LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   High end oil filters examined (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1765917-high-end-oil-filters-examined.html)

Paul Bell 01-11-2015 11:08 PM

High end oil filters examined

I’ve decided to do a “high end” oil filter comparison for automotive type filters. High end meaning filters with a synthetic filter media. The contenders are:
-Fleetguard with Stratapore media;
-Amsoil Ea;
-Royal Purple;
-Wix XP;
-Fram Ultra.

I’ve also included two “standard, off the shelf” filters:
-Mobil1 Extended;
-Fram Xtra Guard.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...d29c676284.jpg

Starting with the standard filters, the Mobil1 is a high quality filter using metal end caps and nice looking pleats. The media joint is glued together, a minus in oil filters. It has a can thickness of .0230 inch.

The Fram Xtra Guard has cardboard end caps. For this one reason alone is why most Fram filters should be avoided. The pleats are few and not evenly spaced. It does have a steel crimp to join the media ends. The can thickness is .0170 inch.

Standard filters were included to show what’s out there in the “normal” auto parts store. The Mobil1 Extended is similar to a K&N, WIX (non-XP), Hastings, Bosch, etc, or most of the higher priced filters. Many of these will do you just fine. The Fram is the bottom of the barrel, similar to store brands, STP, Penzoil, no name brands and some ACDelco filters. Many of these filters have a plastic center tube. It’s best to steer away from any of these filters.

Moving onto the high end filters:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...3a11e53f36.jpg

Amsoil: It has two layers of filter media, the inner one is a thinner but tough sheet. The outer is a fluffy material. Under it all is metal screening. The media ends are glued together. The can thickness is .0250 inch. Stamped steel bypass spring.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...22c1b1b5d0.jpg

Fram Ultra: A single layer of filter media with a reinforcing screen is used here. Steel crimped media ends. The can thickness is .0180 inch. Stamped steel bypass spring.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...1d840fdd37.jpg

Royal Purple: It has two layers of filter media, the inner is a thinner sheet. The outer is a fluffy material. Underneath is metal screening. Glued media ends. Can thickness is .0210 inch. Stamped steel bypass spring.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...47417a0bde.jpg

Wix XP: Two layers of filter media, they're both pretty tough but the same. Metal screening backs it up. .0140 inch can thickness. Coil spring bypass spring.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...f9342bd151.jpg

Fleetguard: It has two layers of filter media, the inner one is a thinner but tough sheet. The outer is a fluffy material. Under it all is metal screening. Steel crimped media ends. The can thickness is .0360 inch. Coil spring bypass spring.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...2698aaa6a6.jpg

Conclusion: Any of these high end synthetic media filters are plenty better than a regular filter. All will serve you well, even the Fram. Out of the bunch, I rate the Fleetguard King of the Hill-it has the best features throughout: Top shelf media, crimped media ends, the thickest can. It’s hard to find and not all applications are available with the Stratapore media. I’d rate the WIX XP next and the Royal Purple third with the Amsoil & Fram behind. But it’s a tight race, all are very good. The WIX XP is very close to the Amsoil (with the exception of the bypass spring) and identical to the NAPA Platinum-WIX makes all three filters.

Buyer beware! There are counterfeits out there, usually found online. The Fram Ultra is stocked at Walmart. The lesser non-Stratapore Fleetguard filters can be pretty poor, some built like the cardboard Fram filters.

96LT1Z 01-12-2015 01:13 AM

Good write up!

Would love to see a WIX Racing filter not just the XP

Paul Bell 01-12-2015 01:22 AM

I'll see if I can get one but it's not for the street. Like most racing filters, it has a pretty high micron rating and allows higher flow-along with more dirt to pass through.

01ssreda4 01-12-2015 07:26 AM

Interesting info...

dr_whigham 01-12-2015 09:33 AM

I used to run a regular WIX myself. I might have to check and see if this "XP" is available.

Paul I'd like to see the regular WIX (like a 51522). Currently running a K&N simply because it's easy to install and remove.

Paul Bell 01-12-2015 09:50 AM

On the list sir.

Rise of the Phoenix 01-12-2015 10:03 AM

Thanks Paul. The Wix filter can be had off the shelf too at places like Advanced Auto and O'Reily's. I opted for the longer Wix filter when I did my last oil change.

