Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a bad Ign relay cause car to die?

Old 06-05-2017, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can a bad Ign relay cause car to die?

Last week, my car wouldnt start out of the blue. I had gotten home from work and everything was ok. A few hours later I was going to go out and the car wouldnt start. It would turn over and but just wouldnt start. Took the battery to get checked and it was ok, I then removed the ignition relay and put the #1 fan relay in its place. Boom, it started perfectly. So I go to autozone and buy a generic duralast relay part # 19307. I plug it in, and it starts ok. I let it warm up a bit and then the car sits over the weekend.

Come today (Monday), I drive the car to work (15 miles). I hear the exhaust kinda backfires a little more than usual like if its not running properly, but I keep going till I get to work. Then after work, I hop on and within a few minutes, waiting for the light, it starts to sputter/misfire and it shuts off on me. I turn the key and same issue, it turns over constantly, but wouldnt start. So i push it to the side (luckily I was next to a gas station).

So this time I switch the new ignition relay with the #1 fan relay, and still no start. I completely remove new generic relay (now on #1 fan spot), and it starts. Im able to drive back home but the car feels a little sluggish. Kinda like a slipping clutch. But nonetheless it makes it home.

So now I go back to try and recreate the issue, and the car starts with the generic ignition relay, however it does sound like its misfiring. I always have check engine light on due to the air and egr delete, so I plug it in and the only relatable codes are P0300 (misifire) and P0480 (cooling fan 1 malfunction). I guess the fan one is because I removed the fan relay temporarily to drive home.

So my question, will a bad ignition relay affect a car that is already turned on? I always thought it would make the car not start, but didnt think it would also stall once on.

Second question, will the bad ignition relay affect the cars performance?? I swear it felt sluggish with the new relay in place, but IDK if it was something else causing that.

And finally, will a ignition relay get weak before it dies, kinda like a fuel pump that starts showing signs? or is it like a light bulb, where it just completely dies and theres no turning it on at all. Im asking this because once I got home, the car started with the "faulty" relay.

Any info helps, Thanks
Old 06-05-2017, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

When my ignition relay was acting up, it didn't affect when it was running, only after being turned off.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wannafbody
When my ignition relay was acting up, it didn't affect when it was running, only after being turned off.
What symptoms did you get when it was acting up? Did it just die completely? or would it start sometimes and sometimes not?
Old 06-05-2017, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My car had several bad relays, cooling fan #3 was shot and would short my car out and die when the car went to high output both fans.

Ignition relay wouldn't cause the car to run rough, it sounds like it could be another problem causing a misfire. I would get a p0300 code after a random shutoff but never an actual misfire

Name:  20170405_164840_zpsluds3pm6.jpg
Views: 6399
Size:  197.6 KB

My fuse box pins on the relay were even corroded

Name:  20170405_150401_zps6yxfcem5.jpg
Views: 6198
Size:  147.9 KB
Old 06-05-2017, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
My car had several bad relays, cooling fan #3 was shot and would short my car out and die when the car went to high output both fans.

Ignition relay wouldn't cause the car to run rough, it sounds like it could be another problem causing a misfire. I would get a p0300 code after a random shutoff but never an actual misfire

My fuse box pins on the relay were even corroded
Well I did have my ac at full blast when it died. I just went outside and did a little testing. All the fuses were good. I tested the new ignition relay I bought, and the starter relay, along with the fan #1 relay (which is now in the ignition relays spot), and they all tested fine. They clicked when they were connected to a power source and didnt show resistance when set to 20K ohms, with the power supply. Now I wish I hadnt thrown out the old relay. It probably wasnt the problem.
I didnt know the fan relays could cause starting issues. Ill check the remaining 2 fan relays and the fuse box pins tomorrow.

As for the AC, when i replaced the relay with the fan one, I drove it back home with the AC on setting 2. Would it make a difference if it was speed setting 2 vs 4 (max)??
I found a fan relay diagram here https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-question.html but cant tell for sure.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Well I did have my ac at full blast when it died. I just went outside and did a little testing. All the fuses were good. I tested the new ignition relay I bought, and the starter relay, along with the fan #1 relay (which is now in the ignition relays spot), and they all tested fine. They clicked when they were connected to a power source and didnt show resistance when set to 20K ohms, with the power supply. Now I wish I hadnt thrown out the old relay. It probably wasnt the problem.
I didnt know the fan relays could cause starting issues. Ill check the remaining 2 fan relays and the fuse box pins tomorrow.

As for the AC, when i replaced the relay with the fan one, I drove it back home with the AC on setting 2. Would it make a difference if it was speed setting 2 vs 4 (max)??
I found a fan relay diagram here https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-question.html but cant tell for sure.
The 5 pin relay on the right is cooling fan relay #3. It is the only unique relay, the only one with 5 pins.

