Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust advice LS1 Stepped headers

Old 06-06-2016, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust advice LS1 Stepped headers

Hey guys.
Current build; Aftermarket Camshaft (unkown specs) 85mm Intake 85mm Throttle Body SLP Bellow and Air Lid A/C Delete. Mcleod LS7 clutch, Headers (cat delete) 3" mandrel pipe Magnaflow Muffler.

The 1 7/8" headers finally blew a hole (rust, and running next to a Vette), and sounds like garbage. They're fiberglass wrapped (should've taken it off, but that's moot at this point).
I'm looking at Hedman 1 5/8" stepped to 1/78" headers (#68534). the cam causes a lot of valve overlap, and the exhaust smells of unburnt fuel, which could partially be due to no cats. I'm wondering if the stepped headers would be a better choice, since the the larger headers on there now could be over-scavenging at idle?

Any advice would be helpful. I want to get new headers, as it's kind of embarrassing having a nice ride that sounds like it's running with a broken crank. I plan on having the factory heads redone, or eventually a rebuild, but I'll worry about that when the time comes, and upgrade the headers then.
I've read that smaller primaries are better for low end torque, and larger for high end torque. The stepped should give better overall performance through the power curve?

Any advice would be helpful.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my stepped headers. I ran without cats for a while and couldn't stand the smell so I put on a set of high flow cats.
Where did you blow the hole through. can you get to it. I had a fixture break off of my header and did a temp patch by cutting up a 2" copper water pipe collar and clamping it over the hole.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust advice LS1 Stepped headers