LS1-450 01-12-2015 11:21 AM

Paul or anyone using the Wix 51522. Does the double thick filter media cause an oil pressure drop? For example: pressure is 60 psi @ idle using "X" brand filter & drops to 50 psi @ idle using the Wix 51522.

mac62989 01-12-2015 12:12 PM

Very informative thanks. My yearly oil change is coming up in less than 2 months.

redgto4u 01-12-2015 12:43 PM

How do all these compare in price?

01ssreda4 01-12-2015 01:25 PM

I buy the Wix in the MP (mechanics pack) for $60 per dozen. So that's $5 a filter shipped.

SSCamaro99_3 01-12-2015 01:31 PM

As far a pressure, I run an Ea064, I am at 60+psi cold and 45ish at operating temp.

Paul Bell 01-12-2015 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix (Post 18614161)
Thanks Paul. The Wix filter can be had off the shelf too at places like Advanced Auto and O'Reily's.

We have Advance here in the NY area. I stopped in one. Sadly, the two rocket scientists who happened to be re-stocking oil filters in the filter isle never heard of WIX.

Rise of the Phoenix 01-12-2015 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Bell (Post 18614815)

We have Advance here in the NY area. I stopped in one. Sadly, the two rocket scientists who happened to be re-stocking oil filters in the filter isle never heard of WIX.

Yeah, most those guys who work in places like that are pretty damn smart.

79_T/A 01-12-2015 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 (Post 18614495)
I buy the Wix in the MP (mechanics pack) for $60 per dozen. So that's $5 a filter shipped.

Is this for theXP filter? Got any links to purchase? I change my oil so often this would save a ton of money.

LS1-450 01-12-2015 06:50 PM

Wix is a NAPA sold product.

dr_whigham 01-12-2015 08:27 PM

Or o'Reillys

Paul Bell 01-12-2015 08:46 PM

Wix should be available in various places. Some NAPA filters are made by Wix.

JDEP162 01-12-2015 11:26 PM

Good info thanks for the write up.

leadfoot4 01-13-2015 07:41 AM

I used to work part-time, for Advance Auto Parts, as a delivery driver. I know for a fact, that Advance doesn't carry Wix filters, they have contracts with Purolator, AC Delco, Motorcraft, Mann, Mobil1, and K&N. Of course, I've also been in Autozone, and I don't recall seeing Wix there, either.

If I need a Wix filter, I have to go to the locally owned parts store, who is affiliated with the 'Parts Plus' buying group.

FWIW, based on the information I got from the 'bobistheoilguy.com' site, I've been using Baldwin oil filters for a number of years. Their filtering media isn't synthetic, but the filtering rates and flow rates seem to be a good balance. Unfortunately for me, they're not sold everywhere, and I either have to go 18 miles across town, or mail order from a Baldwin distributor.

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix (Post 18614829)
Yeah, most those guys who work in places like that are pretty damn smart.

Was that really necessary?

Rise of the Phoenix 01-13-2015 09:06 AM

Speaking strictly from experiences I've had with the one in Jefferson City.

blackbyrd 01-13-2015 09:36 AM

good read, and interesting you managed to find a fleetguard filter

LS1-450 01-13-2015 10:11 AM

Anyone else have pressure numbers to add? Would be nice to build & have an archive of oil filter/pressure reference. Of course it is important that the results from one filter to the next be tested on the same engine.

For example: The poster might say that on "X" (the posters' car) Amsoil filter made 60 @ idle cold & 50 @ temp. The Wix made 58 @ idle & 46 @ temp. The Royal purple made 60 @ idle & 52 @ temp...etc. These are just examples, not posted as ref material.

Could also include pressure @ WOT.

mac62989 01-13-2015 10:47 AM

I have never seen an O'Rieleys but Im hoping I can find it at Nappa down the street from me. I was able to find the Wix Xp on Amazon for $11.04, not sure if thats a good deal but thatll be my last resort if I cant find it locally.

mjs1012 01-14-2015 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by mac62989 (Post 18615930)
I have never seen an O'Rieleys but Im hoping I can find it at Nappa down the street from me. I was able to find the Wix Xp on Amazon for $11.04, not sure if thats a good deal but thatll be my last resort if I cant find it locally.

