Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will these coils work with my 3500 Express Van LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will these coils work with my 3500 Express Van LQ4

Hi all,
I am a newb to the LS world and a newb to this forum. I am building an LQ4 out of a 3500 Express Van for my Jeep Rock Bouncer/Crawler with one ton axles. It had the truck style coils on it which were round with heat sink on each. My problem is that I bought a set of the Holley polished LS valve covers for the motor. These only support coils that have the 72mm bolt spacing and as we all know the truck coils have a smaller space between the holes so they won't bolt up.

I picked up a set of these MSD model 55118 coils for LS2,LS3, etc

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-55118

My question is, is there any adverse affect to using these vs the round truck coils? I already read the coil upgrade thread on here where folks are upgrading from the style that I had from the kind that I just bought. I am doing the opposite just because I wanted a direct bolt-in coil without having to fab a new bracket, etc.

I searched for this but all I found was upgrading to my truck style coils but not the other way around. Will I have any issues when it gets dyno tuned with these coils or will it suffice?

The motor isn't going to be used on the street or track for high HP or for drag racing or anything like that. It's just a cammed V8 in a Jeep for the additional torque.

Will these coils work with my 3500 Express Van LQ4-cmpxgcy.jpg
Old 08-10-2016, 09:50 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Any LS ignition coil will fire your engine.

I don't know if they improved them but many people had failure issues with MSD LS coils. Stock coils are considered pretty reliable. The set in my truck (heat sinked round coils) have 250,000 miles on them.

Quick Reply: Will these coils work with my 3500 Express Van LQ4