Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tps problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default tps problem?

so i got my intake, throttle body and converter in yesterday and tuned, we made some WOT passes and my tuner said there is a TPS problem and the sensor could be good and it might be a ground? now guys sorry to bother you but when it comes to mechanical things theres nothing i cant do but electrical is my weak side so what would you guys try before replace the TPS I pulled it off my old TB and put it in my new one and now its acting up is there a way to set it up to my new TB or somthing?
Old 08-12-2017, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to set the idle voltage to between 0.47 to 0.53 volts. With an aftermarket TB you will most likely need to cut off the locating tab on the TPS and elongate the screw holes so you can clock the TPS. With the throttle resting on the stop and ignition on, use a multimeter and back probe the blue wire and black wire on the connector. Move the TPS clockwise or anticlockwise until the correct voltage is achieved. Then tighten down the screws and recheck as sometimes it can move a little when tightened. Once its set properly, turn the key off and unplug the TPS. Key on for 30 seconds and then turn back off and plug the connector back in. This will reset the zero on the TPS. Other than this, theres no other changes that can be made. If the PCM doesn't see the correct voltage it won't reset to 0% ever and it won't go into idle cells. also check the WOT voltage which should be no more than 4.79 volts if i recall.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just for reference, if i fit a TPS to my aftermarket TB without doing this, the locating tab fits in just fine but the voltage at idle is 0.19 volts and the car will not idle nicely and drives like crap as well so I'm guessing this could well be similar in your case.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Who did you end going to for the tune?
Old 08-13-2017, 01:41 AM
TECH Regular

bought a new tps and seemed to solve the problem 👍
Old 08-13-2017, 01:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Who did you end going to for the tune?
ended up getting in touch with this guy named matt he drove out to me and tuned my car things runs damn good and he was vary professtional and we drove the car around for about a half hour making w.o.t passes and dialing everything in i would recommend him to anyone in michigan needing a tune it was 400 for the first tune and will be 120 for any future tunes i need the reason for the price bump was because he showed up on time and i held him up so ended up costing an additional 50$
Old 08-13-2017, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg725
ended up getting in touch with this guy named matt he drove out to me and tuned my car things runs damn good and he was vary professtional and we drove the car around for about a half hour making w.o.t passes and dialing everything in i would recommend him to anyone in michigan needing a tune it was 400 for the first tune and will be 120 for any future tunes i need the reason for the price bump was because he showed up on time and i held him up so ended up costing an additional 50$
Good deal. Does he tune for a speed shop or just independantly?
Old 08-13-2017, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Good deal. Does he tune for a speed shop or just independantly?
hes independent

Quick Reply: tps problem?