Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slp 3" magnamouth vs bassani 2½" true duals

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default slp 3" magnamouth vs bassani 2½" true duals

i just wanted to see what everyones thoughts are on exhaust. my car is pretty much where i want to be internally i just feel like i may be giving up a little on the exhaust. i have mac mids going into a flowmaster 3" y-pipe and to an slp loudmouth exhaust but with a replacement round magnaflow muffler so the 2½" downpipes go into a true 3" single exhaust basically.

the question was forget the $900 price but would it be worth the time and effort to go with the bassani 2½" true dual x-pipe exhaust over what i have? i saw pictures that its very easy to mate it up to the mac downpipes i have now so im just wondering if i will pick up a good amount of power and better sound to offset the amount of work its going to take to put it together plus the extra pipes with the extra weight and clutter under the car. thanks.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

btw i have an eps cam, ai stage 3 243 heads, and all the supporting bolt-ons. naturally aspirated
Old 03-15-2013, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alot of people would say duals over y pipe.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive heard mixed reviews on true duals over y pipes. Some say it flows better and some say it makes no difference untill you go over 450-500 hp. Personally I think the less the pipe bends the more flow you will have. Really depends on if 5-6 hp is worth 800 dollars to you.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:06 AM
Captain Double Post

17/8th longtubes n duals ,would net you a decent gain,i gained a sotp feel with my duals,but i wanna say there would be more of a gain swapping headers than exhaust,thats just my 2cents,i think you have a decent gain in rethinking your exhaust,longtubes n duals again would help your setup so much,
Old 03-15-2013, 08:47 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I personally think the single 3" you have is fine. Add a cut out if it's HP you're looking for. I never was a fan of the Basani system. WAY too many bends.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would do duals over a y setup any day except for a chambered setup but thats because of sound. Duals will always make more power than a similar sized y no question. The bassani 2.5" system has an overall diameter of 9.8" whcih is about an 1" larger overall than a 3" system and still about 1/4" larger than a 3.5" single.

With that said the bassani system does have a lot of bends but any true dual system that goes out the back will be similar. Many people on here report that with the bassani system they lost nothing down low and carried longer up top with a little more power. If you're considering a high end catback the bassani is a good choice.

Mine was used and fit like crap because some hacked on it, now that I finally have it fixed like its supposed to be it tucks up well and the sound is awesome, not real loud on part throttle but it opens up at WOT.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:45 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Poppycock.

There's no way I'm buying that this thing pictured below will outflow a Magnamouth. That's like drinking from a straight straw vs a squiggly straw.

Being as I've built and ran one in the past, it's a true 3" all the way through, and splits into two 2.5" sections AFTER the axle. Look at all those bends!

Old 03-15-2013, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

I say stay with what you have. At a similar power level, I had Mac's with a Flowmaster merge and a Borla catback, thought I'd maybe gain something by messing with the exhaust. Added QTP longtubes with merge collectors and their dual cut out off road y-pipe. At the track I gained NOTHING, even with the cut outs open. Only difference was my ground clearance went to crap. Check out ls2bait's exhaust and the numbers he runs. There is absoulutely nothing wrong with a well thought out single exhaust.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Poppycock.

There's no way I'm buying that this thing pictured below will outflow a Magnamouth. That's like drinking from a straight straw vs a squiggly straw.

Being as I've built and ran one in the past, it's a true 3" all the way through, and splits into two 2.5" sections AFTER the axle. Look at all those bends!

I'm not really into getting into an argument everyone had their opinions and that's fine. While it may not outflow try duals dumped before the axle. Back to back dyno comparisons are hard to dispute. I haven't seen one with a magnouth type exhaust but fact is a lot of people gain power with the Bassani or any td system over a normal off the shelf catback. I know there was an increase over my Mac 3" when I swapped it.
QUOTE=98 Silver SS;17231202]I say stay with what you have. At a similar power level, I had Mac's with a Flowmaster merge and a Borla catback, thought I'd maybe gain something by messing with the exhaust. Added QTP longtubes with merge collectors and their dual cut out off road y-pipe. At the track I gained NOTHING, even with the cut outs open. Only difference was my ground clearance went to crap. Check out ls2bait's exhaust and the numbers he runs. There is absoulutely nothing wrong with a well thought out single exhaust.[/QUOTE]
So you're saying that lt's won't gain you anything over Mac mids. Being that you keep the exhaust behind it the same? Lol seriously man not to be a douche but there's so many before and after results from miss to lts that it's not even debatable. Mac mids do a good job but they don't compete with lt's.

Unless you went to the track many times to even it out or HAD the exact same conditions before and after you can't really make an accurate comparison. You could have had -2000 da one time and then with lts had +3000 no difference it times but a huge difference in factors
Old 03-16-2013, 02:56 AM

I am fairly interested to see where this finally goes. I currently have a slp loudmouth 1 on my car now and aside from very minor power gains it sounds great. I think my man's original question here was is it worth the time and effort making this change to true duals. By worth I believe he means any signifigant power changes. Anything less then 15 hp is hardly feelable. And for 900 bucks you could spray that joker and def. FEEL it.

