Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything quieter than stock muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't shave your vagina hair, don't you know the bush is cumming back. For real tho, I wouldn't worry about anyone else. If you like the sound of your car *** um!!!
Old 07-17-2017, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Adding high flow cats will help more than a muffler change.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try to search for an SLP dual dual muffler , it was quiet yet high performance. unless you put a banana in your tailpipe i've never heard of quieter than stock. (beverly hills cop).
Old 07-18-2017, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
Don't shave your vagina hair, don't you know the bush is cumming back. For real tho, I wouldn't worry about anyone else. If you like the sound of your car *** um!!!
That's what I'm saying.

Two things -

1 - You do not have a crazy setup, I don't think you should really be worrying about it.

2 - If you want it quiet you've got two options - put cats on it or but bullet style muffler/resonators in the y pipe where cats would go as has been suggested to you. A pair of these quieted down my big block to much more acceptable levels. It was down right fng obnoxious beforehand.

Amazon Amazon

I like vagina hair BTW. Really, my point is the same as everyone else's as far as a new muffler goes. You've got the quietest one that you are going to get. How can you make it quieter? You can't. Except with V hair.

Settle down home skillet, it's all in good fun.
The following users liked this post:
bobcat52 (12-10-2019)
Old 07-18-2017, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

The old SLP Dual/Dual catback is quieter than stock at idle or at least mine was when it was new. It's probably still that way. My SLP Dual/Dual is still very quiet with heads and cam and has like 150,000+ miles on it. However, if you spin some 3500+ rpm it makes some noise and is pretty loud at 6,000+ rpm
Old 07-19-2017, 02:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a way to make the exhaust quieter and not loose power, well you would gain power, but it would be a lot of work.
Fit a twin turbo. I've seen some around here, quiet as a mouse.

Or if it was me, I'd pop in the high flow cats, they really do deaden down the sound, and dont lose much in the way of performance.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Ive got a neighbor that recomended an exhasut shop for me. Lots of people think my cars too loud. Again, as long as u drive like a civil person who gives a ****. Dont let your neighbors ruin ur hobby.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell it, you are not worthy of Bowtie ownership.

Chad
Old 07-19-2017, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

OP bailed after vagina hair came into the equation. Or maybe he really did put a V6 muffler stuffed full of V hair in it and is happy with the result.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just like to stay under the radar as much as possible
....believe it or not the local authorities don't really believe in letting you run catless

Mind my own business don't need a excuse to get pulled over than. .. they find multiple other infractions
What would be a quality replacement system that I could add a bullet muffler too??
Old 07-19-2017, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Kook's has "green cat" technology and at PRI were saying that their "green cats" were good for up to 900 hp and even added a hp or two over LT's with no cats. If one wants cats Kook's green cats are probably a step above every other cat currently on the market. They claim these cats are so trick the rear O2's will function normally with their LT headers. They might be worth talking too if cats are being considered.

On the flip side...

It's possible to fly under the radar of the LEO's with heads & cam, long tube headers, no cats & an open cut out - if the driver is very careful and easy with the right foot. I've seen someone do it. LEO pulled him over at least a dozen times, once twice in the same day. He's got tickets for speeding, running red light, turn signal out, head light out, failure to signal, failure to dim head lights, expired tag 4x and probably a ticket for general hoonigan idiocy but never one ticket or one word about no cats or a loud exhaust. All in a state that does emissions testing.

As for me, I will keep the quieter than stock SLP Dual / Dual and fly under the radar. I can open the cut out when I want to make noise.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by im-not-guilty
I just like to stay under the radar as much as possible
....believe it or not the local authorities don't really believe in letting you run catless

Mind my own business don't need a excuse to get pulled over than. .. they find multiple other infractions
What would be a quality replacement system that I could add a bullet muffler too??
Have you actually been pulled over and the cop gave u a hard time about noise level? If not then cross that bridge wen u get there. If u like the sound of it, just let it go. U started the thread because u were concerned about neighbors opinions. Now ur tune is changing to being concerned about cops as well. Ur goona spend over 300 to get cats installed and probabaly 200 plus for an extra muffler. An exhaust ticket is less than that, if u actually were to get one. In my opinion the logic isnt there.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

A fresh stock replacement muffler from Walker or other plain old replacements will be quieter. Yours is old. I can't think of anything quieter.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:14 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I was just going to say walker. They make an affordable, looks like OEM replacement unit. I am going to try one pretty soon myself.

Another thing is... a turbocharger acts somewhat like a muffler

I will try 1 walker 3" after a single turbo, and if still too loud, add another in series. In this business of sleeper tech you can't worry about power when it comes to noise. That is what the cutout is for, once the real race begins, you 'cut out' the muffler from the equation, so any number of mufflers is acceptable.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why are you against using high-flow cats? You will not notice any performance loss and will quiet to down. I was in the same position as you, and I had ARH 1-3/4" x 3" Longtubes with their Catless Y-pipe that went into a 3" Corsa Sport catback, and on cold start I would wake the dead.

I switched over to a high flow Catted Y-pipe and it made a huge difference in sound, as well as got rid of that raw fuel smell, and did not notice any performance loss at all.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

And the exhaust won't stink with cats
Old 06-24-2019, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wannafbody
And the exhaust won't stink with cats
I know this thread is older, but I am trying to add high flow cats to my longtubes and cannot get any shops to do the work. I hear everything from fitment issues to they wont work unless they are right at the collectors and then say they wont fit there. Some say I will have to have the car re tuned afterwards. Has anyone tried putting a duel in duel out cat in place of there x-pipe or even a duel in duel out muffler in place of the x-pipe. Magnaflow has one as that's what I use after my axle now.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

What long tube headers? TSP catted y pipe might fit.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:18 PM
Teching In

I don't know the brand, they were on the car when I bought it. They do have flanges, one shop said cutting the headers back may allow for the the cats to fit.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Quick Reply: Anything quieter than stock muffler