Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Race Headers.....Black Ceramic Coated...PICTURES INSIDE.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 07:30 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
LS6427: The headers look great..

Ya, unfortunately those are the only boxes offered to us. Most of the time they show up just fine, but every now and then we see this. Believe it or not we really only have 2-3 damage claims on our headers in a year. I will talk with them again however on packaging. Maybe we'll have better luck this time.

Thanks
Sean
Sean,

If they cannot offer a different box....all they have to do is put a piece of cardboard inbetween the two headers in the box so they cannot rub together and just wrap/roll them up in heavy construction paper. And they definitely must cap both collectors with some kind of covering so they don't push and rip through the box. Then they hang out 3-4 inches and get all banged up.

About The Install.......Ridiculously easy.....
Headers went in last night.........drivers side went up into place in about 10 seconds. Passengers side went up in about 20 seconds. Bolted right up....and they offer a substantial amount of extra room to remove/install spark plugs. A spark plug change is a breeze now....even on the back two on the passengers side.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sales4@Texas-Speed
Could be the box...

Could be a disgruntled employee...

Angry UPS driver making delivery to my building ! - YouTube

We use double corrugated boxes and still have UPS drivers treating them like frisbees. They flat out destroy the boxes and simply don't care. People always blame packaging, but its usually the people mis-handling them that cause the problems. Thus, the reason UPS typically pays on damage claims; it's primarily them to blame.

- Beau
I understand that.....but in this case the uncovered "sharp" collectors rip right through both ends of the box. And the sharp ends of the flanges rip right through. The box is a little bit small for these headers. Its tight when you put them in the box and it pushes the box walls outward a bit. They need to be rolled in heavy construction paper or bubble wrap and have capped "wrapped" collector ends......

Good product from Speed Engineering........MUST protect them for shipping since UPS and Fedex truck drivers are jackasses who don't care.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
It was a couple years ago.

I took the steering shaft out when I put the drivers side in.

I didn't have any problems with the holes being larger.

I used locking flange bolts. The flange was pretty big so it wasn't an issue.
Did mine last night. Actually, after getting all 6 bolts in....there's only a tiny bit of play...so no big deal. But it would be cool if the bolt holes were the exact proper size. You know us gearheads.....we like perfection....

Old 07-17-2015, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my SE headers came packaged well, the box was slightly torn from the collector but come on guys they are trying to fit an ODD LONG metal piece in a rectangle box, square peg round hole story you know?
Old 07-17-2015, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
my SE headers came packaged well, the box was slightly torn from the collector but come on guys they are trying to fit an ODD LONG metal piece in a rectangle box, square peg round hole story you know?
It has nothing to do with the shape of it, thin cardboard sucks period.

My bmr k member came shipped in heavy gauge cardboard, all corners that "could" rip through the box were doubled up with card board folded in an "L" shape around them..

That's how you avoid something piercing through the box when a ups driver fly kicks the package to the door!
Old 07-17-2015, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Burken01
It has nothing to do with the shape of it, thin cardboard sucks period.

My bmr k member came shipped in heavy gauge cardboard, all corners that "could" rip through the box were doubled up with card board folded in an "L" shape around them..

That's how you avoid something piercing through the box when a ups driver fly kicks the package to the door!
mine was round house kicked to the door
Old 07-17-2015, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

the question is, are you willing to pay, say another $20 for better packaging?
Old 07-17-2015, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
We shouldn't have a choice, if they're arriving damaged then threads like this can scare customers away so fast it'll make your head spin..
Old 07-20-2015, 10:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by farmington
$20.00.....thats not even close to what it would cost to simply wrap the collector ends and flanges with a medium to heavy cardboard wrap. You're talking pennies per box......Lets call it $5.00 even. Hell yes I would pay $5.00 to get my product in perfect condition.....

Old 07-20-2015, 10:54 PM
Banned

LilJayV10, ((and the Speed Engineering and potential customers))

So I had them installed and I brought it to the exhaust shop to have them re-connect the Y pipe to the collectors.

YES.....my drivers side header at the collector end was also angled upward a little too high. Its a little close to the floorboard. The exhaust guy said it was a little tough to get the flange not to hit the floorboard and cut exhaust pieces at angles to make that little downward angle to the Y pipe. But he did it......

SE...
The drivers side collector should be angled a little more downward so its horizontal to the ground.

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Race Headers.....Black Ceramic Coated...PICTURES INSIDE.....