Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas smell in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas smell in cabin

Having a horrible gasoline/natural gas smell that is coming through the vents during highway driving. Even with the windows open, and going 70, the interior is unbearable (my climate control recirc doesn't currently work).

Where could the smell be coming from? I feel like I've checked everything under the hood. I do have a breather on the valve cover. I sometimes smell a nasty smell from the breather, but it isn't this gassy smell. Could an injector be getting stuck open intermittently and then the smell is from the gas in the block being pushed out the breather? What would the symptoms of a stuck injector be when you are at highway speeds?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Teching In

anyone?
Old 08-20-2014, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the feed & return line from the fuel tank. Jump (with a wire) the fuel pump on the fuse box and get the pump to start pumping and trace it down.

Chad
Old 08-21-2014, 01:08 AM
Teching In

not sure if its a leak....I've keyed on/off like crazy and tried to find gas without any luck. It only happens once in a while. When it happens it is horrible though.

What symptoms does a stuck open injector have when you are at cruising speeds?
Old 08-22-2014, 02:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive heard of catalytic converters makein some terrible smells
Old 08-22-2014, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure what vehicle, age, or mileage you are asking about.

When it happens is the motor running hotter or colder than normal?

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If your fuel pressure is running high, intermittently, it could be finding a week connection. A faulty regulator could cause inconsistent fuel pressure.

You could have a leaking injector o-ring.

Check all the connections on the fuel lines and rails. Don't just look at them, use a piece of tissue and see if it shows and dampness.

If an injector was sticking open your engine would run ruff. Check your plugs and see if one smell like fuel or looks like it isn't firing.

A sticking injector might also show up on you O2 sensor. If you have a means to monitor the O2's it might help.

Hope you can figure it out fuel smell in the cab suck and can be dangerous!

Good luck
Craig
Old 08-22-2014, 07:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you find no 'evidence' of a fuel leak then it may be coming from the tank vent or if your gas cap is not securely fit onto the neck. Does it only do it when you have a full tank of gas? Gas expands in the tank when its hot and may be coming out of the tank or pushing fumes out.

Chad
Old 08-22-2014, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ss performance
Not sure what vehicle, age, or mileage you are asking about.

When it happens is the motor running hotter or colder than normal?

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If your fuel pressure is running high, intermittently, it could be finding a week connection. A faulty regulator could cause inconsistent fuel pressure.

You could have a leaking injector o-ring.

Check all the connections on the fuel lines and rails. Don't just look at them, use a piece of tissue and see if it shows and dampness.

If an injector was sticking open your engine would run ruff. Check your plugs and see if one smell like fuel or looks like it isn't firing.

A sticking injector might also show up on you O2 sensor. If you have a means to monitor the O2's it might help.

Hope you can figure it out fuel smell in the cab suck and can be dangerous!

Good luck
Craig
Thank you. I still start checking these things. It only seems to happen after the car has been driven for 1-2 hours. So on long trips it starts up. I'll have to pay attention to fuel levels. I know this last time I had a full tank when I started, but I had driven for an hour or so before it started up.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ss4chad
If you find no 'evidence' of a fuel leak then it may be coming from the tank vent or if your gas cap is not securely fit onto the neck. Does it only do it when you have a full tank of gas? Gas expands in the tank when its hot and may be coming out of the tank or pushing fumes out.

Chad

Interesting. I know the vent for the c5 is back behind the rear wheel, not sure if it would stink up the cabin from that location though??

Quick Reply: Gas smell in cabin