Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need info on 98 Camaro Mass Air

Old 08-27-2015, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need info on 98 Camaro Mass Air

My mass air sensor has gone out on my 98 camaro Z28. Do all of the 98-02 Fbodies have the same mass air sensors? I need to get another one And I'm just trying to make sure I get the right one, But I'm not really sure what my options are.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:59 PM
Launching!

I am like 99.9% sure they are all the same. Just make sure you stick with a stock MAF sensor. Many people have had bad experiences with aftermarket sensors, I myself am one of the many.

What exactly went wrong with yours? are you throwing a code? have you tried cleaning it? MAF sensors are notorious for acting up when dirty. If you try cleaning it use only specified MAF sensor cleaner, carb cleaner or anything else is to harsh and will ruin the sensor.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

The car will crank and idle fine but when I press the throttle it completely falls on its face and my AFR gauge goes to like 20.1 - 22.1 "in that area " when I unplug the mass air meter it won't idle ad good but it doesn't fall on its face like it does when it's hooked up. You can't drive the car with it hooked up but it can be driven with it unhooked. I have cleaned it with CRC Mass Airflow Sensor cleaner. What problem did you have with the aftermarket sensor?
Old 08-30-2015, 08:16 AM
Launching!

I had the SLP maf and at the time i got it everyone was getting it(still kinda new) and about 2 months later everyone was getting rid of them LOL, the problem we were all having was pretty similar. They would cause engine knock and you would hear this pinging up WOT. It was some years ago but if i remember correctly the SLP MAF would lean the engine to add whatever power it could and it would cause engine knock and acceleration issues......and i also think tuners were having issues with it for some reason or another. I do remember many threads where tuners said to leave it stock, the stock MAF sensor is good for some 500hp.

Last edited by ggino85; 08-30-2015 at 08:17 AM. Reason: grammer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need info on 98 Camaro Mass Air