Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP air lid not sealing properly

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP air lid not sealing properly

I have had a SLP lid on my 2002 Camaro for a while now and one problem is that the rear of the lid does not sit completely down, the latches in the front are fine and the 2 tabs on the back go in but do not sit completely down so there is a little gap I can push it down and it will seal but when I let up the gap returns I wanted to know if anyone has came across this problem and if so the best way to fix it.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost everyone comes across that problem. Go to a hardware store and get a roll of closed cell foam that you use as weather stripping for your house door. Choose the size that will squish in the gap and then take the lid off and peel the back and stick it to the underside of the lid. I've used it on multiple lids for many years
Old 12-13-2016, 10:30 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I'm assuming you bought the car with the lid on it. The new SLP lid I purchased came with a strip of insulation for that purpose.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I'm assuming you bought the car with the lid on it. The new SLP lid I purchased came with a strip of insulation for that purpose.

If there is still a gap back there with the seal, pull that **** off and get a thicker one to fill the gap. Some lids are warped more than others.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
do you have a picture of this? i have an SLP lid and it did not come with that but appears to be sealing fine. just wondering what it looks like
Old 12-14-2016, 10:00 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

No I don't. But a solution is what I do with the TSP lid on my other car. I place a strip of 1/4" adhesive weatherstrip on top of the rear ridge of the air filter. That seals it.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LStrev530
I have had a SLP lid on my 2002 Camaro for a while now and one problem is that the rear of the lid does not sit completely down, the latches in the front are fine and the 2 tabs on the back go in but do not sit completely down so there is a little gap I can push it down and it will seal but when I let up the gap returns I wanted to know if anyone has came across this problem and if so the best way to fix it.
This is the reason I sold my SLP lid shortly after I bought it and ended up going with the SLP Blackwing lid. The SLP Blackwing lid is injection molded (just like the original lid) and is very sturdy. It's clear that the Blackwing lid was designed and tested to meet OEM standards. In comparison, the aftermarket SLP lid is vacuum molded, needs to be glued in the back section, and feels like a flimsy piece of crap. With that said, I'm sure you could get the regular SLP lid to seal using methods noted above or worst case, put a thick bead of silicon on the sealing surface.

This link has details: https://xse.com/leres/ss/airlid.html

When buying a used '98-02 F-body, I would look for this. If the car has an aftermarket lid, who knows how long it's been pulling in unfiltered air from the back section of the lid.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a blackwing lid for that reason as well. The regular slp lid was just crap. I now have a FTP lid to match my FAST intake and its okay.

Quick Reply: SLP air lid not sealing properly