Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ls6 intake, what do I need to delete EGR

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ls6 intake, what do I need to delete EGR

I have a 98 ls1, but have an ls6 intake on the way. I need to delete the EGR, can anyone tell me exactly what /how many plates I will end up using to delete this?

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2013, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Is it a new or used intake? If its new it will be blocked already...
Old 06-28-2013, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

An LS6 intake won't have any ports that needs blocked. The only port that'll need blocked will be on the bottom passenger side of the manifold/header. If your deleting the AIR at the same time you'll need 3 of the little metal plates. If not just the one. Remember your ses light will come on when you ditch the EGR stuff to.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just what everyone said, you'll just need the plates for the exhaust manifolds, or wait to put the intake on until you do headers (if you're doing headers) and buy headers with no emissions hook ups and you won't have to buy plates. If you delete your AIR too there's a bracket holding the pump inside your front bumper. I went all out and took EVERYTHING out, the bracket, the pump, all the hoses, the little bracket on the back of the block, the relay, the fuse, etc. Be careful when doing this swap, the oil pressure sending unit gets broken by the brake booster line if you're not careful, easy to replace but $60 for a new one.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmarilloWS6
Just what everyone said, you'll just need the plates for the exhaust manifolds, or wait to put the intake on until you do headers (if you're doing headers) and buy headers with no emissions hook ups and you won't have to buy plates. If you delete your AIR too there's a bracket holding the pump inside your front bumper. I went all out and took EVERYTHING out, the bracket, the pump, all the hoses, the little bracket on the back of the block, the relay, the fuse, etc. Be careful when doing this swap, the oil pressure sending unit gets broken by the brake booster line if you're not careful, easy to replace but $60 for a new one.
+1 x 10
Old 06-29-2013, 02:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bestlude
+1 x 10
Ask me how I know
Old 06-29-2013, 02:27 AM
Launching!

When I did my ls6 intake swap I removed the hose from the booster and snaked it back so it was mostly out of the way of the OPSU
Old 06-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys! I already have headers, so I'll need the plates. The ls6 intake is USED off of a Camaro that had 60k on it. From my understanding, the ls6's never had egr so there is nothing to block on the intake itself, correct?

And thanks for the tip on the oil sending unit, I'll be sure to be careful!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yea, they're nothing on the intake that will need to be blocked. Only the one port on the bottom of the header on the passenger side. I would soak those bolts in something a few days before you try to unbolt them. I've broken a lot of them off. I actually ended up pulling the headers and just welding up the AIR and EGR bungs. You'll also have to chisel the ribs off the bottom of the intake unless you have 01-02 coolant lines. Might not be a bad idea to remove the knock sensor seals and waterproof them with rtv while the intakes off.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
Yea, they're nothing on the intake that will need to be blocked. Only the one port on the bottom of the header on the passenger side. I would soak those bolts in something a few days before you try to unbolt them. I've broken a lot of them off. I actually ended up pulling the headers and just welding up the AIR and EGR bungs. You'll also have to chisel the ribs off the bottom of the intake unless you have 01-02 coolant lines. Might not be a bad idea to remove the knock sensor seals and waterproof them with rtv while the intakes off.
Sounds good! I believe I busted a line on my knock sensors which is the reason I decided I might as well upgrade the intake awhile ive got it off.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: New ls6 intake, what do I need to delete EGR