Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-09-2016, 12:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Review and install guide for the MSD Atomic AirForce intake manifold.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I concur, with the others, that TBC bracket looks bad. I understand function over form, but that's a bit much. Looks just.... too in the way and taking the spotlight, when it should be that bad *** intake, everyone is eyeballing.

As a R&D prototype, just to get your car up and running, FINE.... but a market ready unit.... NO!

Please relay these concerns to your friends at MSD.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates?
Old 05-22-2015, 06:36 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Update:

The car drives great. No issues with it at all. The car is a beast off idle, even at low throttle. Granted, I changed my entire setup, so I can't pinpoint it to the intake manifold, but at least I know I don't have to worry about it cracking.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you tuning the car yourself?
Old 05-22-2015, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Is the total cost investment of the MSD vs the FAST LSXR, more, less, or about the same?
Old 05-24-2015, 06:11 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Are you tuning the car yourself?
Yes I am. I've tuned my own car since about 2004 or 05. I learned when I was just heads/cam/headers, and then made the transition to FI. The amount of help out there is tremendous, as long as you do your own homework and ask the right questions.

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
Is the total cost investment of the MSD vs the FAST LSXR, more, less, or about the same?
I'm going to say it's about the same.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:31 PM

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tec...nifold-at-lme/
Old 06-14-2015, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Any more news on this intake? I'm looking at doing this msd intake or a super Victor for my 408.. I'm currently using a ls6 intake and am only making 433 hp through a th400 and strange S60...
Old 06-16-2015, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I myself am trying to decide between this MSD intake or the fast 102mm I'm trying to figure out all what it would take to get the MSD intake on my LS1? All I've came up with so far is that it will need LS2 fuel rails, what else would be needed?
My car is a 98 Z28 6 speed. It is all stock except for SLP long tubes, 3" magnaflow exhaust, low restriction cats, K&N cold air intake. I'm going to be doing a cam swap, intake and throttle body, and upgrading my stock rockers into roller rockers with the trunion upgrade. Next summer I'll be looking into doing heads so for now those will remain stock.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:22 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by J-FredZ28
I myself am trying to decide between this MSD intake or the fast 102mm I'm trying to figure out all what it would take to get the MSD intake on my LS1? All I've came up with so far is that it will need LS2 fuel rails, what else would be needed?
My car is a 98 Z28 6 speed. It is all stock except for SLP long tubes, 3" magnaflow exhaust, low restriction cats, K&N cold air intake. I'm going to be doing a cam swap, intake and throttle body, and upgrading my stock rockers into roller rockers with the trunion upgrade. Next summer I'll be looking into doing heads so for now those will remain stock.
LS2/3 fuel rails is about the only thing you'll need. I think that MSD is now including the throttle cable bracket in the kit, or at least email them and ask for it.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, and thank you! I just wanted to be sure... I wasn't sure what all else may need to be done. I'm sort of confused if it will clear everything properly? I have the stock water pump and factory hood.
This guy posted on page 3 saying he was having issues with his water pump clearing which I believe his is a factory LS1 water pump also?

And would you recommend the MSD intake over the fast 102MM? (mine is the stock LS1)

[QUOTE=Allen2002z28;18754426]
Old 06-17-2015, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Couldn't you just do some grinding on the water pump to gain the necessary clearance if it became an issue?
Old 06-30-2015, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Im confused, wont LS3 injector O-rings work to seal this manifold with ls1 style injectors? How can an oversized o ring not be the same outside diameter as LS3 oem injector o ring?
Old 07-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Teching In

There were 4 injector bosses that weren't even drilled out from the factory in my manifold on top of all of the other problems. All on the same side of the engine. My car has now been sitting at Speed Inc. in Schaumburg, IL for over 6 weeks. MSD had to wait until they got new manifolds in to send one to the shop. This shop is the go-to place for all LS engines in the Chicago land area. LS engines are pretty much all they deal with. They completely installed the new one themselves and spent over 7 hours doing it. They said they had to do heavy shaving on the water pump and the manifold just to get it to seat. Now, they are pretty confident they got it seated, and still have major vacuum leaks on both banks, IAC still reading zero, and still idling high. If these guys can't figure it out I'm not sure how everyone else is. Search Speed Inc. on Facebook and see what kind of cars they deal with, they make mine look like a puppy. They want to take it off and try again, just because they were excited to see what kind of gains they could get out of it and they have so much time into it already, but I've been without my car for the entire summer so far and there's no end in sight unless I just buy a FAST or put my stock back on.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen2002z28
There were 4 injector bosses that weren't even drilled out from the factory in my manifold on top of all of the other problems. All on the same side of the engine. My car has now been sitting at Speed Inc. in Schaumburg, IL for over 6 weeks. MSD had to wait until they got new manifolds in to send one to the shop. This shop is the go-to place for all LS engines in the Chicago land area. LS engines are pretty much all they deal with. They completely installed the new one themselves and spent over 7 hours doing it. They said they had to do heavy shaving on the water pump and the manifold just to get it to seat. Now, they are pretty confident they got it seated, and still have major vacuum leaks on both banks, IAC still reading zero, and still idling high. If these guys can't figure it out I'm not sure how everyone else is. Search Speed Inc. on Facebook and see what kind of cars they deal with, they make mine look like a puppy. They want to take it off and try again, just because they were excited to see what kind of gains they could get out of it and they have so much time into it already, but I've been without my car for the entire summer so far and there's no end in sight unless I just buy a FAST or put my stock back on.
That sucks man. Did you start a thread in the external section about this? You should!
Old 07-07-2015, 05:49 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

That's really weird. I got a very early production piece, and it fit perfect, no hiccups other than the normal things like figuring out the correct offset height of the injector since I was using an aftermarket rail and ID1000s.

I am seeing a slight lean condition on the passenger side, but nothing crazy. For example during closed loop conditions, I'll see the fuel trims being 2-3% higher on the passenger side than driver side. That could be from a multitude of different things like a partially clogged injector, or slight exhaust leak etc. My car idles smoothly at 700rpm with IAC counts in the 60-70 range.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just surprised, that's all.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Allen2002z28

I'm really sorry to hear that. I guess the only plus to your bad situation is that it helps the rest of us on here who are on the fence about this intake. Not that any of that helps you at all, but I do appreciate you sharing your experience. I also agree you should start a thread in the external engine section. Maybe Speed Inc. will chime in as well.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:39 AM
Teching In

I'm not real sure how to do a lot on this website. The only reason I became a member was to follow along with this thread because we were doing the install at the same time. I'm happy to hear The Alchemist had a good experience so I have some hope left. And i'm happy to share and will give you guys an update when I find something out. Hopefully this intake still ends up working out because it is supposed to have higher gains than the FAST 102, but if all else fails, that is what i'm going to have to go with. I received my first manifold a couple days before The Alchemist and hoped it was just a bad batch, but this new one not working out so far doesn't leave me much hope!
Old 07-07-2015, 08:56 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

You got yours before me? Wow, because mine came directly from MSD before they had actually shipped to Vendors.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:35 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Review and install guide for the MSD Atomic AirForce intake manifold.

Yeah, I find that a bit peculiar.

Where did you get the manifold from? What Vendor?

Quick Reply: Review and install guide for the MSD Atomic AirForce intake manifold.