Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Tube Header touching passenger ventilation box

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Tube Header touching passenger ventilation box

Hey everyone, I installed long tube headers and poly motor mounts a couple of weeks ago. The install was tedious but just inline with most other LS motor work, no space, no space and worst of all no space I had the usual driver side header touching the k member. I took care of that and I thought I had everything figured out. Well since the install there has been a really funky smell inside the car, i just attributed it to "new header smell". Well after a couple weeks its still stinking pretty bad so i started doing some research and found a thread from 2002 where someone had a funny smell after header install. Long story short, some one mentioned that maybe the passenger header the was touching the ventilation box. I looked on my car and sure enough that is what is touching on mine. Its the last primary on the passenger side header. It is touching what i guess is the ventilation box and that is making a really weird odor inside the car. Its burning it a little bit that from what i can see but i don't see any solution to the problem.

does anyone know what to do to solve this? Im visiting family so don't have access to all my regular tools but i do have access to the basics.

here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Long Tube Header touching passenger ventilation box-100_8948.jpg  

Last edited by ggino85; 08-29-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

http://store.secondskinaudio.com/1-s...thermal-block/

Try this on the air box?
Old 09-01-2015, 08:41 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might try wrapping just the header tube that is touching with header wrap. I think you can find a roll in most auto parts stores. The wrap can be secured with a length of wire twisted around the wrap with a pair of pliers. No special tools needed.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

What brand headers? I seen header hit a lot of things but never the hvac box. They should fit a bit better than that.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Launching!

@unite. I will try wrapping that last primary later today. i have to go to town to get a few things i will stop at o'riellys and pick up some wrap.

@Zmg, i will admit they are eBay headers that i have had sitting around for almost 3 years. Maybe i bent them somehow over the years? i have seen a lot of people on here with eBay headers and i haven't seen anyone have this issue, yet lol. Im kinda hoping I'm not alone on this issue.

Im going to wrap that one primary and see if that helps the smell maybe? Im just hoping that between now and wrapping it that it doesn't catch fire or ruin anything.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

That's my concern. Rather not see someone's car on fire.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would take that crap off my car. I have had ebay headers at one point and they were not close to the hvac box. I could slide my hand between the two
Old 09-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Unfortunately I'm at a location where i can't take them off..... I also do i have any other options as far as exhaust, i don't have the stock manifolds anymore. Im up in the Sierra Mountains and hours from home where all my tools are. No way to get the car high enough to remove the header.

Money is really tight right now (kids just started school) but when i get a little better off i am going to just pick up a nice set of Hooker headers. Until then i want to prevent my car from burning to the ground. Do you guys think heat wrap will keep it safe to drive for now? It is my daily driver back home, i have no other vehicle but i have not driven it and will not need to drive it up here in the mountains. So it sits for now......
Old 09-01-2015, 08:50 PM
Launching!

I think it will be OK to drive if you can get the header wrap between the header and the box. The wrap does a good job isolating the heat from other objects - just check it occasionally while traveling. You'll probably know pretty quickly if the burning smell that you are experiencing goes away.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a set of 1 3/4 Hooker Super Comps touching the hvac box, all i did was mark that point on the header primary and made a slight dent so that it cleared. Very minimal indentation was required. I have since upgraded to larger headers and threw the hvac in the garbage can.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Launching!

i was actually considering that taking them out and putting a tiny dent in the last primary.... I may do that when I'm home and just do the heat wrap to get me home safely.

Last edited by ggino85; 09-02-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Just checking - did you try the wrap and did you get your car home?
Old 09-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Launching!

I picked up some wrap yesterday and I'm going to try and get some between the header and hvac box today. I don't drive home until monday morning so i have a day or two to get it on there right. thank you for checking in, thankfully she's still around and hasn't caught on fire.

Quick Reply: Long Tube Header touching passenger ventilation box