There's a small place in Milford I got a Wix XP from a few years ago, I'm sure they still sell them. Normally I just use a Napa gold or Car Quest blue filter since they are both the same thing made by Wix.

mac62989 01-15-2015 07:37 AM

^Good to know

ss4chad 01-15-2015 12:02 PM

Can I assume that all of the oil filters tested are applicable (and installable) to/on an LS1 engine?

Chad

Paul Bell 01-16-2015 10:27 PM

The Fleetguard and Wix do but they're taller than stock and will stick under the oil pan just a bit.

JP 01-16-2015 10:48 PM

You can order a wix xp off amsoil.com for 9.10ea
Not sure of the going rate just letting people know.

dr_whigham 01-17-2015 06:54 AM

What's the difference between the regular black wix filters and the XP's?

I asked this earlier about the regular wix and you said "it's up there" and well, no, it's not up there.

Maybe when I get home later this month I'll buy a few, like a Purolator, Puraolator pure 1, regular black wix, and even a K&N and add to this.

SoxXpupPeT 01-17-2015 07:57 AM

Good writeup! If people want to see other filters examined they should donate them. Im sure this can get pretty expensive for Paul.

Robert Cantu 01-17-2015 08:02 AM

I use K&N oil fters test those.

dr_whigham 01-17-2015 08:10 AM

Sheer curiosity here, but all we're doing is looking at the media. Is it really telling us anything? There's no "testing" going on so to speak.

Just a thought.

ss performance 01-17-2015 09:27 AM

One of the key factors in selecting a filter should be the size of the particle filtered.

How many micro?

ss performance 01-17-2015 09:33 AM

Amsoil EA 15K32 20 micron
Wix 51042 10 micron

However the Wix stated it captures more 10-12 micron particles than other cellulose/synthetic blend medias. Not that it had 10 micron mesh.

If I have time later I will look up other filters.

Paul Bell 01-21-2015 12:36 AM

Thanks SS, that's interesting.

ss performance 01-21-2015 09:50 AM

I went to the web sites for the other filters. None of them listed a micron size. I find this interesting. They use to list that kind of information.

6togo 01-28-2015 10:59 PM

I'm looking for a filter i can find locally like the Napa gold,Plat or Wix xp so i dont have to rely on ordering fleetguards and finding them. Does Napa make a long Plat. filter and how much different is it from the Wix XP and Gold's i know Wix makes them all?

Rise of the Phoenix 01-29-2015 07:02 AM

I looked, and I'm using the WIX 57045 filter. Is this considered an "xp" filter, and if not, what is the difference. This particular filter is the longer version.

Paul Bell 01-29-2015 07:55 AM

It's not the XP version.

The XP versions have XP in the number and on the can.

The regular version has the standard paper media. It's a very good regular filter on par with a K&N or Mobil1 Extended.

The XP version has a synthetic media that's backed by a metal screening. It will filter better and last longer.

Rise of the Phoenix 01-29-2015 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Bell (Post 18640999)
It's not the XP version.

The XP versions have XP in the number and on the can.

The regular version has the standard paper media. It's a very good regular filter on par with a K&N or Mobil1 Extended.

The XP version has a synthetic media that's backed by a metal screening. It will filter better and last longer.

Thanks Paul! What would be the WIX XP part number for the WIX 57045 that I'm currently using?

ss performance 01-29-2015 08:55 AM

Here is a site for cross referencing oil filters.

http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/

6togo 01-29-2015 09:05 AM

Any help with my questions?

Rise of the Phoenix 01-29-2015 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ss performance (Post 18641093)
Here is a site for cross referencing oil filters.

http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/

Thanks, but I don't see any "XP" Wix filter when I put in the other Wix part number. EDIT: I looked back at what filter I used prior to the WIX, and it was the PF48, so when I cross referenced that filter, the WIX 57060 XP pulls up as compatible. That is what I'll use in conjunction with Joe Gibbs LS30 when I do my oil change in the spring.

Paul Bell 01-29-2015 05:06 PM

For reference folks, IF a Wix filter is available in the XP version, it'll have an XP at the end of the number.

Here's what they have: http://wixfilters.com/wixxp/XPFlyer.pdf

Paul Bell 01-29-2015 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by 6togo (Post 18640728)
I'm looking for a filter i can find locally like the Napa gold,Plat or Wix xp so i dont have to rely on ordering fleetguards and finding them. Does Napa make a long Plat. filter and how much different is it from the Wix XP and Gold's i know Wix makes them all?

