Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Coolant Crossover VS LQ4 valley Pan

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Coolant Crossover VS LQ4 valley Pan

Hi guys and gals,

I was doing some re-assembly tonight and discovered that the LS1 coolant crossover tube i have from my original engine will not play nicely with the LQ4 valley cover on my rebuilt 6.0L LQ4.

Couple things,

1) Can i just reuse my LS1 Valley cover on the LQ4 block and reuse the LS1 coolant crossover ?
2)Do i need to buy the cross over tube(s) for an LQ4?
3) For the time being i will be using my LS1 intake on the LQ4. Will this be an issue with the LQ4 valley pan?

Thanks,
Phil

Note the red plastic cover on the end of the LQ4 PCV tube. This hits the stock LS1 crossover tube.

Note the red plastic cover on the end of the LQ4 PCV tube. This hits the stock LS1
Old 01-01-2015, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can use the ls1 valley on your 6.0. I did, but now am switching to the valley cover that you have now. All you need to do is bend the tubes a bit. As far as using an LS1 intake, I am not sure, mine is fitting under a FAST
Old 01-03-2015, 10:23 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

First off, the LS6 valley cover with PCV is light years ahead of the LS1 style PCV system. By all means keep the LS6 valley cover/PCV setup.

Yes, bend the tubes a bit to get them to clear the valley cover to use the LS1 intake manifold. This will probably become an issue with the LS6 manifold as it has a lower & flatter bottom.

It WILL be an issue with a F.A.S.T. manifold, you'll need to go with another coolant crossover setup.

I suggest you arrange a different setup now. Some folks block off the rears but many (including me) like four corner cooling-every little bit helps.

In addition to a few GM tube styles, you can find coolant port blocks you can add fittings to and run your own hoses to Y-blocks.

Here's a few GM tubes with numbers. To do front & rear, you'd need to hose them together then to the radiator.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

totally ignore what I said. I must have test fit it with my original ls1 valley before I put my car away months ago.

I removed the ribs under the LS6 intake to run the original corner setup, I bent and lowered the tubes in the 4 corner setup to run under a FAST 90 all using the factory LS1 valley.

I just uncovered my motor and studied it and no way can the stock 4 corner setup work with this LS6 valley. Not at all. I will have coolant going to all 4 corners no matter what, need to look at the different tubes and figure something out to have it continue to flow everywhere.

sorry for the confusion
Old 01-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys,

Since i am keeping the LS1 intake for now, i was able to bend the tubing slightly to fit right under the PCV tube coming off of the valley cover.

When i can upgrade to the FAST setup, i will need to use one of the other solutions you guys have listed.

Thanks Again,
Phil

Quick Reply: LS1 Coolant Crossover VS LQ4 valley Pan