Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone plumb a line from d/s valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone plumb a line from d/s valve cover

What parts would I need? It is the stock LS6 valve cover with the black grommet/plug installed. I need to vent the crankcase more, so I was going to tee this into my catch can.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

if your catch can only has one outlet then having twice as many inlets wont do you any significant good if you are looking for more flow through the system.

why dont you post a pic of how it is hooked up currently? that would help.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Here is a pic of current setup:

[IMG][/IMG]

Went to VIR, a road course, and motor puked oil over right side of motor again. A lot of wot runs and heavy deceleration. It all came out the breather cap on valve cover port. I am a guessing crankcase pressure. Motor is a stroke 402 making 500+rwhp. There is very little oil in catch can. I am thinking because oil tends to fill up valve covers, and along with crankcase pressure, it just forces it out the breather cap. I did run one session with catch can out line going back into intake, but it made no difference. Plan is to port d/s valve cover and tee into catch can and see how that goes. Next step is this:

Valley cover with 1" port: http://www.aeicnc.com/gen-iv-chevrol...ley-cover.html

Thoughts?
Old 05-12-2013, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea you aren't doing anything there to remove blow by. catch can needs to be between engine and intake.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Launching!

what mightymouse said^, not too mention it looks like you have unmetered air. The fresh air going through your catch can and then into the intake is behind the maf which will/should cause unmetered air that can produce lean codes(like a vacuum leak).
Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
yea you aren't doing anything there to remove blow by. catch can needs to be between engine and intake.
Wow - I hope you all are seeing that wrong. The line goes from valley cover port=> PCV valve => catch can => and then to atmosphere. The port to the intake where catch can out would normally go is blocked off. No unmetered air is going back into intake - actually nothing is. It would be nice if this was all hooked up wrong - that would be an easy fix. How should this be hooked up?

BTW - this is a LS2 valley cover hooked to LS6 PCV system. Does the LS2 valley cover have the PCV already built in, or is that another motor? I have read so many threads on this, they have all run together. Would that hurt having two PCV valves?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

i see that bolt now, they are overlapping trickily in the pic haha.

still aren't doing anything to remove blow by.

pcv to atmosphere isnt doing anything but restricting flow to catch can as well.

put the pcv valve (facing correct direction) between clean side of can and intake.

connect valve cover to dirty side of can

connect valley cover to fresh air port on airbox

that's your best bet with your current equipment.

other than that you need one of my catch cans, which are built to accommodate blow-by unlike any other.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks. I will hook up as you suggest. I am going to VIR next Fri so I can see how it does. I was planning on running another line from port on d/s valve cover (currently capped) to tee into p/s valve cover line. Is that a waste of time with your suggested configuration?

And finally, what will I gain using your catch can in dealing with blow by? Can it collect all the oil that comes out of valve cover before going back into intake? It is a lot of oil. Also, which can will I need - breathered or non? If I order today, how soon can I get it? I don't care about color or any of that.

BTW - thanks for the help.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

forgot to answer your other question.

ls6 and ls2 valley covers i BELIEVE are just made different to accommodate the block features.. nothing siginficant with the pick up point. and that they are both fixed orifices and no real 'pcv' valve.

not here just to sell you a catch can, but it does have some unique features you can't buy elsewhere. ill pm you.

Quick Reply: Anyone plumb a line from d/s valve cover