The NAPA Gold is a decent filter but not a (higher end) synthetic media filter.

What vehicle do you have?

The NAPA platinum is or should be identical to the Wix XP filters, Wix makes ALL NAPA filters now.

It's my experience that no NAPA store stocks the platinum filter. You can order it and I'd imagine it's one day's wait.

Other than online, I've yet to find anybody that stocks the Wix XP filters.

The general buying consumer pays more for premium gas at the pump when it makes no difference to their vehicle yet will buy a four dollar filter before a six or seven dollar filter. Retail stores dedicate limited shelf space to what sells most, not what sell least.

mac62989 01-29-2015 06:42 PM

What part # am I looking for Wix Xp?

Paul Bell 01-29-2015 06:49 PM

Look it up here http://wixfilters.com/Lookup/filterlookup.aspx then see if they have the same number with "XP" at the end.

6togo 01-29-2015 09:40 PM

I have a Buick GN conversion with a LSX 427 with twins and a custom oil pan with a stock filter adapter. I dont plan on putting any sort of cheap filter on this build that's why i'm here asking!

Rise of the Phoenix 02-03-2015 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by mac62989 (Post 18642085)
What part # am I looking for Wix Xp?

Use PF46 (AC Delco) as the cross reference filter in the link posted above. When you put that in, it will pull up all the compatible WIX filters. My WS6 has a different oil pan, and uses a PF48 filter, so my WIX part number is going to be different than yours. The correct WIX XP filter part number I need is 57060 XP.

6togo 02-03-2015 11:43 AM

The Napa platinum long filter # is 41522 and it's in stock local to me I would guess it's the same as the Wix 51522xp correct?

Paul Bell 02-03-2015 07:21 PM

Yessir.

6togo 02-03-2015 07:40 PM

Good deal and Thanks for all the research you vested in these filters!

Guitar 02-13-2015 07:17 AM

And the guy at AutoZone looked at me funny when I said I didn't want his 'deal' with a Fram filter lol.

Nice writeup.

Paul Bell 02-13-2015 08:37 AM

Yeah, I get that all the time.

Most of the people working at Auto Zone, Pep Boys and Advanced have no clue what the parts are.

I once asked at Auto Zone to see their belt gauge and the guy started looking in the fuel, oil & temperature gauge section to find a belt gauge.

LS1-450 02-26-2015 07:31 AM

Just wanted to thank Paul Bell for starting this thread. It has provided us w/ some good alternative filter options. Also, great to see a filters' internal design.

As to the auto parts store clerk comments; come one guys, these are just hard working people making next to nothing. They usually have better than average knowledge, that's it. Kinda silly to expect anything more. The people that we'd like to find working in these stores are using their skills @ much higher paying jobs.

Paul Bell 04-14-2015 07:33 PM

I'd like to update this folks.

I recently ordered a Fleetguard filter from Wheeling Truck-where I normally get the correct filter with the synthetic Statapore media.

This one came as junk. It has a crimped can and standard filter media. Certainly not a $16 filter, more like a $3 filter.

I'm sending it back and I have a few Wix XP filters on the way.

drain89 04-16-2015 11:55 PM

Excellent info Paul!

tbot 04-20-2015 03:52 AM

Working in the heavy duty industry, we only stock Fleetguard filters. I'd check the micron rating for it, but the site is down (has been all night, made work tonight kinda rough). But knowing what their other filters are rated at for micron level I'm guessing its similar and rated at 25 microns.

The other thing to consider as well, the larger filters, like the fleetguard, offer a longer required change interval for the filter itself. Basically the amount of oil it can filter before it starts loosing it's efficiency rating.

Paul Bell 04-20-2015 10:19 AM

tbot, I would imagine the larger industrial Fleetguard filters are the proper filter but if this is how they're now making the LF16104 that fits out LS engines, I can no longer recommend it's use.

Here's a comparison of what it SHOULD be to what they're now shipping:
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...099d021991.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...e4c9dc3c23.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...23c4eb8361.jpg

tbot 04-20-2015 12:00 PM

I would have to completely agree with you Paul, however there are a couple things I noticed right away about the shitty filter that don't look right to me.

First off, the good filter has the small black "printer testing marks" above and to the sides of the filter number.

