Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP 1 7/8 vs Speed Engineering 1 7/8 Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP 1 7/8 vs Speed Engineering 1 7/8 Headers

Who has seen both? What's ground clearance like? I have heard the TSP's are good, what about the Speed Engineering? Are the TSP's worth an extra $130?
Old 02-24-2015, 05:48 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will say that our headers are made with seamless tubing (less likely to split over time), have a spike in the merge (greater scavenging) , and we use thicker stainless tubing to reduce the echo sound from the valvetrain.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 02-24-2015, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just installed the texas speed headers, ground clearance was great nice and tight and close to the body itself then the ground, nice thick tubing, welding was perfect, fit like a glove took me 30 mins to install. hands down best bang for your buck.
The following users liked this post:
guessohw (09-13-2020)
Old 02-24-2015, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The Speed Engineering headers now have a velocity spike also, where they didn't before. This for me was the one of biggest factors that would sway me to buying a set of headers . I would place a value of spikes at $ 50 - $ 60 dollars. It would have cost at least that in time and material to install these on the old header that don't have them. Speed Engineering has upgraded this without increasing the price so far. Within the last year Speed Eng. has taken the cheap Chinese ebay header concept and went back to the drawing board and started all over again . They continue to make these better and better. Its light years ahead of the old ebay headers that sold for $180 . So Speed Engineering has closed the gap considerably between them and TSP , the TSP still probably has overall better quality.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the SE race headers and catless y-pipe and they're great! Fit real good and seem to be great quality.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hâve had my tsp 1 7/8 for 3 years. I do my own oil change. The clearance is amazing and they are not dented.there y pipe has nice smooth merge. I i still hâve stock exhaust. Sounds great and i passed emmisins in ct which is strict. Tsp hands down .
Old 02-25-2015, 10:43 AM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by omc8
The Speed Engineering headers now have a velocity spike also, where they didn't before. This for me was the one of biggest factors that would sway me to buying a set of headers . I would place a value of spikes at $ 50 - $ 60 dollars. It would have cost at least that in time and material to install these on the old header that don't have them. Speed Engineering has upgraded this without increasing the price so far. Within the last year Speed Eng. has taken the cheap Chinese ebay header concept and went back to the drawing board and started all over again . They continue to make these better and better. Its light years ahead of the old ebay headers that sold for $180 . So Speed Engineering has closed the gap considerably between them and TSP , the TSP still probably has overall better quality.
Honestly, couldn't word it any better. Originally our goal was not to compete with the higher priced headers, but to come out with an eBay style header with better quality/fitment, correct primary sizing, and in a race version. It was actually all the guys on here that kept inquiring about an 1 7/8" that we then decided to build a larger primary all together.

Our main goal is to make a quality header affordable to everyone, with the best possible fitment. I can honestly say I can count on one hand how many returns we have had on our headers, and none of them were due to fitment or manufacturing concerns. If anyone ever has any manufacturing/fitment related issues with our products we will refund your money, or exchange them out no questions asked.

Thanks
Sean
The following 3 users liked this post by Speed Engineering:
02*C5 (10-16-2021), 98SSHARDTOP (10-20-2021), Qdttracer9 (07-11-2021)
Old 02-26-2015, 12:16 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
Honestly, couldn't word it any better. Originally our goal was not to compete with the higher priced headers, but to come out with an eBay style header with better quality/fitment, correct primary sizing, and in a race version. It was actually all the guys on here that kept inquiring about an 1 7/8" that we then decided to build a larger primary all together.

Our main goal is to make a quality header affordable to everyone, with the best possible fitment. I can honestly say I can count on one hand how many returns we have had on our headers, and none of them were due to fitment or manufacturing concerns. If anyone ever has any manufacturing/fitment related issues with our products we will refund your money, or exchange them out no questions asked.

Thanks
Sean
This right here is why I have SE headers... just installed another set on a friends car a couple weeks ago with great fitment, and then he had his dad order a set for his car. Sean, you guys have a great product.

