Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads and cam for my new motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Heads and cam for my new motor

Well I have a '00 z-28 with just shy of 300k miles on the factory untouched motor. Im going to be picking up a low mileage L33 (aluminum 5.3) short block this weekend. I plan to go ahead and install a decent cam before the motor goes in the car as well. Being only a short block Im going to need heads as well, and i dont want to spend a ton of money on them. The car is a 6 speed with 3.42 gears. Its my daily driver so i dont want to get too crazy with anything because as much as i love to have fun with this car i love my gas mileage more Im more of an LS truck/suv guy, when it comes to the car stuff and cams and what works well im still learning. The car wont be getting any type of forced induction, at least not any time soon or with this motor so id really like to keep the CR above 10:1 with a good sized cam and a set of decent flowing heads that wont kill the CR. They dont have to be anything aftermarket or expensive because this is purely a budget build and im just replacing the motor for peace of mind. The ls1 even with all the miles still runs like a champ surprisingly enough. It leaks a little oil here and there but runs great, no knocks or ticks anywhere. Any advice and guidance is very much appreciated!

Thanks

Zach
Old 05-10-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Here are Static & Dynamic Compression ratio calculators...
http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html
http://www.wallaceracing.com/dynamic-cr.php
However, I am of the opinion that cranking pressure is the best indicator on what kind of compression you can run with which octane. Here are a couple of good articles...
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...e_compression/
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...ression_ratio/
The 243 heads are preferred on the 5.7 and 6.0 if you want to maximize compression. Unfortunately, I am not certain if they are the best choice for a 5.3. To maximize your fun and mpg's you would do well by running the most compression you can on the octane you prefer to run. If you don't ever plan to take it to the track then a cam with 220 or less @ .050 should work well for you. Anyway...I hope this helps some.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

We have reman 317s, 243s and 799s all great heads to use on a budget and starting at $449. We can also do a heads/cam package and get you any additional bolts, gaskets ect needed. Let us know if we can help you in any way.
Thank you,
Kyle
972-853-0518
Thompson Motorsports
Old 05-10-2013, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Paul57 --- I only run 93 octane in both the camaro and my truck and about to swap the truck to e85 since its mainly a track queen now. the camaro will stay on premium no matter what since its the dd. 243 heads were the way i was leaning but figured i would get some advice and knowledge on here before i bought anything. Plan was to buy a set of used bare heads since everything else will either have to be bought new for the cam swap (springs, pr's, etc) and i have two sets of low mile rockers in the garage that i can use so i really only need a set of bare heads in good shape, i can assemble them myself no biggie.

Thompson --- where at in DFW are you guys located? If i could work out some sort of package deal with a heads and cam setup to save some money that would be great. Im assuming yall sell Comp cams?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

We are located about half an hour from Dallas (east) near Wylie/Lavon.
545 Justin Pl
Nevada, TX

We have our cams made through Howards Cams. They are top of the line Billet cores with excellent precision, The same cams used in about 250 of our package motors a year and countless others.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you have not bought the the 5.3 yet ,and don't need the car running soon ,consider a 383 rotating from Texas Speed .Martin at tick has been working with cams for 5.3 engines.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

The car is currently running, I drive it every day. Only reason for buying a motor is to have something lower mile in there since the factory motor has 271,xxx miles on it. I can do whatever I want with the new motor and put it in whenever really, it isn't something that has to be done quickly. I just don't want to sink a ton of money into this car since its just my dd. My truck is the toy, it gets all the goodies

Quick Reply: Heads and cam for my new motor