Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped intake manifold insert (TB to Intake)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped intake manifold insert (TB to Intake)

Hey folks, I appear to have cross-threaded a throttle body bolt when putting my intake tract back together after installing a new water pump and thermostat. This would be one of the three metal inserts in the intake manifold which the TB bolts thread into. (see images)

I got the bolt out but I think the insert is ruined and needs to be replaced. Upon inspecting it closer, it appears to have a 15mm hex head on the back side, which makes me think I can remove it and install a new metal insert to get back on the road. Unfortunately I had no luck searching online for more info and don't know how to find replacement inserts or even if they can be replaced. Can anyone share their experience and help me understand my options? Surely the insert is replaceable and I don't have to buy a whole new intake manifold...

Engine: 2002 Camaro LS1
Intake Manifold: LS6
Old 02-14-2015, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just put a bolt through it with a nut on the back end. You really don't need to insert it.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by svede1212
Just put a bolt through it with a nut on the back end. You really don't need to insert it.
Seems like a solid plan. Between my frustration at the issue and my focus on getting it back to how it was before the foul-up such a simple solution didn't occur to me before I posted.
I'll drill it out and get back to business as usual...though for general knowledge, I'm still curious if the inserts are replaceable and where to buy 'em. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2015, 05:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

don't drill it out, just run a tap through it. If it won't tighten down, then put a nut on the back.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:51 PM

Sorry to dig up an old one, but I find myself in the exact same situation now as KameTrick.

That top threaded nut/insert is stripped out on my LS6 intake manifold and I want to replace it, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere, online or otherwise. I have replaced it with a standard nut and washer in the meantime, but is this thing really impossible to find?! I know the aforementioned fixes are sufficient, but I'd like to replace it with an OEM solution if I can help it.

The closest I've come is a standard M6 x 1.00 rivet nut, but the O.D. isn't the same as this stock one, so it doesn't have a snug fit at all. Also the flange is much smaller and not this 15mm hex shape we see in the photos.

Someone must know how to come by a fresh batch of these? Aside from salvaging them from intake manifolds that are no longer usable.

Any help in tracking this part down is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Heli-Coil

Too eeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzy
Old 07-02-2020, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Actually, drilling it thru and using a bolt and nut will be stronger than the original setup. Don't sweat the OEM setup unless entered into a "concours d'elegance".
Old 07-02-2020, 07:31 PM

I appreciate the replies.

I honestly can’t find that particular insert/rivet nut, whatever it is.. anywhere. But I’m not a purist by any means. Just wanted it functional first and foremost, so I’ll probably stick with the bolt and nut I have on there.

Quick Reply: Stripped intake manifold insert (TB to Intake)