Thank You to everyone at Speed Engineering.
The following 2 users liked this post by DirtyBirdMKE:
02*C5 (10-16-2021), Qdttracer9 (07-11-2021)
Old 02-26-2015, 08:46 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Just ordered a set of Speed Engineering headers for my 2008 Escalade. I can say Sean was an absolute pleasure to deal with, and made me the same fitment guarantee over the phone as well. He also took the time to explain to me pretty much what's been said here: going back to the drawing board and make a QUALITY header, at a great price.

Quite reassuring to say the least.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:29 PM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

dr_whigham: Looking forward to hearing how everything pans out on this one.

Sean
Old 02-26-2015, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by omc8
Thank you for a thoughtful and reasonable post.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Just installed Speed Engineering 1-7/8" race headers paired up with phab true duals with kooks 15" race mufflers and an amazing mail order tune by Frost.... Wow I'm very pleased with everything... Save your money and go Speed Engineering they were perfect...the headers and exhaust rides a 1/4" under the body the whole way supper tight.
I also went poly motor mounts to control the motor torque so I could get the tightest fitment posible.

Thanks to Speed Engineering for providing amazing headers at reasonable $$$
The following users liked this post:
guessohw (09-13-2020)
Old 03-02-2015, 12:34 PM
jig
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by M-Z28
Just installed Speed Engineering 1-7/8" race headers paired up with phab true duals with kooks 15" race mufflers and an amazing mail order tune by Frost.... Wow I'm very pleased with everything... Save your money and go Speed Engineering they were perfect...the headers and exhaust rides a 1/4" under the body the whole way supper tight.
I also went poly motor mounts to control the motor torque so I could get the tightest fitment posible.
wanna post up a video? think i will do very similar route
Old 03-02-2015, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Perfect thread I was looking for.

SE, here's my issue. My son ordered the parts he wanted, to include headers & ORY. But you don't deliver to an address other than billing address. UPS won't deliver to my house. So I get my parts at my job.

I hate for him to spend more elsewhere since he's on a pretty tight budget. But no choice. So now another part has to wait a few weeks since he was saving almost $200.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I can see why SE has it setup that way regarding shipping, from a business standpoint.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SAPPER
Perfect thread I was looking for.

SE, here's my issue. My son ordered the parts he wanted, to include headers & ORY. But you don't deliver to an address other than billing address. UPS won't deliver to my house. So I get my parts at my job.

I hate for him to spend more elsewhere since he's on a pretty tight budget. But no choice. So now another part has to wait a few weeks since he was saving almost $200.
I'm sure if you called and explained that to them they'd be happy to help. Its more designed for safety of the customer and ease of shipping for the retailer however in your case I can easily see them working with you
Old 03-02-2015, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

hmm Yeah, I was considering SE headers, but im in Canada and ship to an address in the states...can anyone from SE state wether this can be done, if I called to contact and confirm this? Otherwise id have to go with the TSP setup
Old 03-02-2015, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did talk to them because they no longer sell a shifter. I received an email regarding the order. So I called. No dice. I used to own a shop and know the fraudulent stuff that goes on.

Their option was to have an approved Paypal account. I've ordered parts from about 5 or 6 other sponsors on here and never had an issue. But that's their policy and I can't argue with it and understand it. I'll just look elsewhere.

The issue is with UPS. I have 4 dogs and the pussified driver doesn't come up my driveway. I used to have an older lady. The dogs loved her and she brought treats.

Also getting ready to order 3 grand in suspension stuff for him. Already called UMI and no problem with shipping to my work. He's just trying to spend wisely without buying junk.

Last edited by SAPPER; 03-02-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, gonna go ahead and order the SE and my neighbor said she'd get them since she get packages daily for her in-home business.

Besides, another brand on here want's $90 shipping for some headers and a few other parts. So I broke the $500 limit for free shipping.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:01 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I think I'd just take 5 minutes and open a paypal account myself... But glad you got it all worked out.

Quick Reply: TSP 1 7/8 vs Speed Engineering 1 7/8 Headers