Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good bye Magnaflow and HELLo Gmmg

Old 09-23-2015, 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Good bye Magnaflow and HELLo Gmmg

Though I shouldnt be spending money on my car right now and save up to fix the laundry list of other things the car needs.I couldnt pass up a deal on a practically new Gmmg that was for sale by a local ls1tech member.I snagged it for a good price and had to hear this thing on my car asap.The turbo setup really toned down an already mellow Magnaflow exhaust.And at the time when I bought it...10years ago.Clean quiet no rasp exhaust was what I was after.The Magnaflow was great and does growl when you hit wot. But now with the turbo Im more in a mood to strike fear..my stealthy stock appearing car has now lost is reputation and local guys know an idea what Im packing.Cats outta the bag its an Ls..oh well but few know its boosted still.I needed something to mask over the turbo..luckily the turbo isnt that loud. So I hit up my exhaust guy to quickly blast it on and I wanted quad tips just seemed to be corvetteish look.

The first fire with the Gmmg resulted in a healthy crackle and I got giddy.The drive home on the highway was the testing ground.I could tell the sound was now coming strictly from the rear.It gives the car presence going and coming lol.I dont even feel the need to use the cutout slightly opened to get the same sensation without the interior drone.I dropped the hammer down once from a down shift and my goodness I think i made someone jump in their seat beside me.Sounds raw.I needed to seafoam the engine as late last night knowing the car would spew large amounts of smoke so time for a sound clip/vid.Hard to see the smoke show but trust me its massive.The seafoam I can say for sure made an instant improvement in throttle response is that means anything to you guys and car feels smoother.Enjoy

Old 09-23-2015, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds great. Never did like the way Magnaflow sounded.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

My magnaflow sounded good on my old sbc 383. Bus when I went to ls swaps the magnaflow no long appealed to me.the car didnt sound aggressive..it howled at wot but didnt give the car much character.Then i added the cutout which is fun and unlocked more power, but having it partially opened to give it the sound i wanted and also sounds like an exhaust leak or loose pipes so Id either close it or open it all the way on the highway. Now its just mean!

This was my maganflow when I had the 383sbc...very different tone from that motor.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Pricey but def. the best sounding Fbody Catback.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the same cam in my 383 powered 88 IROC, loved that motor! The GMMG is always a crowd favorite. I currently have the magnaflow catback and am wanting to change it out for something louder. I'm considering the single 4" setup like a Mufflex as I don't like tips on a 4thgen Camaro. Your TA looks nice man, love lsx swapped 3rdgens.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

Certain tips look great on a 4thgen and sometimes dont.4inch exhaust is alot of pipe for ground clearance if the car is lowered.Id say go with a different catback and do tun down tips just tuck under the bumper.Being louder is easy but making it sound loud and no rasp etc is hard.

Thanks for the compliment.The car looks better in pics than inperson but it boogies for a turdgen.I want to make a short vid of the car rolling down the street with the new exhaust so i have an idea just how loud other people perceive it.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've had the SLP LM1, Magnaflow and Borla catback on my 4thgen and the Borla was the only one that I liked. The mufflex or TSP 4" setup doesn't really effect ground clearance all that much. I'm going to have the Strano/Koni setup in my 98 like I had in my 95 and the clearance was awesome. Having a tip that's hidden/tucked up after going over the axle is appealing to me. At first I wanted true duals but that really effects the ground clearance so not sure I'll go through with that now. Trouble is finding a used decent catback for our cars up here in Canada for a good price is almost impossible, lol! PM me about your car I wouldn't mind checking it out in person. I'm in the same area as you.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Lol I hear ya..I got super lucky on getting the gmmg used locally and its practically new!Check out the car anytime..its not 100% best of shape right now but I dont mind people looking at it all.Im in the Scarb area
Old 09-23-2015, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Same here, Kennedy & Lawrence.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice....i wasnt impressed with magnaflow as well. Even with a cam and ORY it was quiet for my liking.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend has Kooks LTs with catted Y and the Magnaflow on his '02. Sounds good but not very loud. But that's why he added an electric cut-out. I just switched from a Flowmaster 80 series to a used GMMG kit I had sourced, I absolutely love it. What a wicked and clean sound even on stock manifolds/cats.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Love my bullet MF muffler. Got probably 1' or 1.5' of pipe off the y pipe into that bullet nothing after bullet. Has a nice deep tone
Old 09-23-2015, 10:10 PM
12 Second Club

Short clip of the exhaust rolling down the street.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good bye Magnaflow and HELLo Gmmg