It is only used after the car reaches peak temperature and it kicks both fans into high output.

Like I said examine the pins inside the fuse box that the relays sit in for any damage.

The next thing to chase after the relays is to check your grand cables to the chassis. From the drivers side cylinder head, the ground strap behind the alternator, the ground on the radiator support behind the drivers headlight, the ground on the rad support by the rad cap, and the ground from the batter to the chassis by the shock tower. Inspect for rust and corrosion
Old 06-06-2017, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
The 5 pin relay on the right is cooling fan relay #3. It is the only unique relay, the only one with 5 pins.

It is only used after the car reaches peak temperature and it kicks both fans into high output.

Like I said examine the pins inside the fuse box that the relays sit in for any damage.

The next thing to chase after the relays is to check your grand cables to the chassis. From the drivers side cylinder head, the ground strap behind the alternator, the ground on the radiator support behind the drivers headlight, the ground on the rad support by the rad cap, and the ground from the batter to the chassis by the shock tower. Inspect for rust and corrosion
Thats good to know. Im sure I didnt test it because I didnt see any 5 pin relay. I only checked fan #1 relay and starter and ignition. Im guessing testing the 5 pin relay would be the same. Put power between pin 85 and 86, and make sure theres no resistance between the other three pins?
I had checked the ground cables not too long ago, but ill also recheck them if the relays dont solve anything.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Never tested mine, you could just see the corrosion all over the pins and in the socket.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Could a bad ign relay cause a car to die? I'm not 100% familiar with the ign circuits in the car, but I would say yes.

A relay is nothing more than an electronically controlled switch. If you turn off a relay it is the same as turning the key off in the cylinder.

However, most relays don't show intermittent issues. Some will stick, some will fail outright due to poor contact. My guess if you're having an intermittent issues is corrosion on the pins, the internal contacts of the relay itself, and possible poor grounds.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Is there anything I can use to clean up the fuse box sockets? I heard spraying wd40 helps prevent corrosion on battery terminals, but i dont just want to spray stuff into the fuse box.

As for the misfire im going to buy a scanner that tells me which cylinder is misfiring. My current OBD2 scanner wont tell me that info. I guess ill be doing my plugs and wires sooner than I planned.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I typically recommend a wire brush or sandpaper (320 grit works well). WD40 will help as a corrosion inhibitor, but it won't get rid of the corrosion that's already there.

Spraying water or wd40 into the fusebox generally won't hurt anything. Both are actually poor conductors of electricity, so over the large distances between pins it won't really short circuit. That being said, I wouldn't think it's worth it. We're talking about corrosion that's built up for the past 15+ years. Unlikely to happen again in the car's life lol.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

My bad ingnition relay caused a non start issue, after several attempts it would start and then after turning the car off, it might or might not start. It was a crapshoot. I used dielectric grease on the prongs of the new relay.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

I used battery cleaner spray, some q tips, and then brake cleaner to clean out the pins in the fuse box.

You can use dialectric grease as mentioned

Why do these cars have relay problems, the fuse boxes are not water tight. The lids suck
Old 06-06-2017, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Well i took a look at fan#3 relay and no corossion. I doubt this os whats causing the issue but ill still try to test it with a multimeter later.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

To test that 5 pin relay, with the relay not energized, you should have continuity between pins 30 and 87a (normally closed) and no continuity between 30 and 87 (normally open).
When pins 85 and 86 have power and ground (relay energized), you should have continuity between pins 30 and 87, and pins 30 and 87a should now be open.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't wana throw you off track, but I dealt with similar issue on my old v6. Few times it happened , it was cam & crank sensors.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
I don't wana throw you off track, but I dealt with similar issue on my old v6. Few times it happened , it was cam & crank sensors.
Im open to suggestions. I kinda feel like the relays arent the main issue anymore. However im confused as to why the car started perfectly when i switched it with the fan relay ??

Ill look into the crank and cam sensor. Is there anyway to test them to narrow the issue down? and are they difficult to replace?
Old 06-07-2017, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

The cam sensor is behind the intake manifold, the crank sensor is behind the starter on the passenger side of the block. Crank sensor would be pretty easy (just drop started, unbolt crank sensor and replace) but cam sensor would require removal of the intake manifold (unless you're really good with a mirror)
Old 06-07-2017, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Is there anyway to narrow it down to the crank or cam sensor being the issue? I want to avoid spending 40+ bucks on a sensor only for it not to work. Ive only seen someone test it with a crank reluctor wheel, but I dont have that available.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

also, wouldnt a Crank position sensor throw out a check engine code?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can a bad Ign relay cause car to die?