Last edited by SoDELZ28; 03-16-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

DA was very similar with multiple track visits before and after. And I'm not some noob who wouldn't take DA into consideration. So, at a very similar power level to the OP, runs were made with a similar exhaust to his (Macs/2.5" y with Flowmaster merge/single 3" catback), then QTP long tubes/3" y with Flowmaster merge through a Borla catback, and then with the dual 3" cut outs open. Runs with and without the cut outs open were made on the same day to see exactly how much the single exhaust was holding the car back, and there was NO noticeable difference except being louder. Just trying to help the OP out.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

well thanks for all the input... its a tough decision. an extra 10-15hp would be great but the system does have a lotta bends and would weigh more. thing i dont like about it most is how u can see all the piping from behind the car. with my setup now u can actually see the rear axle which is better kinda nice. maybe ill do what dr whigham said and put a cutout on each downpipe and just open them at the track. only thing about that though is i wonder if when they're closed they make more turbulence and rob power.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

it would be nice if flowmaster made a y-merge that went from dual 2.5s to single 3.5 but they dont. then id just do that and get the stainless works single 3.5 system which looks pretty nice. no perfect choices in this world. id go with long tubes but the macs make it so easy to switch back to the catted downpipes for inspection. wish i lived in florida sometimes
Old 03-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Poppycock.

There's no way I'm buying that this thing pic tured below will outflow a Magnamouth. That's like drinking from a straight straw vs a squiggly straw.
Look at all those bends!
1. There are TWO pipes vs ONE... Do an experiment, with ONE source of water in a tank, and one PUMP, two diffrent effluent, TWO 2.5" pipes and ONE 3" pipe.

Which one of the EFFLUENT do you think will push more water through?

The extra bends you noticed? There are only two I see compared to typical Y pipe set up. Those are negligible.

Originally Posted by 98 Silver SS
I say stay with what you have. At a similar power level, I had Mac's with a Flowmaster merge and a Borla catback, thought I'd maybe gain something by messing with the exhaust. Added QTP longtubes with merge collectors and their dual cut out off road y-pipe. At the track I gained NOTHING, even with the cut outs open. Only difference was my ground clearance went to crap. Check out ls2bait's exhaust and the numbers he runs. There is absoulutely nothing wrong with a well thought out single exhaust.
The problem with this is... the most important KEY word... SIMILAR... Still not the same... Apples to Oranges comparison. They are similar because they are both fruit but not the same.

Originally Posted by Siciliano15
the system does have a lotta bends and would weigh more. thing i dont like about it most is how u can see all the piping from behind the car. with my setup now u can actually see the rear axle which is better kinda nice.
You are definitely right, bassani is not for your car. SMH. It's all about the aesthetics not the performance. Good thing my car only dynoed @ 440 at the wheels with this system. I can't imagine how my car looks underneath right meow when I'm driving it at the track.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bene
1. There are TWO pipes vs ONE... Do an experiment, with ONE source of water in a tank, and one PUMP, two diffrent effluent, TWO 2.5" pipes and ONE 3" pipe.

The extra bends you noticed? There are only two I see compared to typical Y pipe set up. Those are negligible.

This.... Your curly straw analogy would be correct IF we were talking about 1 pipe. Here we have 2 pipes being compared to 1 pipe....Besides the fact that from a y-ipe setup as bene said I only see 2 more bends.

The problem with this is... the most important KEY word... SIMILAR... Still not the same... Apples to Oranges comparison. They are similar because they are both fruit but not the same.

Also true. Even if the conditions are similar its hard to get an accurate comparison. If Mac Mids were just as good as lt's then everyone would be running them, and all the dyno/track threads about gaining more with lt's wouldnt even be around. Sorry you wont be convincing anyone that lt's dont gain over macs.

You are definitely right, bassani is not for your car. SMH. It's all about the aesthetics not the performance. Good thing my car only dynoed @ 440 at the wheels with this system. I can't imagine how my car looks underneath right meow when I'm driving it at the track.
I personally couldnt care less about seeing the pipes from the back of the car. It's the same concept as running exhaust under the axle.... so you see the pipes. who cares? especially with a trans am that has a lower pumper anyway most of it would probably be covered.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:45 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Extra bends, YES. Go count the damn things. The driver's side post-X makes 2 180* turns for cryin out loud.

OP I just think there's better money to be spent elsewhere. Keep your MagnaMouth. If anything get some full length headers and a 3" Y.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bene

jeez i was just trying to weigh the good and bad. im at 412 rwhp now with an unlocked torque converter. if i knew id get to 440rwhp with the bassani id do it but i doubt ill pick up 28hp or anywhere close to it

Last edited by Siciliano15; 03-18-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by redbird555
I personally couldnt care less about seeing the pipes from the back of the car. It's the same concept as running exhaust under the axle.... so you see the pipes. who cares? especially with a trans am that has a lower pumper anyway most of it would probably be covered.
thats a good point most of it may be covered. im on the fence theres a good chance i might go for it.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im saving in either getting an x pipe dumped no mufflers, or a custom bassani like over axle slp powerflo duals. ;]

Quick Reply: slp 3" magnamouth vs bassani 2½" true duals