Secondly, the good filter actually says "lube filter" under the filter number in the red mark.

Thirdly, the good filter is smooth all the way from top to bottom and the shittt one has the pleats toward the very bottom.

Then there's the whole inside differences. Dealing with these on a daily basis and getting shipments every week directly from Cummins, to me the filter on the right looks like a knock off.

I'm going to do some more digging today and make some phone calls to see what I come up with. Hopefully I can get in touch with our rep, but I have a few places I can call.

Paul Bell 04-20-2015 12:39 PM

I've been sourcing them from Wheeling Truck Supply, whom I totally trust. They tell me this filter was fresh stock direct from Fleetguard.

wayland1985 05-28-2015 11:00 AM

Interesting read. I thought I was doing my motor a favor by purchasing the Mobil 1 filters, but I guess I'll have to upgrade.

I'm curious, though: are there any reputable placed to buy these online? I mean, Paul, you're finding knock offs at companies you actually trust... But you're familiar with these filters and know how to spot a fake..

Paul Bell 05-28-2015 12:06 PM

The Mobil1 filter is a very good filter and I use it for oil changes I do on "regular" cars. Keep using it without worries.

CoolAid 09-07-2015 10:20 PM

A Filtermag should do a good job turning a standard filter into a high end one.

I have this one:

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/ftm-ra300

Looks like they have new models or model names now though.

Paul Bell 09-08-2015 07:28 AM

The filter mag sticks to the outside of the filter can-which is metal. This greatly reduces the magnetic strength that's actually available inside the can.

Despite that, yes, they do attract some metal partials that might be in the oil.

However, if your oil has as much magnetic stuff to be attracted by the magnet as shown in their advertising, your engine has bigger problems than needing a filter mag.

A good quality oil filter and magnetic oil drain plug should be all you need. The drain plug will show stuff on it.

Having said this, it doesn't hurt anything to use it. If you have and wanna spend sixty bucks, go ahead.

CoolAid 09-08-2015 09:23 AM

FWIW, I used to find the normal small amount of metal dust on my mag plug before the Filtermag but the plug comes out clean without a trace after affixing the Filtermag.

It's not just a lame elementary school magnet. It usually takes a flat blade screwdriver to pry it off.

Firehawk C054 09-25-2015 08:28 AM

What are your thought on reusable oil filter. I had one for 95 TA, the only drawback is the cost. I ordered a new one for the firehawk, I will show pictures when I get it.

DavidBoren 09-28-2015 02:59 PM

Everyone reading this and choosing to make a switch, please post Brand A filter idle oil pressure, and Brand B filter idle oil pressure. If you can.

Pressure drop data and actual filter media micron ratings would both be nice to see.

Paul Bell 09-28-2015 05:08 PM

Keeping in mind that oil is usually changed at the same time as the filter, I'd bet that all fresh oil filters would result in the same PSI regardless of filter media being used.

S10xGN 09-30-2015 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Firehawk C054 (Post 18978586)
What are your thought on reusable oil filter. I had one for 95 TA, the only drawback is the cost. I ordered a new one for the firehawk, I will show pictures when I get it.

What did you get? I inquired awhile back about a "System One" filter and got lots of negativity...

Firehawk C054 09-30-2015 09:41 PM

This filter is from K & P enginering. I had no problems with this filter in the past. It is costly.

S10xGN 10-01-2015 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Firehawk C054 (Post 18985529)
This filter is from K & P enginering. I had no problems with this filter in the past. It is costly.

Hmmm, cheaper than the System One and better made to boot!

Jimbo1367 10-03-2015 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 (Post 18615654)

Was that really necessary?

Yes. YES it was.

miami993c297 10-24-2015 11:00 AM

Info on this KN Pro-Series 1007:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=ps-1007

Christian

Paul Bell 10-24-2015 11:28 AM

Many manufacturers offer "high flow racing" filters. Moroso, Wix and Fram all offer it. These filters usually have a high micron rating such as 60 microns, so they filter less dirt.

The Wix filter specifically says on it for race use only. Race cars typically see oil & filter changes after a few races and don't need to filter dirty high milage oil.

High flow race filters should not be used on street or DD vehicles.

Paul Bell 10-24-2015 06:44 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...95a37db7b9.jpg

MonmouthCtyLS7 10-24-2015 08:03 PM

I avoid Fram at all costs, usually stick to M1 or K&N.

