LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   Question about custom made Underdrive Pulley with pictures (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/188046-question-about-custom-made-underdrive-pulley-pictures.html)

PurdueWS6 06-30-2004 01:11 PM

Question about custom made Underdrive Pulley with pictures

4 Attachment(s)
While pulling out my engine from the car, my cousin saw the ASP underdrive Pulley I had, and told me if the LS1 was internally or externally balanced, so I told him it was internally balanced, so he said he will take my underdrive pulley and try to make the same out of aluminum in his workshop. So they made one exactly the same and it was balanced and zeroed i guess on the lathe machine. Now would this work if I used it on an LS1 or not ? What makes us worry is the ASP Pulley has 3 small holes that look like they are there for balancing(not the bolt holes). The custom one is also lighter. Just wanted to ask if anyone has tried something like this or I should not even be thinking about this as it might not be balanced right. My cousin made many of these for LT1s and small block 350s and they work great. What do you guys think ?

Mahmood

a98ws6 06-30-2004 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by PurdueWS6
While pulling out my engine from the car, my cousin saw the ASP underdrive Pulley I had, and told me if the LS1 was internally or externally balanced, so I told him it was internally balanced, so he said he will take my underdrive pulley and try to make the same out of aluminum in his workshop. So they made one exactly the same and it was balanced and zeroed i guess on the lathe machine. Now would this work if I used it on an LS1 or not ? What makes us worry is the ASP Pulley has 3 small holes that look like they are there for balancing(not the bolt holes). The custom one is also lighter. Just wanted to ask if anyone has tried something like this or I should not even be thinking about this as it might not be balanced right. My cousin made many of these for LT1s and small block 350s and they work great. What do you guys think ?

Mahmood

Try it out and let us know :)

HumpinSS 06-30-2004 01:35 PM

if you install it and you start getting mysterious knock retard you will have to go back to the ASP pulley

Z28Venom 06-30-2004 02:08 PM

The only way to tell is to just give it a shot..

Man, your cousin does some good work ... :usa:

BADFNZ 06-30-2004 02:12 PM

SLP had knock issues with their aluminum pulley but throw it on there and try it out.

CaptUSA 06-30-2004 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
The only way to tell is to just give it a shot..

Man, your cousin does some good work ... :usa:

What I was going to say. :usa:

mooleyz28 06-30-2004 02:43 PM

Good work... Ill try one out for you if you want. Send me one in the mail and Ill be your beta tester. Let me know if u need a tester.

Mooley

Krab 06-30-2004 05:11 PM

Damn, that looks nice. It looks like a bling item to me. :cool: Let us know if it gives you any knock.

Benjamin Russick 06-30-2004 05:20 PM

That's a great looking pulley! If it works, let me know! Ben

PurdueWS6 06-30-2004 05:48 PM

I wouldnt mind having someone testing it out if they agree that im not responsible if something goes wrong! Also, im not in the US anymore so whoever wants to try it would have to pay for shipping it from the middle east to the US. I could probably find some company that will ship it for a good price. Let me know if anyone wants to try it out.

And thanks for the compliments guys, my cousin has a pretty big workshop and they work on caterpillars, cranes, big trucks so pretty much anything they need can be fabricated right away!

Mahmood

Danny2tek 06-30-2004 06:26 PM

Your cousin does great work! :cool:

BADFNZ 06-30-2004 06:56 PM

Is that one piece of aluminum? I know the ASP pulley uses a two-piece design, which kind of screwed them over a couple years back when the rings were flying off and imbedding themselves in radiators.

PurdueWS6 06-30-2004 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by LS1BlackZ28
Is that one piece of aluminum? I know the ASP pulley uses a two-piece design, which kind of screwed them over a couple years back when the rings were flying off and imbedding themselves in radiators.

yes its a 1 piece aluminum as compared to the 2 piece ASP and if you look closely you will see the ASP pulley has the 2 rings welded at 4 places to keep the 2 rings together i guess and not getting lose or something. Also i think the ASP has 1 ring thats steel and the other is aluminum.

Mahmood

2xLS1 06-30-2004 07:49 PM

They are harmonic dampeners, not just pulleys. I wouldn't run that on my car.

http://www.machv.com/tip11cranpul.html

Cheatin' Chad 06-30-2004 08:14 PM

Harmonic DAMPER. It is not making anything wet or moist :)

You're right though. They are there to help quell crankshaft harmonics.

This could prove potentially harmful.

I'm tempted to give it a shot though :) .

I'll tell you now I doubt this will be effective as anything more than a pulley. I do not think it will adequetely control harmonics. Lack of mass and nothing there to counteract harmonics. Usually there is an elastomer strip separating an inner hub and outer ring or a type of fluid.

2xLS1 06-30-2004 08:38 PM

damp·en (d˛m“p…n) v. damp·ened, damp·en·ing, damp·ens. --tr. 1. To make damp. 2. To deaden, restrain, or depress: “trade moves . . . aimed at dampening protectionist pressures in Congress” (Christian Science Monitor). 3. To soundproof. --intr. To become damp. --damp“en·er n.

Either one is appropriate. :cheers:

Cheatin' Chad 06-30-2004 08:55 PM

What do ya' know? Turns out both words mean the same thing. Thanks for the look-up :)

Ryan K 07-01-2004 03:43 AM

Also, it would need to be sleaved or the likely hood of spinning on the crank are greatly increased.

Ryan

PurdueWS6 07-01-2004 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan Karasek
Also, it would need to be sleaved or the likely hood of spinning on the crank are greatly increased.

Ryan

It is sleeved.

2XLS1- I thought the LS1 was internally balanced so it shouldnt make a difference or would it ? Also from what I understand the inner hub of the ASP is aluminum because its lighter whereas the outer ring is steel because aluminum will eventually eat up the belt whereas steel wont and maybe thats why they have steel on the outside. Correct me if im wrong please.

Mahmood.

Bad30th 07-01-2004 09:28 AM

Those look great - if you can resolve the crank harmonic issue you'll be golden.

BTW, your cousin does some nice work - those look great ! Have him make us up some valve covers, LOL !

Bad30th