Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How I adapted Hooker Blackheart Duals to TSP Headers with Cats at home

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OffspringZ28
At what point would this catback become a bottleneck? I don't plan on going big cubes anytime soon but probably heads/cam/spray. I would much prefer this over a dumped x pipe setup.
even if you lose 5hp the benefits of this system out wight that 10 fold.

i had 3inch dumps before and i hated them. i swapped them for 3.5in ypipe/ipipe setup from collector to rearend and then 3inch over the rearend out the back and i didnt lose any power. iv had couple diff setups over the years and i think the more ractical your motor is the more you will see a diff but head/can type stuff i dont think the diff matters. 5hp here or there isnt going to matter. you could build 2 of the same motors and they dyno diff amounts. there was even someone with a black procharged (think it was F1) and he didnt lose much HP if any when he did before and after dyno pulls.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
even if you lose 5hp the benefits of this system out wight that 10 fold.

i had 3inch dumps before and i hated them. i swapped them for 3.5in ypipe/ipipe setup from collector to rearend and then 3inch over the rearend out the back and i didnt lose any power. iv had couple diff setups over the years and i think the more ractical your motor is the more you will see a diff but head/can type stuff i dont think the diff matters. 5hp here or there isnt going to matter. you could build 2 of the same motors and they dyno diff amounts. there was even someone with a black procharged (think it was F1) and he didnt lose much HP if any when he did before and after dyno pulls.
Yep. Here is what that person you are referring to said:

I know all of you are thinking to yourself ok great but how does it perform… Well early on when this system was introduced there was a lot of negativity cast on this product due to the exhaust being dual 2.5” instead of dual 3” like the Kooks system. A lot of people commented that this system wouldn't support anything more than a head cam car at best.

I am happy to share that this system allowed my car to make 614/540
I am very pleased with these results compared to my old Pacesetter long tube and 3” x-pipe set up. That old set up made 630/534 so I lost a 16hp but picked up more torque. Honestly the numbers would probably be closer but I was having fueling issues above 5800rpm’s on these run so we stopped the pull’s there where the old numbers are based on pulling to 6300rpm.

For the amount of ground clearance and drivability I gain over the old set up I would sacrifice 16hp every day of the week!
From what I've researched, it's an ongoing internet debate as to what hp and tq certain exhaust configurations become a restriction. A lot of it comes down to variances in dyno reading unless they are done back to back on the same machine in perfect condition during an install. That's not the norm. If you believe internet lore, it's somewhere around 500hp that you may see less hp through dual 2.5 than you would dual 3.0".

Fwiw, I put down 422rwhp through the hooker blackheart duals and two high flow magnaflow cats on a LS1 with milled (but not ported) 243 heads and a mild cam.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

not sure if anyones remember curtis and his black t/a that use to go by "slowass" it had a 402ci in it with dual 2.5inch exhaust out the back and it made 531whp.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
not sure if anyones remember curtis and his black t/a that use to go by "slowass" it had a 402ci in it with dual 2.5inch exhaust out the back and it made 531whp.
Did he post pictures of it regularly? i think i remember him. If it's the car I'm thinking of, it's a really nice car.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ggino85
Did he post pictures of it regularly? i think i remember him. If it's the car I'm thinking of, it's a really nice car.
yea he posted alot of pics of it but he sold it some odd years ago.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:48 PM
Launching!

That car was one of the reasons i got a trans am instead of a camaro when i got a chance to get another f body. His car was sick! I wonder if the new owner is still driving it around somewhere.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you guys need to do the panhard relocation bracket when installing this system?
Old 10-07-2017, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1Zedder
Did you guys need to do the panhard relocation bracket when installing this system?
Nope. The kit comes with spacers to move the panhard down just enough to clear. Works great.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

RebelExtrm02. If you lived anywhere close to me I would take you out for a round of beers or 3! I have hated the loudmouth, TSP catted Y for years and have wanted true duals. Based on your writeup I decided to take the plunge. I ordered all the same parts you did and adapted it to my Pacesetters very easily. The sound is very similar (which I am super happy about) minus the rasp (which I am even more happy about) and fitment is sooo nice. Great ground clearance and tight. No more rattling and thumping and scraping for me. I decided to go the extra mile and do poly motor mounts at the same time. I even like the look of the Firebird quad tips! I couldn't be happier with the results. I'll hoist a cold one (or 3) in your honour!
Old 07-16-2018, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1Zedder
RebelExtrm02. If you lived anywhere close to me I would take you out for a round of beers or 3! I have hated the loudmouth, TSP catted Y for years and have wanted true duals. Based on your writeup I decided to take the plunge. I ordered all the same parts you did and adapted it to my Pacesetters very easily. The sound is very similar (which I am super happy about) minus the rasp (which I am even more happy about) and fitment is sooo nice. Great ground clearance and tight. No more rattling and thumping and scraping for me. I decided to go the extra mile and do poly motor mounts at the same time. I even like the look of the Firebird quad tips! I couldn't be happier with the results. I'll hoist a cold one (or 3) in your honour!
That’s outstanding! I’m happy to hear it! I still love my exhaust. With the right cam it’s still quite loud. I get compliments on the sound all the time. The last time I had it tuned the people in the shop couldn’t believe it was an fbody when they heard it rip.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02

That’s outstanding! I’m happy to hear it! I still love my exhaust. With the right cam it’s still quite loud. I get compliments on the sound all the time. The last time I had it tuned the people in the shop couldn’t believe it was an fbody when they heard it rip.
Mine still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. I think the CME Iv'e got probably makes it a little quieter than normal but when you step on the pedal it really roars.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rybern
Yep. Took me 2 weeks working on it in my spare time to install polymounts, SE 1 7/8" LT's and BH duals. I used the FM 3 to 2.5 reducers with a slight modification to the driver BH side bend. I had to extend both ends of the passenger BH side bend pipe to make it all work out but I was able to use unused parts of the BH kit to do this. I also had to cut off 1" from the driver side SE header and 1/2" from the passenger side header to make everything work out. But everything seems to be on nice and snug, no rubbing and plenty of ground clearance. I'm very happy so far. I had my car dyno'd today and while it was on the lift we noticed what looks like a just a tad bit of rubbing from the driver side pipe on the floor board. I have never heard it so its probably only happening in hard acceleration. Here is my dyno vid link for your sound pleasure. http://www.youtube.com/attribution_l...m-upload_owner

Here is the modified passenger side bend. I extended the inlet side 3.5" and welded 1" to the outlet side.

Here is what the passenger side pipe looked like before I modified it.

Here is the drivers side pipe. All I had to do was straighten out the upward bend a little bit. To do this, I clamped a thickwall pipe thats the same size as the ID of the inlet to a VERY sturdy bench and then clamped the passenger side to it with the band clamp. I then heated it red hot and leaned on it until it had half of the amount of bend that I started with. I used a long straightedge as a measuring too.

Here is another photo.
Do you remember which part # for the kit you purchased?
Old 08-12-2019, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark_Side
Do you remember which part # for the kit you purchased?
I do not. Sorry. I have sold the car and sent the records with it. I miss that car and think of it often.

Quick Reply: How I adapted Hooker Blackheart Duals to TSP Headers with Cats at home