Paul Bell 10-24-2015 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7 (Post 19014182)

Smart move!

99Bluz28 10-24-2015 10:53 PM

FYI, the K & P Engineering S16(complete assembly) fits the 98-2002 F-body, it filters down to 35 microns, an is easy to clean. I've had one (S16) on my Camaro for around 7 yrs and have never had any issues with it, other than the fact it doesn't come with any extra O-rings which you will eventually need. You can get the seals for a good price at McMaster-Carr. The O-rings are pt#90025K391 and come in a bag of 25 for $11.19. All it's component are available individually.

Retail price is $159.
Here's a list of S16 components part numbers:
Housing, C3
Quad Ring, QR2
Filter Element, FE16
Filter Element Retaining Spring, FERS1
Cup Wrench, CW1

X-ray 10-28-2015 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7 (Post 19014182)

Originally Posted by Paul Bell (Post 19014248)
Smart move!

However, the Fram Ultra is actually better than the Mobil 1 extended performance filter, correct?

Paul Bell 10-28-2015 07:41 PM

That would be correct. The M1 & K&N are good standard filters. The Fram Ultra is a high end filter with synthetic media and a screen backing, metal filter ends. Pretty decent. I'd use it-but I have shelf stock of the Wix XP filters.

7 of 10 01-03-2016 04:25 AM

pls. add NAPA GOLD to the list.

Paul Bell 01-03-2016 09:19 AM

Welcome to LS1tech!

The NAPA Gold filter has a glass enhanced paper media. It does NOT have a synthetic media, extra fluff or a metal screen that would put it in the class of "high end" that the five listed in post #1 are in.

It's a good filter but not what might be considered high end. This was already mentioned in post #46.

saccitycorvette 01-07-2016 05:47 PM

The Fram Racing Filter are really nice. They look very similar to the Mobil 1 filter. They sell them at Orielly.

Paul Bell 01-07-2016 06:20 PM

Yessir, they are "better" built then their regular cheapo stuff.

BUT, as it's a racing filter, it would have a high micron media to allow a higher flow rate. It should not be used for regular street or everyday cars.

Noted in post 76 & 77.

saccitycorvette 01-07-2016 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Bell (Post 19102754)
Yessir, they are "better" built then their regular cheapo stuff.

BUT, as it's a racing filter, it would have a high micron media to allow a higher flow rate. It should not be used for regular street or everyday cars.

Noted in post 76 & 77.

I cant find any specs from Fram on them (HP4) but I saw somewhere on the net that they filter 20 microns.

Paul Bell 01-07-2016 11:57 PM

I know WIX oil filters down to about 10 microns, their racing filters, 61 microns.

Moroso Racing filters are at 27 microns.

If I had a track only engine that might see an oil change after a weekend of racing, I'd probably go for the highest micron rating I could find to keep the flow rate up. No need for 10~20 micron filtering of oil that's used for a weekend, not 3 months/3,000 miles.

BlackDuk98 01-20-2016 11:59 AM

That 10 micron rating for wix that you mention, I cannot find any rating on those filters. Only the regular wix 51522 with a micron rating at 21.

Max flow rate on both the regular and the xp's are the same at 9-11 gpm

This is something that I found on bobstheoilguy. This is pertaining to a different part number filer, but using wix's website, they show the same specs for the 51522 lineup.

Hummm ... WIX shows "Beta Ratio: B2=20" for the XP.

That pretty much sucks, as that equates to: "50% efficient @ 20 microns".

The non-synthetic 51516 shows "Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20".

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...spx?Part=51516

That equates to:
"50% efficient @ 6 microns"
and
"95% efficient @ 20 microns".

jdoyle 04-19-2016 09:56 AM

Is running a WIX XP (specifically 51042XP) with a SEMI synthetic oil a no no? I popped into an oreillys recently and the xp filter's box says it is for full synthetic oil. Im trying out brad penn oil (semi synthetic) in my forged shortblock and dont want to create a problem. Thank you for posting this info for us and thank you in advance for answering my question

jdoyle 04-19-2016 04:38 PM

Wix 51042XP has a Beta Ratio of B2=20. I hear this means 50% filtration efficiency @ 20 microns. If that is the case, shouldnt this filter be avoided?

