Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls6 valley & catch can, still huffing oil into the intake!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ls6 valley & catch can, still huffing oil into the intake!

Can someone point a brother in the next direction?

Just installed a fast intake and saw oily head runners, again.
This is only after about 1500miles after updating to a new ls6 valley cover, newer valve covers with the drivers side plugged and pass side only with the TB vent. Plus a norris catch can that gets a few milliliters every 1k miles I am still getting lots of oil pulled through the intake under wot.

Seems everyone else is not having this issue after all the work done like i have.
Also only gets M1 0w-40.

Been doing some research about running a metco/cfm oil cap breather but getting mixed results, either got to delete all the pcv system and run breathers or stay closed pcv system. Can i just add a breather with a check valve that will allow an exit during high pressure?
I do track the car so it sees high rpms and wot for long durations, id really like to stop the oil consumption! Sucks having a fast car that smokes like a diesel

Here are pics of the current setup:
Attached Thumbnails Ls6 valley & catch can, still huffing oil into the intake!-img_5645.jpg   Ls6 valley & catch can, still huffing oil into the intake!-img_5646.jpg  
Old 06-27-2017, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cool breeze
Can someone point a brother in the next direction?

Just installed a fast intake and saw oily head runners, again.
This is only after about 1500miles after updating to a new ls6 valley cover, newer valve covers with the drivers side plugged and pass side only with the TB vent. Plus a norris catch can that gets a few milliliters every 1k miles I am still getting lots of oil pulled through the intake under wot.

Seems everyone else is not having this issue after all the work done like i have.
Also only gets M1 0w-40.

Been doing some research about running a metco/cfm oil cap breather but getting mixed results, either got to delete all the pcv system and run breathers or stay closed pcv system. Can i just add a breather with a check valve that will allow an exit during high pressure?
Yes, you can run a breather with a one way (out) check valve in addition to what you currently have.
If you want to keep the PCV system then the fix for you will either be run an additional catch can for the clean line (line from valve cover to throttle body) or put a one-way check valve on the clean line (allowing air from the throttle body to the valve cover but not back out) and then run a breather with a one way check valve out so any pressure build up that would normally push up through the clean line would now be vented out, but not allow air back in.

I do track the car so it sees high rpms and wot for long durations, id really like to stop the oil consumption! Sucks having a fast car that smokes like a diesel

Here are pics of the current setup:[/QUOTE]
Old 06-28-2017, 02:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

valve stem seals are probably shot
Old 06-28-2017, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies, i am going to do valve stem seals this weekend. It needs to be done anyway before buying a breather i may not need.
thanks!
Old 06-28-2017, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your lines are backwards according to my eyeball test, but double check the manufacturers instructions on the catch can
Old 06-28-2017, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

after my valley and catch can install I would say it reduced visible oil in the intake by 98%.....your results may vary
Old 06-28-2017, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
valve stem seals are probably shot

I agree.

My 99TA at WOT was beyond smoking and more like a death fog generator for any mosquito in the same zip code. 99 percent of the problem was bad valve seals. The car guzzled about one quart of oil every 1,200 to 1,500 miles and much faster with any high rpm.

After valve stem seals oil consumption dropped to about half a quart every after 4,000 miles. At WOT there is a very slight trace of smoke at 6,000+ rpm. It's amazing how much new valve stem seals did toward reducing and almost eliminating my cars smoke issue.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
I agree.
My 99TA at WOT was beyond smoking and more like a death fog generator for any mosquito in the same zip code.
You DO have quite the way with words.... Couldn't have come up with a more illustrative description myself! Got some chuckles outta me, for sure!
Old 06-28-2017, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Your lines are backwards according to my eyeball test, but double check the manufacturers instructions on the catch can
Catch can inlet is on top coming from the valley cover.
Exit is on side going to intake.
Isn't this correct?

LOL @ 99blk bird. I will report back after i do the seals. thanks!
Old 06-29-2017, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn't this correct?

Yeah, I would think the higher port would be the outlet though
Old 06-29-2017, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Isn't this correct?

That's correct. Top is inlet.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very annoying problem. I have 99 engine with no valleycover breather. I have tried couple of catchcan setups made by myself but nothing really helps from 100% oilproof. Now i breath after catchcan staight to athmosphere. Problem solved I think the real problem is in diameter of ventilation tubes. Small diameter flows too fast and the "atomized" oil flows with it. I have done many european four bangers engines without this problem. They have breather tube size +1 inch or so and the speed of flow is minimal.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

UPDATE:
Well as we all learn with experience, i didn't use thread sealant on the rocker bolts when i put ported heads on. Sealed up and no more smoke. YES!

Quick Reply: Ls6 valley & catch can, still huffing oil into the intake!