Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't the kit cone with stainless band clamps? I thought that's what the description said.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2QuikTA
Doesn't the kit cone with stainless band clamps? I thought that's what the description said.
I'm replacing the supplied clamps with this style: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-692300-1

I couldn't get even a thin-walled socket over the bolt head or nut on the supplied clamps. When using two open end wrenches, they would just strip out before coming close to clamping the tube.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MChampion
I'm replacing the supplied clamps with this style: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-692300-1

I couldn't get even a thin-walled socket over the bolt head or nut on the supplied clamps. When using two open end wrenches, they would just strip out before coming close to clamping the tube.
The wide style are what I replace even kooks and AR clamps with. They are much better all around.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought the rear exit kit and have had a few issues, which is almost to be expected when it comes from China.

My package did not contain the passenger side exhaust tip, packing list of materials, or clamps that are worth your time. Speed Engineering will, hopefully, replace the missing tip and I am buying 9 stainless band clamps to replace the junk pieces in the kit.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, you will need to grind down the washer for the rear-most hangar brackets to fit.

On the bright side, it sounded pretty good for the 50ft I drove it out the door of the shop.

Crazy to hear man . Everything for me went on great and the bands that were supplied were good I was able to use just a regular socket and a wrench to hold the top to tighten them All down. I do hope speed engineering supply the new nuts for future ppl for the exhaust hangers.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whats this about removing the trans cross member?? Is that true? Im getting a 9inch with a tunnel mount TA
Old 01-31-2017, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

On the problem joins that need a better clamp force, buy 3" Walker U-bolt clamps from summit. They are heavy duty and will clamp the pipes much easier, and proper. $3 each...
Old 01-31-2017, 09:57 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 73CamaroLT
Whats this about removing the trans cross member?? Is that true? Im getting a 9inch with a tunnel mount TA
I had to remove the crossmember to slide the x-pipe in through the tunnel mount. But I put it back on after I slid in the x pipe.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Launch
On the problem joins that need a better clamp force, buy 3" Walker U-bolt clamps from summit. They are heavy duty and will clamp the pipes much easier, and proper. $3 each...
U-bolt clamps look like **** and crush the pipes. Spend the extra money and get some different stainless band clamps if anybody doesn't like the kit ones.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by codyvette
The wide style are what I replace even kooks and AR clamps with. They are much better all around.
those wide ones are ****...thin and flimsy as hell.

The thicker ones about one inch wide are the bests clamps but need the slits in the pipes so the clamp can conform the outer pipe to the inner pipe
Old 02-01-2017, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

After looking at the pipes again they all have the slits in them so not sure why anyone would not use the clamps that came with the kit because they are the best clamps you can get unless they are not the clamps I think they are???

Is this what the kit comes with? These are the best clamps on the market

Old 02-01-2017, 12:48 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Full-Force
After looking at the pipes again they all have the slits in them so not sure why anyone would not use the clamps that came with the kit because they are the best clamps you can get unless they are not the clamps I think they are???

Is this what the kit comes with? These are the best clamps on the market

Yes very similar to those
Old 02-01-2017, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Years ago I bought some band clamps from jegs with a sticky material on the inside to help seal any leaks. I've had great luck with them.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:32 PM
Teching In

I would have used the clamps if they were workable. I could not fit even a thin walled socket on them and when using wrenches, the threads would strip out.

The wide-set stainless clamps are fantastic and I have used them with great success. We'll see how the install goes this weekend with all the parts and decent clamps.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm having a hard time getting the back half to act right. I just cant get the pipes to point out of the back correctly. Does anyone have pictures from under the car,it sure would help.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I would have used the clamps if they were workable. I could not fit even a thin walled socket on them and when using wrenches, the threads would strip out.

The wide-set stainless clamps are fantastic and I have used them with great success. We'll see how the install goes this weekend with all the parts and decent clamps.
To cut cost they may have used a knock-off of the accuseal clamps. You can hit the accuseal clamps with an impact and they will take it without stripping. You can crank the **** out of them.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:03 PM
TECH Junkie

I believe I would put some turndown on them bitches over the axle!

Old 02-01-2017, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To cut cost they may have used a knock-off of the accuseal clamps. You can hit the accuseal clamps with an impact and they will take it without stripping. You can crank the **** out of them.
Agreed. If the supplied clamps aren't working for you, spend your money on the acuseal brand of the same style clamps. The thin walled wide band clamps have leaked every single time I have tried to use them. Acuseal clamps on the other hand have never leaked. If you really want to get fancy, weld on some v-band flanges.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

those wide ones are ****...thin and flimsy as hell.

The thicker ones about one inch wide are the bests clamps but need the slits in the pipes so the clamp can conform the outer pipe to the inner pipe
I have found them to work excellent. You do need to support the exhaust with good mounts. I don't like the fact that the narrower, thicker ones pinch the inner pipe. It can make disassembly a pain in the ***.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

Has anyone tried one of these with a Midwest Chassis double drop tunnel mount TQ arm setup?
http://midwestchassis.com/products/9...unt-torque-arm
Old 02-02-2017, 02:43 AM
Teching In

can these fit a 97 Z?

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!