Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudest Cutout Location possible? Pictures

Old 01-23-2014, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Open headers sounds like ****, even with a stock cam.

I had to drive mine to the muffler shop after my header install, to get the rest of the exhaust installed, and it sounded horrible. It was very loud though, and it gave me a headache just driving it a couple of miles to the shop.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About 85% of the pop install it in the I pipe, no need really to do smething different unless you have dual cutouts. I pipe will be fine honestly.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Man
I've never actually heard a longtube/cammed LSX open header in person.

I would imagine an LSX has to sound great with a large cam, long tubes, and open cutouts, especially at Idle.

If it sounds like garbage when accelerating, I should be able to get some resonators and tune the sound some, correct?

Open headers and open cutouts sound quite different surprisingly. And even with the cutouts as close to the headers as mine are, open headers is severely louder and more violent sounding.

Both sound better at idle than under load at part throttle.

Theoretically yes you could but the more stuff you keep adding the more weight you are adding.

If you mount them close to the front be aware it makes everything that can rattle and vibrate in the cabin do so. A lot. My car is fairly tight and rattle free but every little thing makes noise with them open. Also be aware having them open messes with the fuel trims which can lead to engine stalling and the car running rich

Here are some sound clips of my idle open cutouts, loud and decent sounding at idle but I don't care much for the tones compared to a hot SBC or BBC (or SBF or Ford Modular for that matter):

You can hear it under load during the burnout and race here, the 2011 is very quiet in comparison. It sounds much worse in the car than it does in the videos so maybe it's not horrible outside the car, but from inside the tone with them open is god awful:

Old 01-23-2014, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Man
Haha thanks for the input guys.

I would be driving with the cutout closed 90% of the time. My 3" magnaflow cat back is VERY quiet and sounds stock. The car will have about 400-430rwhp and I am installing the cutouts for the fun factor, not for performance. So why not have them as loud as they can be, especially if I will only use them only 10% of the time?(unless it is due to my last statement of this post) If were to be way to loud I would be able to close the cutouts partially, correct?

I had a cutout installed on the I pipe right under the rear seat when I was running my 305TPI. I had stock exhaust with a gutted cat. With the cutout open it was actually on the quiet side. Many other Fbodys and mustangs were noticeably louder with gutted cats and loud mufflers. I'd hate to have an entire header back system fabbed up, just for the car to be on the quiet side. (I do know a Cammed, Longtube LS1 will be louder than the 305).

Now trashy is a concern. Are you saying trashy simply because it will be so loud, or due to tone? My 305 sounded "trashy" because it had tons of rasp, however a down pipe solved most of it.
I've experimented with a few different setups and here are some of my thoughts:

Right off the headers is going to be loud and (IMHO) it sounds terrible. All volume, ZERO tone. Adding turn downs will help, but not to the point where it solves the underlying issue of being loud and raspy.

If you already have long-tube headers and an off-road y-pipe setup, you can put it right after the merge on the y-pipe or (for clearance and convenience), in the intermediate pipe under the passenger seat. I ended up settling on the latter and have been very pleased.

That setup isn't lacking in volume, however there will still be some rasp when it's completely open. Two ways to help remedy that would be to partially open the cutout so you get the benefit of the tone of the catback or add a turndown on the cutout (QTP sells a nice piece that bolts right onto the flange). I employ a combination of those two remedies and love the fact that I have a TON of volume in the exhaust note coupled with an appealing tone and minimal rasp in my setup.

My setup is: TSP 1 7/8" headers, TSP ORY, 3" intermediate pipe with electric cutout to a Magnaflow catback. Let me know if you need a sound clip and I can try to post a video.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Midnight02
I've experimented with a few different setups and here are some of my thoughts: Right off the headers is going to be loud and (IMHO) it sounds terrible. All volume, ZERO tone. Adding turn downs will help, but not to the point where it solves the underlying issue of being loud and raspy. If you already have long-tube headers and an off-road y-pipe setup, you can put it right after the merge on the y-pipe or (for clearance and convenience), in the intermediate pipe under the passenger seat. I ended up settling on the latter and have been very pleased. That setup isn't lacking in volume, however there will still be some rasp when it's completely open. Two ways to help remedy that would be to partially open the cutout so you get the benefit of the tone of the catback or add a turndown on the cutout (QTP sells a nice piece that bolts right onto the flange). I employ a combination of those two remedies and love the fact that I have a TON of volume in the exhaust note coupled with an appealing tone and minimal rasp in my setup. My setup is: TSP 1 7/8" headers, TSP ORY, 3" intermediate pipe with electric cutout to a Magnaflow catback. Let me know if you need a sound clip and I can try to post a video.
Does the turndown make that much of a difference? Considering getting one after reading this.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did my handmade cable operated cutout right at the end of my x- pipe on my true duals, basically turning flow back into a y-pipe. I ovaled a 4" pipe to get a larger opening from my 2.5" X-pipe. Also made a megaphone shaped SS exhaust tip to amplify sound. See my now outdated you tube link. It does sound better in person, draws a crowd.
Longer lengths of pipe generally give a more pleasing sound.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
i'm sure the engineers at chevy and porsche considered performance when placing thier cutouts....not just focusing on having the loudest car in the trailer park.
Lololol
Old 01-23-2014, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

if you want direct comparisons of a thirdgen ls1 with cutout then here some examples.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:02 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

You want the cutout to have the most direct path, not split off the side of the "Y" pipe like most kits run. The "kick out" to the side should be your normal exhaust flow to the muffler. Then put a megaphone after the cutout and you'll have the loudest (most annoying) setup possible.

like so...

Old 01-23-2014, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
You want the cutout to have the most direct path, not split off the side of the "Y" pipe like most kits run. The "kick out" to the side should be your normal exhaust flow to the muffler. Then put a megaphone after the cutout and you'll have the loudest (most annoying) setup possible. like so...
You'll also be voted neighbor of the year like I was!
Old 01-24-2014, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
You'll also be voted neighbor of the year like I was!
Lol same here. I think the most reasonable place to put it is in the i pipe. I would never run 2 cutouts just for the fact that its double the money, for minuscule gains, and might make it a tad louder.....
Old 01-24-2014, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have my cutout placed right under the rear passenger seat and its pretty loud. I hate driving around with it fully open due to the fact that rasp is pretty bad with an unlocked converter. At idle or WOT it sounds great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loudest Cutout Location possible? Pictures