Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-09-2016, 12:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Review and install guide for the MSD Atomic AirForce intake manifold.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I'd already posted about this, but I guess not. The replacement intake I got when I sent mine back to MSD not only came with reusable gaskets, but the overall quality of the plastic molding seems way better. The seams aren't as noticeable, there's not all that flashing around the edges, and even the color is more black than the ugly faded gray of the first one. Seems like they really stepped up their game once they started getting feedback from customers.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

By the way, any LS1 users having trouble getting the PCV hose to fit around this thing? Seems like it's too wide, so I'm wondering if there's a way to extend the stock one.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by samerickson89
By the way, any LS1 users having trouble getting the PCV hose to fit around this thing? Seems like it's too wide, so I'm wondering if there's a way to extend the stock one.
Step 1 - remove intake manifold
Step 2 - replace valley cover with LS6 valley cover with integrated PCV
Step 3 - install intake manifold
Step 4 - loop a vacuum hose from valley cover nipple to intake manifold vacuum nipple

OK, a little tongue in cheek, but if you go to the LS6 valley cover, decide whether or not you want to run a catch can, vent the valve covers accordingly, and you don't need to worry about the hose routing.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Step 1 - remove intake manifold
Step 2 - replace valley cover with LS6 valley cover with integrated PCV
Step 3 - install intake manifold
Step 4 - loop a vacuum hose from valley cover nipple to intake manifold vacuum nipple

OK, a little tongue in cheek, but if you go to the LS6 valley cover, decide whether or not you want to run a catch can, vent the valve covers accordingly, and you don't need to worry about the hose routing.
Man, I wish I'd asked sooner! Even if I do find a way to make the stock setup work for now, I'll probably do that next time I've got the intake off for whatever reason because it sounds like it'd look a lot cleaner.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:52 AM

Man, I wish I'd asked sooner! Even if I do find a way to make the stock setup work for now, I'll probably do that next time I've got the intake off for whatever reason because it sounds like it'd look a lot cleaner.
I hear you. I've always been happy with the mod. It still lets some oil through, so you probably will want a catch can, but it's much better vs the valve cover approach. Here's a couple pics to show you, if it helps.

First pic is with the MSD installed. The PCV nipple on the valley cover is just under the nipple for the intake. So, I made that loop with pipe fittings. First time, I just put the hose on and kinked it, but it built up alot of crank pressure and dumped a bunch of oil through a gasket. Then I did that loop and now I actually have a vacuum on the crank case again.

Second pic is without the intake, so you can see how it looks in the valley, fully exposed. The only thing I don't have a pic of is the thing in the block I had to grind so the valley cover would fit. If your block is 2001 or newer, I don't think it will have that problem.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Yeah that does look a lot better. I'll be doing that at some point for sure. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-16-2017, 11:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Darth, why are you still running 4 point steam lines? The consensus is the LS6 steam line setup is better.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Darth, why are you still running 4 point steam lines? The consensus is the LS6 steam line setup is better.
Actually I've got an upgrade waiting to install to get even better four corner cooling. I always thought the LS6 kit was for clearance under the intake more than anything else. But my reasoning is to maintain some amount of coolant flow in the back of the motor
Old 03-17-2017, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Actually I've got an upgrade waiting to install to get even better four corner cooling. I always thought the LS6 kit was for clearance under the intake more than anything else. But my reasoning is to maintain some amount of coolant flow in the back of the motor
Based on what I've read, GM engineers claim that 4 point coolant lines trap small air bubbles in the head. I don't know if that's accurate and I don't know of any way to prove if that actually occurs.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:31 PM

Based on what I've read, GM engineers claim that 4 point coolant lines trap small air bubbles in the head. I don't know if that's accurate and I don't know of any way to prove if that actually occurs.
I don't honestly know either, but I have a hard time imagining 4 points is worse. I'm looking at ditching the spider altogether and just doing four dedicated hoses and having them join up later to get better flow through the heads. I figure if the hoses go up higher than the heads, any steam should end up in the hoses.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts

I actually believe that is the other way around. Not as quoted from a gm engineer, but what actually happens. There is a big thread on here somewhere about it even dyno tests and Mr Kurt Urban himseld weighing in on what he has seen with Cup engines etc. There is a reason he was one of the first to make a steam vent collection kit.

As far as the ls6 valley...if you are using a 98 block step 2 would be grind down the cast in boss along valley that will not allow ls6 valley cover to fit. The airforce seems to need a few more minor changes to be a clean fit, which isnt bad.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
I actually believe that is the other way around. Not as quoted from a gm engineer, but what actually happens. There is a big thread on here somewhere about it even dyno tests and Mr Kurt Urban himseld weighing in on what he has seen with Cup engines etc. There is a reason he was one of the first to make a steam vent collection kit.

As far as the ls6 valley...if you are using a 98 block step 2 would be grind down the cast in boss along valley that will not allow ls6 valley cover to fit. The airforce seems to need a few more minor changes to be a clean fit, which isnt bad.
Actually it just bolted right on for me. No clearance issues etc.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:57 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts

That is the piece i am talking about.
Pic from ls1 how to. Ive had to clearance a few of them before.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lq4240sx
I made my own throttle cable bracket
Would you mind posting some pics?
Old 06-18-2017, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Darth_V8r I'm about to install a msd intake myself. If I read it right your msd fit without having to grind the bottom like a Ls6 intake to clear the steam pipes, is that correct ?
Old 06-18-2017, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Darth_V8r I'm about to install a msd intake myself. If I read it right your msd fit without having to grind the bottom like a Ls6 intake to clear the steam pipes, is that correct ?
I run the LS6 crossover. The rears are blocked off. It's not the LS1 spider crossover.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
I had to run a 2 port to make it fit. There's not enough clearance underneath.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I had to run a 2 port to make it fit. There's not enough clearance underneath.
I was thinking I would just grind the bottom like a Ls6 intake
Old 06-21-2017, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Anybody try the MSD throttle cable bracket with a Holley 103mm throttle body? Looks like the pcv hose will get in the way, but tech won't give me dimensions to confirm.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody try the MSD throttle cable bracket with a Holley 103mm throttle body? Looks like the pcv hose will get in the way, but tech won't give me dimensions to confirm.
I'm about to. LS7 Atomic Intake + Holly EFI 105mm cable driven with the Atomic Intake TB bracket

Quick Reply: Review and install guide for the MSD Atomic AirForce intake manifold.