Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size exhaust & what Mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size exhaust & what Mufflers?

Hello Gents, i am getting to the point in my 5.3/ TH400 swap into my 74 Corvette to figure out what to do for exhaust... I know its conflicting but just want to here some legit opinions on the route to take. The engine is a stock displacement 5.3 with a Tick Performance Cam, 2.00" intake valves heads shaved .010". I already have 1-3/4" long tube headers and it is fuel injected. I know i want an X pipe in the exhaust somewhere space is a huge drawback on this thing. I am thinking 3" all the way back through some sort of bullet mufflers but want to know what you guy think. Also the car will be sprayed with a wet kit and is street/strip as in i drive it to work sometimes in the summer, cruise with it, but also run it hard at the track so looking for the happy medium of max performance, sound bada*s, but still be tolerable on the highway. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Classic chambered exhaust systems
Old 10-05-2016, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

As in Flowmasters or similar? Have a recommendation on pipe size? Some people say these things need to breath go 3" then i hear 2.5" is more then enough. But then my brothers stock 6.0 truck has 3.5" from the factory so that's why i was thinking 3" duals with an X pipe. Thanks
Old 10-05-2016, 10:39 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I think you will like the car better as a street car with dual 2.25" or 2.5" ID exhaust pipes.

A single 2.5" exhaust downpipe off a turbine is enough for over 400rwhp. The sluggish movement of slow moving exhaust will negatively effect low speed performance, as it subtracts from cylinder fill/VE at lower rpms.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
I think you will like the car better as a street car with dual 2.25" or 2.5" ID exhaust pipes.

A single 2.5" exhaust downpipe off a turbine is enough for over 400rwhp. The sluggish movement of slow moving exhaust will negatively effect low speed performance, as it subtracts from cylinder fill/VE at lower rpms.
I read this post and thought what drugs is this person on and then I look and see good ole Kingtal0n posted it and it all made sense. Do you actually believe what you post or are you just copying and pasting it from some other idiots post? What you just posted pretty much only applies to header primary size and collector size/length ...Not the rest of the exhaust system. When it comes to headers bigger isn't always better but from the collectors back as long as it's not restrictive there is no real gain or loss to worry about. If that were the case then open headers wouldn't make more power in almost every case over a full exhaust system. Edit: and not just any open headers, They have to be sized for the application...If the primaries are to big you will lose power. It's all about getting gases out through efficient scavenging, This is one reason you can gain with a crossover in a full exhaust system.

Last edited by LLLosingit; 10-05-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:32 AM
Banned

yawn. show me testing of engines back to back with different size exhaust systems, all else being equal. Then we will see whats going on.

words
Old 10-06-2016, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

when you see the amount of power that can be made through an aftermarket 3" y pipe set up (which is in effect a SINGLE 3" pipe) 2.5" duals is plenty for this application. too many people think bigger is better, NOT.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got a pypes 2.5 stainless exhaust, with X-pipe and mufflers for my 72 GMC Sprint (El Camino) with a cammed 402. Sounds great and flows well.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by farmington
when you see the amount of power that can be made through an aftermarket 3" y pipe set up (which is in effect a SINGLE 3" pipe) 2.5" duals is plenty for this application. too many people think bigger is better, NOT.
I agree with the bigger not being better as long as it's not so small that it's restrictive, But the point I was making to the other person who replied is that bigger is not detrimental. Different header pipe sizes and length can change where power is made, After the collector doesn't really matter so much. Personally I like the sound of larger pipes with free flowing mufflers over small pipes with the same type muffler. The larger pipe seems to deepen the sound and not make it cackle as much.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

I appreciate everyone response and the points made, i think i am going to go with the 3" since i will be spraying the car and i am told nitrous likes a free flowing exhaust. I am also putting an X pipe in hopefully their worth the hype. The point of the larger pipe now is that i plan to do a larger Cubic inch engine late next year so why do it twice..
Old 10-08-2016, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yawn. show me testing of engines back to back with different size exhaust systems, all else being equal. Then we will see whats going on.

words
You're a moron.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by OEF14vette
I appreciate everyone response and the points made, i think i am going to go with the 3" since i will be spraying the car and i am told nitrous likes a free flowing exhaust. I am also putting an X pipe in hopefully their worth the hype. The point of the larger pipe now is that i plan to do a larger Cubic inch engine late next year so why do it twice..
Absolutely the correct choice. On my daily driver I run a 3" X-pipe, a pair of straight through mufflers and right out the side. It looks like this, and no...I'm not a good welder, but it doesn't leak and hasn't fallen apart:

Attachment 720795

Ran it on my more mild stock short block LQ4, midrange cam and same heads I'm running now. With the 1-3/4 headers it was pretty peppy down low. Now I run 2" primary headers (OMG, they're too big!) on my new motor. Still plenty peppy driving it around every day and it won't choke on the spray.

Last edited by 1970camaroRS; 10-09-2016 at 01:26 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:33 AM
Banned

And you are a mad turkey

"I know most car guys aren't interested in calculus, but I really wish they would actually compute the area under the curve and compare those values. You can see the difference in peak power is real, however small, but what was the effect on the whole power band? Is it the same percentage as the differences in peak?

It'd be nice to have a number other than peak power to point to that explains how much power the engine really makes throughout the rev range.
"
https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...ngine_masters/

The video agrees with, and so do the people who watch it, everything I question about 2.5" vs 3" exhaust. That is, area under the curve. Its not always about the peak.

If a single 3" will support 500rwhp to my tires... then a dual 3" might support 900+ amirite? high five.

Get more mad. I would not be proud of that side exit mess.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

And you are a mad turkey

The video agrees with, and so do the people who watch it, everything I question about 2.5" vs 3" exhaust. That is, area under the curve. Its not always about the peak.

