Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damaged headers, want to quiet my car back down

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 01:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged headers, want to quiet my car back down

Hey guys. I have a 2000 Camaro SS.

I've had SLP headers on my car for almost 10 years now... and they are almost completely gone. They were way too low to begin with but now they are just beat all to hell.

I would like to replace them with a nice set of headers, and an exhaust system I could bolt up to quiet the car down compared to the straight pipes it is running now. Something that didn't weigh a ton would be ideal but I won't be picky.

Considering I am on a budget, what would you suggest? I don't need cats. I was looking at the texas speed 1 3/4th stainless headers and their rumbler true dual setup. How would this do on a lowered car?

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2015, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if youre looking for something that is fairly cheap and that will quiet the car down some while providing good ground clearance, i suggest you look into a magnaflow catback. My car is a HCI car with bbk headers offroad y and a magnaflow catback and there is absolutely 0 drone and its relatively quiet for what it is. Texas speed stuff is really nice but if youre looking for something that doesnt sit low, their true duals arent for you. My buddy had them on his z28 before it was lowered and scraped all the time, then he lowered his car and had to take them off immediately. Its a shame too cause they sounded so good. Whenever I was behind him I would just see sparks all the time. Our roads over here in NY suck though. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well sound preference is a matter of opinion, so with that in mind how much quieter do you want it?
Old 06-05-2015, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

dont TD systems tend to hang lower on these cars?
Old 06-05-2015, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I mentioned it in another thread but IMO the best bargain for full exhaust is speed engineering headers, y pipe and a used SLP dual/dual catback. Depending on catback price (I have seen complete uncut for less than $150 and you know it will fit your car perfect as it came stock with the SS package) you can be out the door for the whole thing for not much more than the TSP headers and y by themselves.

The SE headers are as good, if not maybe better quality than the TSP headers (I have personally owned both) and they are too good of a price to pass up!
Old 06-07-2015, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
I mentioned it in another thread but IMO the best bargain for full exhaust is speed engineering headers, y pipe and a used SLP dual/dual catback. Depending on catback price (I have seen complete uncut for less than $150 and you know it will fit your car perfect as it came stock with the SS package) you can be out the door for the whole thing for not much more than the TSP headers and y by themselves.

The SE headers are as good, if not maybe better quality than the TSP headers (I have personally owned both) and they are too good of a price to pass up!
My car was making 411rwhp with the SLP headers and a true dual setup, would I lose any power going to a catback over the true duals?
Old 06-07-2015, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I would think as long as its a properly merged y pipe any amount you would lose would be negligible.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd

This is about to be my exact setup once i install my speed engineering 1 7/8" headers and their y-pipe. i do have the slp dual/dual but its really quiet for my taste. I did pick it up off craigslist for $40 but Im considering throwing a magnaflow 14419 bullet on the y-pipe with a turn down to make it more exciting
Old 06-08-2015, 02:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marayland speed has some Kooks 1-3/4 headers on clerance sale right now bud...
Old 06-08-2015, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea -- have fun with Kooks. I am a two times customer and will never go back to them for anything. Still trying to get them to fix my setup.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-s...l#post18836413
Old 06-08-2015, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Yea -- have fun with Kooks. I am a two times customer and will never go back to them for anything. Still trying to get them to fix my setup.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-s...l#post18836413
sorry to see that.

Quick Reply: Damaged headers, want to quiet my car back down