Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radical Radiator Relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Radical Radiator Relocation?

(Build pics start on post #30)

Hey guys, I wanted to free up some room in front of my engine and wanted to move the radiator around. I also plan to do a front breather conversion along with a front spoiler so I had a few ideas for the new radiator location.

Here's the stock location and air flow:

Here are my 2 other ideas:

What do you guys see as the pros and cons of each?

With the air flowing up I thought about making a heat extractor in the stock smooth hood. Sort of like this:

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-30-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

With this one:

it looks like the puller fans wil see a lot of water splashed on them which can't be good. I could probably install some splash shields like the alternator has. I could swap over to pusher fans on the top but then the AC condensor would be subject to damage from rocks bouncing down the road. I could probably install a large louvered piece of metal along the bottom to protect it while still allowing the air to flow out.

This one:

seems much more practical as I could use the stock fans, water would not be a problem and rocks would have a harder time as they would have to go through the front openings. Even then I could install some grills. I wonder if the hot air going up would have any negative effects? I could modify the stock hood to let the air out. That might look cool.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Why? what is the reason behind doing this?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by transam69230
Why? what is the reason behind doing this?
I just feel like it.

How often do you open the hood of an F-body and see a bunch of open space in front of the engine? Pretty much never, so this would be a neat custom mod.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Option 2 (air flows over the top of the rad and out the bottom) just wont work. Take off your bumper and youll see why. For the first option I would think youd need a custom radiator thats widder and shorter. (again take off the bumper and youll see why. The gains youll see wont be worth the time and effort as its only a street car. If I was in your shoes I would just leave it a bottom breather and place some kind of vent directly behind the radiator on the hood.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Option 2 (air flows over the top of the rad and out the bottom) just wont work. Take off your bumper and youll see why. For the first option I would think youd need a custom radiator thats widder and shorter. (again take off the bumper and youll see why. The gains youll see wont be worth the time and effort as its only a street car. If I was in your shoes I would just leave it a bottom breather and place some kind of vent directly behind the radiator on the hood.
My front spoiler is going to block all the air going under the car, so that's the reason for the front breather conversion.

The only gains I want are to be different and to have more space in front of the engine. I don't need any cooling gains.

I've already looked behind the bumper cover, both ways should work just fine. What is it that makes you think they won't?

The stock radiator will also fit in both locations, but if I wanted to, Griffin makes a nice all aluminum 2 core radiator that is 4 inches shorter and 5 inches narrower for $200. I don't think I would need it, but it is an option.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shouldnt you be like banging your hot gf...instead of coming up with crazy ideas like this?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Where's the option to mount the radiator vertical?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

There are plenty of threads already for a vertical mount.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...99#post7178499

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-30-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I've already looked behind the bumper cover, both ways should work just fine. What is it that makes you think they won't?

The stock radiator will also fit in both locations, but if I wanted to, Griffin makes a nice all aluminum 2 core radiator that is 4 inches shorter and 5 inches narrower for $200. I don't think I would need it, but it is an option.
Im thinking becuase the front bumpers arent that tall and to get it to fit you would really have to lay the radiator down. (cant really think of a way to put it into words) Also your into handling, and I cant see putting more weight forward of the front good for handling. (not more weight overall, but placing it further forward of the front axle)
Old 06-06-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

It doesn't weigh much at all, besides your not going to feel any difference at all in the weight distribution. In fact, lowering the radiator would lower the cars center of gravity and make it lean less in turns, but it weighs so little, you won't notice that either.

I was thinking about just exaggerating the stock location by sliding the bottom forward and leaning the top back. The only problem with this location is that the stock rad is a bit wider than the frame at the driverside hose. I might need to go to the smaller rad for this location.

If I lay it down real low I can have all the air transfer take place in the nose and almost make it look like the car has no radiator.

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-16-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by staringback05
shouldnt you be like banging your hot gf...instead of coming up with crazy ideas like this?

What he said.... and forget this one. Leave it stock.

I saw another post from someone else about this... where he went over to a mesh grille setup... I didn't like it at all.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm bringing this one back up.

I'm tearing the front of the car off right now. I'd like to get both the rad and cond. forward of the core support.

I'd like to mount them like this:

I'm also going to be getting an E-1 bumper. Looks like the pic below.:

I'm looking into adding heat extractors to my Raptor hood as well.

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-10-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Teching In

who's car is that in the first post? the black road racer, do you have any more pics or info on that one?
Old 04-10-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

POst up pics of the new bumper too I would like to see this all done
Old 04-10-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

that's a cool bumper...
Old 04-10-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 56linc
who's car is that in the first post? the black road racer, do you have any more pics or info on that one?
It was a car from a European racing group called a Powertour Camaro. They used older 350 chevys and carbs to Keep down costs.
There's also a similar race group called the Camaro Cup.
http://www.camarocup.com/

Here's a thread I made 4 years ago.
http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=2551
Old 04-10-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 95GreenZ28
POst up pics of the new bumper too I would like to see this all done
That can be a long wait. I'm still messing with the hood after 4 years! I might try to relocate the rad now and use the stock bumper with the plate cut out for air. I'll get the E-1 bumper at a later time.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

from today:

Old 04-10-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

How about we skip this topic all together and you pm all posters "uncensored" pics of your G/F ?? Don't get bent out of shape bro, she's smoking. What? Don't anyone say you weren't thinking the same thing!! LOL.....

On a serious note, its cool that you have some creative ideas, but not to sure how well they will work. Seems like the radiator was installed the way it was for a reason. JMHO

Quick Reply: Radical Radiator Relocation?