If a single 3" will support 500rwhp to my tires... then a dual 3" might support 900+ amirite? high five.

This might explain your answer!

I think that sometimes I just hate myself, so I want others to hate me also. This is where it happens, its like self trolling because point of view is everything when discussing these issues and nobody can ever say anybody is wrong because they can be right in their own heads.

"You must unlearn what you have learned"
"You may find that a great many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on the point of view"
-Starwars pretty sure the jedi guys each say this in turns

These discussions are tolerated better on some forums than others. The EFI section of MS for example- I posted similar graphs and received a reasonable feedback discussion.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

This is actually, absolutely correct. Ive had just about every single size of header on my car, from a stepped 1 5/8ths to now a full 2"/3.5". With each increase in size an area under the curve was softened, and an area over the curve was made better. It really depends on application. On my 6.0 Yukon, I chose 1 3/4s as I felt it was a good blend of characteristics, but still left me with useful torque for towing. I personally wouldnt go less then 3" for exhaust, I mean youre modding it for a reason, so why not make the change that helps the motor breathe in the upper rpms (where stock engines suffer).

Originally Posted by farmington
Youve got a lot to learn there little whipper snapper.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:45 PM
10 Second Club

People talk about the "area under the curve" and I'm noticing more and more they include the power numbers under 3,000rpm. These numbers don't matter very much in reality unless you want to feel snappy up to 30mph and that's it. In my setup, I only need enough power under 3,000rpm at part throttle to get me up to the speed limit quicker than a Civic. In action, my car never sees 3,000rpm at the track. It sees 4,000rpm once since it's above 5,400rpm after the 1-2 shift.

Last edited by 1970camaroRS; 10-09-2016 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:52 AM
10 Second Club

And you are a mad turkey

I.......don't understand you. You talk about the myth of exhaust velocity in the post-header exhaust system and how it will make more torque or more responsive or whatever. I post a video refuting this idea since the 3" clearly resulted in more power at every point above 3,500rpm and essentially the same power below that. Then you use the same video, plus some gibberish about "area under the curve", which is a poor argument in this case because the 3" has a much larger area. See here, 3" black line, 2.5" blue line.

What size exhaust & what Mufflers?-fit4aqt.png

Also, good luck making 500rwhp on a naturally aspirated engine. Funny how you bring a turbo to every knife fight and fail to realize it's apples and oranges. Here's an old post on the topic that is somewhat scientific/mathematical/theoretical that you might like to refute, re-imagine or twist any way you like.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ml#post2987587
Old 10-09-2016, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 1970camaroRS
People talk about the "area under the curve" and I'm noticing more and more they include the power numbers under 3,000rpm. These numbers don't matter very much in reality unless you want to feel snappy up to 30mph and that's it. In my setup, I only need enough power under 3,000rpm at part throttle to get me up to the speed limit quicker than a Civic. In action, my car never sees 3,000rpm at the track. It sees 4,000rpm once since it's above 5,400rpm after the 1-2 shift.
You're correct, for a car racing, bigger is better. But for people just driving around, like what I considered daily drivers the smaller primary headers/exhaust are noticeable. Actually I didnt notice until I started going up in size and the around town and part throttle started going away. Point being there is an application for each.

I.......don't understand you. You talk about the myth of exhaust velocity in the post-header exhaust system and how it will make more torque or more responsive or whatever.
This is actually true, the further back, the exhaust cools and velocity is far less important. Headers have a direct effect on powerband (did wonders for my 6.0 yukon that was flat on its face by 5k) but exhaust further and further back has less and less of an effect.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You're correct, for a car racing, bigger is better. But for people just driving around, like what I considered daily drivers the smaller primary headers/exhaust are noticeable. Actually I didnt notice until I started going up in size and the around town and part throttle started going away. Point being there is an application for each.

This is actually true, the further back, the exhaust cools and velocity is far less important. Headers have a direct effect on powerband (did wonders for my 6.0 yukon that was flat on its face by 5k) but exhaust further and further back has less and less of an effect.
I daily drive my car with 2" primary headers. The only thing I noticed going from 1-3/4 headers was a lack of off-idle torque at low throttle input (like less than 4% tps) when backing out of a parking spot or leaving a stop light. Takes a tiny bit more throttle to get going, but it just means a change in driving style. But with an over-abundance of available torque and only needing a tiny bit of it to keep up with traffic, it's silly to think going over-sized kills driveability. The other thing I noticed was in tuning for under 3,000rpm cruise and part throttle acceleration. The signal to the wideband was skewed to a false lean a bit worse than the other header. Some of that is the function of the cam as well. Of course, I'm also running 4.30 gears and a 4,000 stall, so it covers up a lot of the over-sized header and big overlap cam. Getting closed-loop to function well in a day to day environment has been fun...
Old 10-10-2016, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I daily drive my car with 2" primary headers. The only thing I noticed going from 1-3/4 headers was a lack of off-idle torque at low throttle input (like less than 4% tps) when backing out of a parking spot or leaving a stop light. Takes a tiny bit more throttle to get going, but it just means a change in driving style. But with an over-abundance of available torque and only needing a tiny bit of it to keep up with traffic, it's silly to think going over-sized kills driveability. The other thing I noticed was in tuning for under 3,000rpm cruise and part throttle acceleration. The signal to the wideband was skewed to a false lean a bit worse than the other header. Some of that is the function of the cam as well. Of course, I'm also running 4.30 gears and a 4,000 stall, so it covers up a lot of the over-sized header and big overlap cam. Getting closed-loop to function well in a day to day environment has been fun...
You nailed it! I think some people confuse throttle response with torque or low end power. While I guess throttle response could be considered off idle torque or off idle power, off idle takes a fraction of a second to complete.

Quick Reply: What size exhaust & what Mufflers?