Paul Bell 04-19-2016 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by jdoyle (Post 19229751)
Is running a WIX XP (specifically 51042XP) with a SEMI synthetic oil a no no? I popped into an oreillys recently and the xp filter's box says it is for full synthetic oil. Im trying out brad penn oil (semi synthetic) in my forged shortblock and dont want to create a problem. Thank you for posting this info for us and thank you in advance for answering my question

I don't really think the oil filter cares what oil you put through it.

Originally Posted by jdoyle (Post 19230193)
Wix 51042XP has a Beta Ratio of B2=20. I hear this means 50% filtration efficiency @ 20 microns. If that is the case, shouldnt this filter be avoided?

What are the efficiency ratings of other filters?

jdoyle 04-19-2016 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Bell (Post 19230443)
I don't really think the oil filter cares what oil you put through it.

What are the efficiency ratings of other filters?

WIX 51042's beta ratio is given as 2/20=6/20 which is 50% filtration efficiency @ 6 microns or larger and 95% filtration efficiency @ 20 microns or larger.

Paul Bell 04-20-2016 06:11 AM

These "synthetic" oil filters have a synthetic filter media. There's a wire mesh that keeps it in place. Several makers use this design.

The media traps dirt particles better but with less pressure drop as they reach end of life.

I will say regardless of these efficiency ratings, they'll always be a better filter than old school paper media filters.

What are the efficiency rating of other brands>

fst100 04-20-2016 06:23 AM

so how does the standard purolator stack up against the other standard ones? better, worse, or similar? also i recently bought and used the purolator boss that just came out (advance auto parts send a promo coupon for mobil 1 full syn oil w/purolator boss filter for $33). would be interested to see whats in the "boss" filter.

Paul Bell 04-20-2016 06:33 AM

I think the Purolator Boss is their top filter. It may have synthetic media but they don't advertise it as such. There's no wire mesh to hold it in place. I'll guess it's a "better" paper media when compared to "regular" paper media.

It's probably a good filter on par with a Mobil 1 or standard Wix but I'd still prefer one of the higher end filters.

JROC 04-30-2016 02:50 AM

Why is my Mobil 1 filter which cost more than the WIX XP I normally use black instead of gold like your? Is it otherwise the same filter or not?

Does Motorcraft (made by Puralator) have a filter to fit a LS motor? I'd have to run one for a laugh if they did. Great filters for Modular motors though and their value is unbeatable for the quality of the filter.

Paul Bell 04-30-2016 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by JROC (Post 19243433)
Why is my Mobil 1 filter which cost more than the WIX XP I normally use black instead of gold like your? Is it otherwise the same filter or not?

Does Motorcraft (made by Puralator) have a filter to fit a LS motor? I'd have to run one for a laugh if they did. Great filters for Modular motors though and their value is unbeatable for the quality of the filter.

Mobil1 has several grades of filters. Mobil1 Extended is their better filter.

Motorcraft should have a filter to use on GM applications but you would use one just to say you have a Ford filter on a Chevy? Why use a lessor filter? Motorcraft filters often have a rope around the media that usually cuts it.

This is a thread about high end filters with synthetic media. Mobil1 and Motorcraft have nothing like that.

damec70 05-12-2016 10:38 PM

You're reading the Beta Equation Wrong...

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98 (Post 19118833)
Hummm ... WIX shows "Beta Ratio: B2=20" for the XP.
That pretty much sucks, as that equates to: "50% efficient @ 20 microns".

I've seen this misinterpretation on several forums and it's a common mistake.

The "B2=20" reads differently than the multi-variable formats listed for standard filters (values are reversed). What it actually means is:

"B2=20" -> "95% efficiency @ 2 microns"

"2" = micron size & "20" = filtration ratio

If you don't believe me, listen to the folks at Cummins filtration:
"A Beta Ratio may be given for a filter as B10=50. This simply means that the Beta Ratio for 10 microns equals a ration of 50."

That's from a Cummins technical training flyer dedicated to filter beta ratios, there's even a quiz question about this (#2). Feel free to take a look... Cummins Filtration Training Flyer

sillysspeed 09-15-2016 12:14 PM

Does anyone have the part # for Wix racing oil filter for LS1? Did a couple searches with no luck? I'm looking for the highest flowing filter possible for drag racing. I know I need to change it often