Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak around driver's side valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil leak around driver's side valve cover

As the title states, I have a slow leak around the driver's side valve cover towards the firewall. I have replaced the gasket, but no luck. Torqued 106 in/lb inside to out per spec as well. Is there any way the valve cover itself could be bad? Like warped? It should be worth noting I have a LS6 valley cover with an oil catch can installed so the stock LS1 PCV system is gone. That PCV hole is plugged on the valve cover, but it is not leaking. The leak is right around the gasket above the area of the #7 cylinder

The car will drip a 1-2 drops of oil a night after a couple of weeks after I clean the oil off the valve cover and underbody (after an oil change). The oil runs down to those bolts close to the oil filter. OPSU is bone dry, cam sensor and valley cover are good as well. The rear main was replaced last year with the installation of a new clutch. So this oil is likely coming from the valve cover, but could be something else as well knowing my luck. I do know the valve cover is leaking for sure though. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 05-23-2016, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

Here's how the leak looks under the car...
Old 05-24-2016, 07:04 AM
Launching!

The valve cover seals are a good design and generally seal well. If you replaced the valve cover gaskets and didn't see any pitting or corrosion, then I'd tend to think the leak is elsewhere. Check to ensure the some part of the gasket didn't fall out of the groove in the valve covers during installation, which could cause a leak. With a good light and a mirror, you should be able to see the back side of the gasket where you suspect the leak. Also, there is a rubber cap on the top of the valve cover toward the back of the engine. You might check that also to see if it's failed and leaking.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply! I checked the cap and its fine. The back of the cover and gasket appears to be fine as well. I cleaned up the leak from up top on the valve cover yesterday evening. I have some errands to run today so it might start leaking again and I'll get pics of what I think is the source of the leak.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

So I drove it some today and sure enough, it's leaking. I picked up some Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets today as well. I'm gonna change those Thursday and hope it stops it. Thing is, this will be the 3rd set of gaskets I'll have put on (tried to fix the leak 4 years ago in the same location w/Fel Pro and then used GM gaskets 3 years ago while repairing a head gasket). The leak has been at the same location regardless of the gaskets used. I have not replaced the gromets, but there is no leak from the bolts. I never used RTV to "set" the gaskets. Any tips so I do these right? Replace gromets? Use RTV? Bad valve cover?

Here's a pic with the leak circled.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe your crankcase pressure is too high causing the repeated leak? What does the gasket look like when you pull it?
Old 05-24-2016, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NineZeroFive
Maybe your crankcase pressure is too high causing the repeated leak? What does the gasket look like when you pull it?
Wel I replaced it today after all. The gasket looked to be fine. Head surface was good and the valve cover appeared to be ok as well. I cleaned the surfaces up really well with brake cleaner and then installed the new gasket and torqued it to spec. I disconnected the fuel and evap lines to make sure I didn't kink the gasket or anything. I'll see how it does, but my expectations are low.

You bring up an interesting point though. Would it be feasible to try a breather on that hole for the stock LS1 PCV since I have the LS6 valley cover?
Old 05-24-2016, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Yeah possibly. I'd start doing some research on it for options, if only for peace of mind. The amount of gaskets you've gone through is excessive. Did you check the cover with a square while it was off to make sure it's true? I know you said it passed the eyeball test but I'm just trying to eliminate possibilities.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NineZeroFive
Did you check the cover with a square while it was off to make sure it's true? I know you said it passed the eyeball test but I'm just trying to eliminate possibilities.
Unfortunately I did not. I'm kicking myself now. If it does leak again, I still have the other gasket so I could take it off and check. I'm gonna research a breather as an option first and try that if it leaks before pulling the valve cover off again.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the help and if anyone else has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I've found that the Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets don't stay in the groove and it's very hard to mount the cover without it falling out somewhere. I switched to VICTOR REINZ valve cover gaskets and they fit perfectly. They don't drop out or move at all once the are seated in the groove. They fit so tightly, that you will need to clean the cover groove with brake clean to install them and they stay in like they were glued.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jontall
I've found that the Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets don't stay in the groove and it's very hard to mount the cover without it falling out somewhere. I switched to VICTOR REINZ valve cover gaskets and they fit perfectly. They don't drop out or move at all once the are seated in the groove. They fit so tightly, that you will need to clean the cover groove with brake clean to install them and they stay in like they were glued.
That's pretty legit. I've searched for them, but can only find them with a $350 gasket set. Where can I buy them individually?
Old 05-25-2016, 06:11 AM
Launching!

Put a little RTV sealant at a few points in the cover - say a spot every 6 inches or so before inserting the gaskets. The gaskets will stay just fine.

Last edited by unit; 05-25-2016 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Changed wording for clarity
Old 05-25-2016, 07:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy Diver,
You can get the Victor Reinz valve cover gaskets for $13 (without grommets Part #VS50250) or $18 (with grommets part # VS50250A) on rockauto.com
The following users liked this post:
rob_mcarthur (12-30-2022)
Old 05-25-2016, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are excellent valve cover gaskets and I get them at Rockauto too.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

10-4. I appreciate it guys. So far, so good with the Fel-Pro. I drove it kinda hard today to put it to the test... and no leak - yet haha. If one does reoccur, I'll try the Victor Reinz's and check to see if the cover itself is jacked up. I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

If that doesn't do it you should lean towards the oil pressure sensor. It is very common for those to leak.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01Z0H6
If that doesn't do it you should lean towards the oil pressure sensor. It is very common for those to leak.
OPSU is bone dry to touch. I also used my phone to take a video of everything back there and it looked dry as well. I did the Fel-Pros, but the leak is still there, although significantly reduced. The oil leak under the car has stopped. I'm gonna do the Victor Reinz gaskets and replace gromets as well. Also going to check that the VC is straight with a square as previously suggested. We'll see how that works. I do appreciate the response tho!
Old 05-31-2016, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Use brake clean to clean out the valve cover gasket groove before installing the Victor Reinz gaskets. They will fit super tight and will not move during the install.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jontall
Use brake clean to clean out the valve cover gasket groove before installing the Victor Reinz gaskets. They will fit super tight and will not move during the install.
Good call, will do! Thanks dude!
Old 06-01-2016, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Mine leaks in same spot despite new felpro gaskets. Your not alone!

Quick Reply: Oil leak around driver's side valve cover