Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle not opening all the way - ASR/throttle cam problem? (not cable slack issue)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 08:54 AM
74u
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle not opening all the way - ASR/throttle cam problem? (not cable slack issue)

I'm in the process of completing a top end swap (reusing the previous throttle body). As I was adjusting the slack in the throttle cable I noticed I'm not getting WOT all the sudden.

Further investigation reveals (as the gas pedal is depressed slowly) the cable from the gas pedal coming in to the asr unit pulls it's cam to 100%, but the cable/throttle cam operating the butterfly stops at about 90% open? I can take my finger and with just a few pounds of pressure help the cam the last 10% (then it stays put at 100%).

I'm confused why all the sudden this is an issue...previous combo was hitting WOT (and activating my perfectly adjusted WOT switch).

Do these ASR modules go bad? Without taking the thing apart I don't fully understand how the throttle cams interface eachother, but it seems like a wound spring possibly between them and maybe mine is weak?
Old 05-01-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had this situation on moving to the 85mm TB, I fiddled with
changing cam profile but ended up bypassing ASR and going
to non-ASR cruise cables.

Might look for something caught in the pulley cluster or
opportunities to "bump stop mod" the internals. Me, I hated
the ASR anyway and glad it's gone (but I have kept the
spark pull function active, it does a job in the wet).
Old 05-01-2015, 12:25 PM
74u
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the feedback. I'm thinking I can try replacing the assembly with on off EBAY as a test, or otherwise I was thinking of just JB Welding, or pinning the cams together. If I eliminate, or stick the cams together will it throw any codes, or is it just the "relax throttle" portion of ASR won't happen anymore?

Also, I noticed the latch on the cruise control cable adjustment is missing (aparently fell off and got lost during the build). Seem like no matter what position I put the cruise cable in (holding it in place) it doesn't change the problem on the throttle side. Just thought I'd mention it incase it has anything to do with it.

Quick Reply: Throttle not opening all the way - ASR/throttle cam problem? (not cable slack issue)