Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Asp crank pulley fail..1 month old.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Asp crank pulley fail..1 month old.

I bought a asp pulley last month on the 11th from TSP and had it installed a week later professionally and all seemed well. The stock size pulley was quite old and too big for where my turbo oil drain fitting is welded to the timing cover. I dont have much driving time on my setup after doing my turbo build..roughly a few days totall as i iron out small issues. I was on my way home from a local car show a few blocks away from my house(luckily) and I was making a left hand turn..I lost power steering and noticed my voltage had dropped and radio shut off. I nearly hit the car that was sitting at the lights from not expecting to have manual steering and straighten the wheel fast enough and limped the car into my driveway.

I checked under the hood and see no signs of anything missing/broken and the belt/tensioner were nice and tight. Puzzled I start the car and sure enough its not charging and manual steering but it was idling perfectly fine ..revved up fine.While revving it a few times I caught my attention how the labelling on the belt I could count how slow it made a full revolution even when I rev the motor to 4grand.So I shut if off and thought..Ok..I got a slipping belt..get another one and back on the road.Im lucky enough to keep a spare new belt next to a fresh set of plugs in my garage of parts.Swapped it out and cleaned the pulleys ribs in a few mins and restart the car....No difference. WTF now..I reach down and pull on the belt to see if my tensioner wasnt doing its job and sure enough as i tugged on it..all my accessory drive pulleys rotated.I then kept pulling the belt and watched the crank etc turn over by hand.I take the belt off..reached down and could spin the outer ring of the asp pulley as freely as my turbo compressor and wait for it to stop!

Its not even 2 months old and has failed on me..Ive now seen that these pulleys in the past are known to have come apart.When I first looked around I didnt come across issues other than people suggesting not the buy the alternator pulley.

Ive emailed Tsp and hope they can help me as Ive bought from them several times and been happy with their products so far.But now Im down a car..I hope that the pulley hasnt damaged anything with my motor spinning the way it does or scoring the crank snout.Asp was supposed to be a good underdrive for the price but now im jaded..dont want to just get another one and have it fail a month from now.Should I be asking tsp for another brand pulley like slp.I cant afford to shell out money for parts/labor on a super ati unit.This is my daily summer car
Old 07-22-2015, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Im sure its under warranty so take the difference and get an ATI Fluidamper
Old 07-23-2015, 12:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

personally if I was spending 200 on an slp I would save up a little longer for the ati. the quality is light years better and the ati eliminates a lot of harmonics the others wont
Old 07-23-2015, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

Is the Ati smaller than the stock pulley and still lighter? Does it require the crank to be keyed at all?
Old 07-23-2015, 09:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbull87
Is the Ati smaller than the stock pulley and still lighter? Does it require the crank to be keyed at all?
No it doesnt need to be keyed. it just has the option to be if you want. the ati comes in 10% ud and 25%. Ati will recommend the 10% because it has more dampening material in it and makes the same hp as the 25%. When you go to 25% you lose a lot of the dampening characteristics of the balancer, the ati 10% still gives an ud effect to increase hp but the majority of the hp increase comes from smoothing out the engine harmonics. So it will make the same power or even a little more than your asp did..weight between the 2 is very similar. the hub on the ati is steel but the actual balancer and ac pulley are AL

BTW: the ati is NOT a fluidamper, it uses a rubber compound.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I originally had the ASP years ago...It just looked like to me like it "wobbled" and I was never happy with it because I didn't like the way it looked while it was spinning. I switched over the Powerbond 25% UD pulley and I'm MUCH happier with the quality and haven't had any problems in the 10 years it's been on!
Old 07-23-2015, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Powerbond is a good unit. I bought the standard size version and it appears to be very high quality not to mention is also SFI approved. ATI is top of the line but you are paying for the name too. If it was a dedicated track car that lives at high RPM then Pony up for the ATI...if not the PB will get the job done just fine.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Call ATI and see if they have any blems. I picked one up for $210 shipped from them before.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

I had an slp on my car. They're a good unit but they're heavy as hell. I went to an IW 10% UD. Awesome piece.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:00 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks, i will wait till I hear from Tsp first but I am now looking at the ati 10% ud.It should clear the fittings I have welded on the timing and still be lighter than stock and increase throttle response.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Asp pulley here for years w/ no problems...and I bought it used.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Asp crank pulley fail..1 month old.

Asp pulley here. No issues at all.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol don't get so caught up in the weight of a good engine balancer.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

I'm not caught up in the weight. It's the outer diameter I have to be sure will be smaller than stock. Which will either be a 10 or 25% pulley. I can no longer use a stock size pulley.

Tsp has contacted me and are waiting to hear from Asp directly to help me out. So for now all.I can do is wait. As I said to Tsp...I'm not mad at them..just disappointed in the product itself. And most likely go with another brand from here. I've seen quite a few threads on the Asp pulleys doing this exact same thing but those were quite old threads. I had hoped by now those issues were solved. And now I just got my msd 2 step in the mail and want to test launching the car for the track
Old 07-27-2015, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

*Update*

Tsp is sending me a Powerbond pulley tomorrow.I dont have to send back the original Asp pulley.Asp will credit Tsp. I choose to try the Powerbond just to compare.If that fails then next would be a Ati.

Tsp has been great to deal with for customer service,kept in touch with me every step of the process and let me know of my options.And are doing there best to get me back on the road asap. Thanks alot Tsp,I dont fault them for a faulty part or heckle them..just wanted to be taken care of since I bought it from them and they did just that.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Good deal man.

Quick Reply: Asp crank pulley fail..1 month old.