Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know I know... but mine is different. Please advise.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I know I know... but mine is different. Please advise.

So here is my catch can set up. Its different because my valve covers do not have the same ports as some. Also the diagrams are for 2 cans or 1 with 2 outlets or whatever or no LS2 valley cover as mine has.

LS2 engine
Fast 102 setup N/A
LS2 Valley cover
Attached Thumbnails I know I know... but mine is different. Please advise.-catchme.png  

Last edited by ssdungeon; 07-04-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: More pics
Old 07-12-2017, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Setup seems okay to me but I wouldnt use that hose. I used a hose like that once when I didn't know better. Not only is it not oil resistant, it will get very soft when hot and it was actually sucking flat and not flowing at all. It blew my mind. Check the strength of the hoses after the car is warm and youve driven around a bit.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:42 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

That is a cheap ebay/amazon kit thats why. It doesnt even work good as water hose.

The catch can routing normally goes from driver valve cover to catch can and from catch can to pass side of intake then pass valve cover to elbow on tb or in intake tract before tb but after maf. that's with no vented valley cover

With vented valley cover youd go from valley cover to catch can to pass side of intake then pass valve cover can T into driver valve cover and again go to intake tract or tb elbow if it has one.

If dual catch can, keep valley cover on 1 curcuit and valce covers on other and they will be routed aa above.
If dual in single out....it wont work right. You need a pressure differential and clean air/dirty air side. you can bring both valve covers together and into catch can then out to elbow on tb or in intake tract with reg hose from vented valley to pass side of intake.

Clearly (pun intended) this is why you should not buy everything cheap off ebay or amazon just because it looks close to what a catch can is or does.

The ones with purple silicone hose are worse though.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
That is a cheap ebay/amazon kit thats why. It doesnt even work good as water hose.

The catch can routing normally goes from driver valve cover to catch can and from catch can to pass side of intake then pass valve cover to elbow on tb or in intake tract before tb but after maf. that's with no vented valley cover

With vented valley cover youd go from valley cover to catch can to pass side of intake then pass valve cover can T into driver valve cover and again go to intake tract or tb elbow if it has one.

If dual catch can, keep valley cover on 1 curcuit and valce covers on other and they will be routed aa above.
If dual in single out....it wont work right. You need a pressure differential and clean air/dirty air side. you can bring both valve covers together and into catch can then out to elbow on tb or in intake tract with reg hose from vented valley to pass side of intake.

Clearly (pun intended) this is why you should not buy everything cheap off ebay or amazon just because it looks close to what a catch can is or does.

the can is the eBay can but it's fully modified.
check valve, breather, and baffle... one tube going all the way down to a separated oil sink. I just used the can shell to make a decent catch can. Some people used PVC piping I chose this can.

Thanks... you guys really explained the scenarios.

So basically the only thing I need to do is add a T and connect both valley covers together?

I just want to say I really appreciate the info.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:42 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Use better hose. That sounds really wrong...but its right. You need better hose.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store

I didnt know the hose wasnt oil resistant. Its not what came with the can. I got that from the hardware store. Its a lot thicker than what came with that can. Ill swap that out for sure.

To the routing you said:

So should I add a T-connection to join the valley covers and send it from the actual valley cover to the catch can?
one hose from the valley cover to the catch can?
This is where its grey to me........
Then a second T between the valley covers to the Throttle body?
In doing this what happens to the port on the port on the intake?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently I have a short hose from the valley cover to the throttle body.
one hose from the valley cover to the dirty side of the catch can
one hose from the clean side of the catch can to the intake.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-17-2017, 01:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

How many ports do you have on your catch can?

Quick Reply: I know I know... but mine is different. Please advise.