Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ebay Header Questions-looking for recent purchase results

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 02:12 PM
formerly 04 Rooster (2013-12-10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ebay Header Questions-looking for recent purchase results

I have searched and can't find a more recent thread than about 4 years ago. I just bought a 2000 Trans Am and want to put headers on it. There are some really cheap headers on ebay...like $130 cheap. Has anyone recently purchased and installed a set of these? I can see from a few years back the results were hit and miss on the ebay headers. Right now, I'm considering these real cheap headers or a set from speed engineering.
I know "you get what you pay for" (or at least I know some of you want to reply with that) but if i can get headers this cheap, I'd be really happy.

One thing that stands out on the ebay cheap headers, is the O2 bungs seem to be on the outside of the header versus the inside where i believe the good headers have them...any comments on this?
Old 06-06-2017, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Material quality and flange thickness/straightness seem to be the biggest issue with eBay headers. A friend of mine purchased a set off eBay a few months ago for his 04 Sierra to save a little bit of money over the Speed Engineering headers. Got them in, we put them in the truck and had fitment issues on both sides with primaries hitting the frame, primaries hitting the steering shaft and just a poor over-all fitment. We managed to massage all the areas that hit with a hammer and re-installed them only to find out that the flanges were so badly warped that they wouldn't seal with factory MLS gaskets, the thicker graphite/metal looking dimple gaskets or a combo of either of those gaskets paired with copper sealant. So, he ended up spending the money on the Speed Engineering headers anyway after a weekend of headaches with the eBay headers. I still won't let him live down his idea of "saving" money by buying the eBay headers over the SE ones from the first go around. Save yourself the trouble, and money, and get Speed Engineering headers if you want something thats going to fit, function, and not have to purchase twice.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd stay away from that eBay stuff and do something that's proven like the Speed Engineering ones
Old 06-06-2017, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are thin and noisy, most likely smaller diameter than advertised. I went this route and was unhappy from the start. Switched to SE 1 7/8 and I couldn't be happier.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very happy with my SE. I also had pace setters that were pretty reasonable from a sponsor. Liked them a lot also. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the SE headers very happy.

Quick Reply: Ebay Header Questions-looking for recent purchase results