LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   resonated exhaust tips (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1675124-resonated-exhaust-tips.html)

HCI2000SS 09-10-2013 06:41 PM

resonated exhaust tips

Long story short...I just swapped out my goofy ass rectangular exhaust tips, for a set of Silverline 3.5" baffled tips. They are round of course, and have a perforated core probably somewhat like certain mufflers I would imagine. My question is this...do any of you know if they will break in over time like a muffler does, and become a bit louder? I ask because even though the tone is great (nice, deep, and refined) it's almost a bit too quiet for my liking. Mind you I have longtubes, ORY W/FM merge, and a Magnaflow 14419 bullet style muffler. Before the new tips it was definitely a little louder, but after a few weeks the Magnaflow started to break and get louder as well, so i'm hoping these tips will do the same more or less. What do you guys think?

crainholio 09-10-2013 07:16 PM

Long story short...I guess "Internal Engine" is too difficult to understand for some folks.

HCI2000SS 09-10-2013 09:04 PM

Okay, not sure where you are going with that but that's cool lol. Anyone else? The tips were given to me for free, and my other tips were causing a weird humming sound around 2k, so I thought i'd give these a shot.

DACTARI 09-10-2013 09:33 PM

This is the internal engine subforum. You want external engine.

HCI2000SS 09-11-2013 04:38 AM

Oh I guess I didn't realize that. Thanks

orthopod 09-14-2013 09:57 PM

Thought the Magnaflow 14419 had stainless mesh packing and not fiberglass like the Dynomax bullets. I'm thinking of going with two of these to quiet down my short little chambered bullets right now. I know its subjective but how much did they break in?

RevGTO 09-14-2013 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS (Post 17676920)
My question is this...do any of you know if they will break in over time like a muffler does, and become a bit louder? I ask because even though the tone is great (nice, deep, and refined) it's almost a bit too quiet for my liking.

I don't think so. I put resonator tips on my GMMG with LT's and they really helped quiet down the rasp while letting deep tones through - exactly what I wanted. Had a different type on my 01 TA with Hooker Aerochamber to the same effect. That's what they're designed to do: soften and deepen the sound on exit from the tailpipes.

HCI2000SS 09-14-2013 11:00 PM

Yes the Maganflow muffler did get noticably louder over tha last few weeks, but the tips made it noticably quiter again.

RevGTO, you must be 100% right, because my brother just informed me (he gave them to me for free) that he bought these tips used, so they would've definitely been broken in by now if that was even a factor