Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of new power gains should I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of new power gains should I expect?

Ive got a true stock ls6 heads intake motor from a 04 ctsv in a iroc, I've got a 4 inch cold air intake 6.0 truck maf, a tick torque max stage 3 cam, bt racing dual springs, 1-3/4 inch long tubes eBay cheaps with 3 inch collectors into a 2.25 inch exhaust shop made y pipe into the old school flowmaster dual mufflers. After a tune the car made 388hp and 386 torque on a dyno jet but the guys tuning it said it should do better but fell off due to an exhaust issue. So I've got a new exhaust system ordered with it being a matching 3 inch y pipe for the long tubes and magnaflows 3 inch cat back system ordered. What kind of gains if any would you guys expect with the new set up?
Old 02-24-2017, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

confused on what exactly your old system is....you says y pipe which would be a single exhaust but you say flowmaster muffler(s) which makes me think duals

without knowing anymore im gonna say an extra 10hp or so

your power numbers are not bad if its an automatic
Old 02-24-2017, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10-15 hp gain with the larger exhaust. Keep in mind that many of the ebay 1 3/4 headers are actually 1 5/8. You are leaving power on the table running those manifolds.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:42 PM
Teching In

6 speed and it goes from a small y pipe to single 2.75 inch to flowmaster single in to duals the long tubes are stainless steel works. If that helps
Old 02-28-2017, 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowandslowww
6 speed and it goes from a small y pipe to single 2.75 inch to flowmaster single in to duals the long tubes are stainless steel works. If that helps
Ok, I think you have that shitty 80 series crossflow flowmaster muffler. Might as well cap the exhaust tips off and let it find a leak somewhere in the exhaust. That would probably flow better than that muffler!

Get us some pics
Old 03-01-2017, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Ok, I think you have that shitty 80 series crossflow flowmaster muffler. Might as well cap the exhaust tips off and let it find a leak somewhere in the exhaust. That would probably flow better than that muffler!

Get us some pics
the blowmasters are a real bitch. I say get a straight thru muffler design like the SLP
Old 03-03-2017, 08:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First the cheap long tubes aren't helping you much, more than likely choking you right off the get go. Flowmaster exhaust I really haven't see many rave reviews on them, but going from a 3" collector to 2.25" exhaust is slowing down the exhaust gases a lot.

Just upgrading your exhaust from collectors to muffler will net you about a 12-15hp.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Teching In

I'm running the same cam with mild lobes on my 98 stock heads. I made 390hp and 380tq with a Maf delete. 6 speed car. I got speed long tubes, ls6 intake, y pipe going into flowmasters. I'm also curious to see if you get more power by getting rid of the flowmasters and going with a different exhaust.

Quick Reply: What kind of new power gains should I expect?