you could connect the ducts to those holes..?
You have to pull the inner foam bumper support, and the metal bumper bar out to achieve a worth while hole diameter. Otherwise the diameter is approx 2" which isn't worth it. I had started a design years ago that used the holes in TA bumpers that are under the running lights but I felt that was also too small of a hole. Maybe when I get more hardcore into weight reduction than I am now, but not yet.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Firebirds can go through the license plate cover.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

after that handy work, you don't deserve to own that car
Old 02-02-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 5w20
Firebirds can go through the license plate cover.
I haven't seen that one before thats a neat idea. Only problem for me is that mine is a street car and I need that front plate. Cannot put it on the lower air dam since you cannot see it from the front on my car. Where did you get that front transition piece? I have been thinking of something like that but put it behind the bumper directly where the bumper slopes upward to get air in the front. Between the bumper transition and air dam.

I saved that pic for reference, have any more? I'd be interested in seeing them. PM me if you want so we don't clog tthe op's thread.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
after that handy work, you don't deserve to own that car

burn me at the stake.

Quick Reply: Got bored... built a custom "ram air"