Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS swap O2 sensor connectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS swap O2 sensor connectors

Hey all. So, I ordered a new wiring harness for my lt1-ls1 swap from BP Automotive (the car is a 97 Trans Am, the LS1 came from an 02 z28). The harness looks awesome! Very well made, it even came with new vacuum lines and firewall grommet. Alas, the connectors for the O2 sensors are different from the connectors on the sensors mounted to the LT headers. The sensors on the headers have the square 4 pin connectors, while the new harness has flat 4 pin connectors. There is a website (Michigan Motor sports I believe) that sells an adapter, but it says they are for c5 Corvettes. My question is, will those adapters work? I feel stupid for asking, because I figure if the plug fits, right? But I'd like a second (or more) opinion before I buy them. Thanks in advance, I'm so ready to drive this beast again

Old 04-25-2020, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

I ran into a similar problem with my 70 El Camino. Go to the junkyard and look for the connectors you need and swap these onto your O2 sensors. It was an easy wire color matching solution for me between the two styles of O2 sensor. Solder the wires at each connection, use some heat shrink tubing for protection and stiffness and you should be good to go for little money.

Rick
Old 04-26-2020, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts

You have obd1 lt1 style O2 connectors on the engine side. I’d get proper square connectors from junkyard and switch wires. Terminals are the same, ideally instead of cutting and soldering, just remove terminals from connectors and install wires from your engine harness into junkyard square connectors. Wire colours should he the same.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
You have obd1 lt1 style O2 connectors on the engine side. I’d get proper square connectors from junkyard and switch wires. Terminals are the same, ideally instead of cutting and soldering, just remove terminals from connectors and install wires from your engine harness into junkyard square connectors. Wire colours should he the same.
So, basically, I can take the wires out of the BP harness connectors, and put them in the square connectors that are on the original Ls1 harness? Also, one more stupid question, can I just put Lt1 sensors on my headers and plug them into the BP harness?

Quick Reply: LS swap O2 sensor connectors