Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping out my SLP resonator for a Borla or Magnaflow bullet

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Swapping out my SLP resonator for a Borla or Magnaflow bullet

I know this topic has been talked about a few times, but what I'm really trying to find which I haven't had a lot of success is some good sound clips.

I'm in a current situation where I have a dilemma on what to do. I just installed SE LT's last week with TSP ORY, SLP Loudmouth cat back and CORSA clone 4" tips on my pretty much otherwise stock 99 WS6. I have driven the car twice post install and I already hate the machine gun rattle sound of the setup. Considering the changes I just made, I have no intent of putting cats back into the system. All I want to do is try to tone down the rasp. So my best options as I've seen or read about appear to be either changing the slp resonator out to a Borla XR-1 (40085) or to a magnaflow (14419) bullet muffler. I don't really want to add packs before the exits at the back so I've decided I'm going to go with one of these two options. I want the car to be loud, but with bass growl vs. the RAP RAP RAP sound. I've had a hard time finding sound clips though for each of these. I've maybe found 1 or 2 of each option. Based on this I did like the magnamouth better, but again, that was only after listening to 1 clip or so of each option.
The magnaflow is cheaper but that will not be the deciding factor. The magnaflow is physically smaller in circumference. Smaller is good as my car is lowered approx. 1.5" but does 1" on diameter really make much difference, I don't know? The lowest clearance I've currently got appears to be the distance between my ORY and the ground (which I haven't actually measured yet), not the bullet.
As far as installation, should I be expecting about the same amount of time/work to do either the borla or the magnaflow?

My other question is, should I wait to get my tune until after I change out my slp resonator or can I just get it done now the way it is?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FgReed
I know this topic has been talked about a few times, but what I'm really trying to find which I haven't had a lot of success is some good sound clips.

I'm in a current situation where I have a dilemma on what to do. I just installed SE LT's last week with TSP ORY, SLP Loudmouth cat back and CORSA clone 4" tips on my pretty much otherwise stock 99 WS6. I have driven the car twice post install and I already hate the machine gun rattle sound of the setup. Considering the changes I just made, I have no intent of putting cats back into the system. All I want to do is try to tone down the rasp. So my best options as I've seen or read about appear to be either changing the slp resonator out to a Borla XR-1 (40085) or to a magnaflow (14419) bullet muffler. I don't really want to add packs before the exits at the back so I've decided I'm going to go with one of these two options. I want the car to be loud, but with bass growl vs. the RAP RAP RAP sound. I've had a hard time finding sound clips though for each of these. I've maybe found 1 or 2 of each option. Based on this I did like the magnamouth better, but again, that was only after listening to 1 clip or so of each option.
The magnaflow is cheaper but that will not be the deciding factor. The magnaflow is physically smaller in circumference. Smaller is good as my car is lowered approx. 1.5" but does 1" on diameter really make much difference, I don't know? The lowest clearance I've currently got appears to be the distance between my ORY and the ground (which I haven't actually measured yet), not the bullet.
As far as installation, should I be expecting about the same amount of time/work to do either the borla or the magnaflow?

My other question is, should I wait to get my tune until after I change out my slp resonator or can I just get it done now the way it is?

Thanks in advance guys.

I had the same set up as you and the SLP Louthmouth sucked big time! had a loud rasp at 2200-2800 rpm and was too loud for my taste! I went with the Borla XR-1 muffler. the Borla had a nice sound and best of all, no rasp! the XR-1 is 5" wide and the Magnaflow is 4". wait until you do more bolt- ons to get a tune.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the Magnaflow 14419 dumped before the axle and it sounds awesome...

not alot of rasp and it has a nice deep tone
Old 09-03-2015, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FgReed

Thanks in advance guys.

I had the same set up as you and the SLP Louthmouth sucked big time! had a loud rasp at 2200-2800 rpm and was too loud for my taste! I went with the Borla XR-1 muffler. the Borla had a nice sound and best of all, no rasp! the XR-1 is 5" wide and the Magnaflow is 4". wait until you do more bolt- ons to get a tune.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...1-muffler.html
Old 09-03-2015, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep I had the same setup and swapped the LM1 resonator for the MagnaFlow 14419. Night and day difference
Old 09-03-2015, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Yea a lot of guys did this years about when the LM1 drone was a hot topic, I had a catted LM1 setup w/ a full exhaust and it never bothered me.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Im running Jett hott long tubes into who knows what Y pipe into about 1' OR 1.5' of 3" ss pipe into a Magnaflow bullet 12867 bullet stops about the rear axel. no turn down . Has a really deep sound and very minimal rasp.
Sounds great at WOT

I do have a bump stick tho
Old 09-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Swapping out my SLP resonator for a Borla or Magnaflow bullet

Thanks guys.
Any of you have sound clips?

For the tune the only other thing I plan to do is a cam but that's likely a yr or 2 down the road. I can always get another one then. I just didn't know if I should wait until after I put a new muffler on. It shouldn't matter I wouldn't think.

Quick Reply: Swapping out my SLP resonator for a Borla or Magnaflow bullet