Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Airfilter Intake piping, Any Adverse Effects?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Airfilter Intake piping, Any Adverse Effects?

Did some brainstorming on setting up a cold air intake system on my lsx thirdgen, and came up with a pretty awesome Idea that draws in some cold air.

The Intake pipe would have to be about 3-4 feet long, where it will meet a dual snorkel filter setup. Will such a long intake pipe have any adverse effects on performance?
Old 09-11-2014, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

You are probably better off trying to adapt an over the radiator setup if at all possible. Direct shot of cold air with a straight intake path is better than a long pipe through the engine bay (which will get hot) and turbulent bends

Just my $.02
Old 09-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh, see that's ideal, but I run into hood clearance.

What I have thought of has a 90 bend at the intake manifold, goes underneath the radiatior, and comes up in front of the radiator, which would pull in cold air, especially while the car is moving, as it pulls in air through the grille insert.

Heres a quick CAD model.

Radiator would be right where the bottom "U" is.

And doing so would sit the filters right here. Which wouldn't be nearly as noticeable in person, as this isn't drawn to scale, but you get the point.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Man
Where did you get a DOHC LS1?
Old 09-12-2014, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I would see about cutting off the neck and plastic welding a larger one onto a TPI ram air setup. Use the airbox shown below then cut out underneath where the filters rest and install scoops. A friend had a stock airbox like this with the scoops (stock size exit neck) and it was not a restriction on his cam/bolt on LT1 swapped 3rd gen. Looks clean and gets cool air while still giving a straight shot into the intake.

Quick Reply: Long Airfilter Intake piping, Any Adverse Effects?