Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerbond 25% crank pulley review and track results

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerbond 25% crank pulley review and track results

I am going to write up all the mods I have done to my ls1 and review them, I’ll have this little disclaimer before each of the reviews and results, skip if you have read my past review disclaimers

i have an ls1 swapped 82 Vette, lightened a lot of it (as it sits now with a full tank of fuel it is at 2900lbs.
mods, Howard’s asa cam, home ported 241 heads, shorties with no cats, 2.25”duels, pod filter right on the throttle

e body (with fresh air duct), 2.87 rear end, mickey thompson 255/60/15 tyres, stock converter

i own a modern Gtech pro (50hz as opposed to most 10hz), and also have 1 mile of tarmac on my property. So I measure my 1/4 mile sometimes 20 times a day.

Here is is a baseline of my results (doesn’t include the times of the mods I will be reviewing and measuring) (I’ll try convert some to imperial, I’m an Aussie so we do metric, and times differ very slightly between the 2, my 1/8th mile is measured from 200m, so might be .05 difference in some spots
60’ 1.98
100kph 4.03
1/8 7.8@95mph
1/4 11.97@118mph

this is the average, some results I have that are slightly better, but I have the advantage with my Vette having such a low gear ratio that I dead hook on launches, so all the 100’s of results and runs I have made (all on “the street”, my asphalt is only as good as standard roads) are all within 0.05secs. I try do all my runs at the same temp and also no tail winds etc. I will be installing a 3200 stall very last on my car, as I think the wheelspin would make it much harder to get consistent results on the street, and I’m just as keen to see the real world results of the msd leads, fast 90 intake, 90 throttle body, powerbond 25% pulley, ported 243 heads, ram air and also the stall. All of which I will be installing in the very near future and will do one by one.

Powerbond pulley,
i bought this and another one (prospeed or something). The prospeed one isn’t underdriven on the aircon belt, and as a result weighs nearly 2lb more. So I opted for the powerbond

it weighs .3 of a kilo more than stock, which I kinda hoped it wouldn’t, but I suppose it’s weight is further towards the center so that should help,

you need a 6pk1915 serpentine belt for this (and I’m guessing other 25% underdriven pulleys), can’t remember the aircon belt. But I don’t have aircon anyway.

I tried to to press on with a longer crank bolt, it would not go, my giant breaker bar was about to snap at the pressure, so I took it back off (easier than stock, as those 3 bolt pullers don’t rely on “fingers gripping” and heated it with a butane torch, powerbond recommend it goes in the oven but I would prefer the torch as you can stay away from the rubber dampers in it.

Slid I’d straight to the back by hand. Tightened the crank bolt. Put all back on and had a little test (this was all about 20 minutes ago)

only did 2 0-100kph runs and will do some quarter miles tonight, and I was amazed. People have said its good for a tenth in the quarter, it was good for a tenth in the 1/16th mile. 0-100 at 3.9 and 3.92, that’s 0.14ish from 98% of my other passes. And had full fuel (which is 91litres, massive fuel tank) my power steering is much less noisy at low speeds (I have hydroboost too, so I’m guessing my power steering pump would be absorbing most the power) and no issues at all

my idle is at 800, due to the cam, so my idle is 30% more than stock anyway, alternator charges at the exact same level, power steering feels exactly the same actually (which I was prepared for it not to feel the same) and at very high rpms the power steering doesn’t leak out the top of the cap.

Should you you buy this? Well, only if you have higher rpm than stock. This made me much faster than I thought it would. You can feel it slightly in my car. But I have a very light car so I would feel it more than most you guys, I’m sure I can get my 0-100 times down on that too. And it will no doubt make me slightly more fuel efficient, mostly due to my borgeson steering and hydroboost always using pressure from the pump.

Il get back to you with more 1/4 times tonight, and also fuel efficiency, my Vette is a daily driver, and have done 1600 miles in it the past 2 weeks. On 2 long distance trips and was getting 24mpg consistently. Even when fibbing it a squirt at the destinations and mountain runs. Have another big trip to the same place in 3 weeks. So I’ll update you on efficiency soon
Old 09-29-2017, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Alright, update, I made sure I got a whole heap of runs to compare, maybe 10 different quarter miles, about 30 1/8 miles, pretty much all the 1/8 mile stats line up with the first half of the quarter mile, so I would say it’s consistent (have done these during night and day, few different roads but mostly on the same, and have gone both directions on the same road, think there is a very slight incline one way, I average them out obviously)

0-100kph, very consistent 3.83-3.93secs, have done one at 3.71, abut I don’t like to include one offs (as it might be a satellite not playing ball with my gtech),
I was very consistent at 4.02-4.06 before the install.

I might benefit from a better 0-100 more than others due to my hydroboost and steering combo, as I’m stalling the stock converter, brakes are hard down, so you can hear my power steering pump loading up the engine, it would now only be 25% less at that point, so maybe don’t expect your 0-60mph to go down as much as mine. Especially mine being lighter and mods having a bit more of an effect than most of your 3600lb vehicles

60’, about the same, but pretty much 0.05ish better than my previous average, would say that gain is from the top end, mine bogs down at launch

1/8, 1mph more .05sec off (why is my 0-100 0.1better but this only 0.05? I would say my rev limiter bounces 2-3times before changing gear, if it only bounces once (like some of my runs recorded before the install) then I would get a better time, I think my “original” or “control” 1/8 is one of those few rare faster runs.

And quarter mile,

11.91@119.8, 11.93@119.7, etc.
i think this sums it up, all were very close to that. Maybe some around 11.95, I would call that atleast 1mph, knocking on 2mph and 0.1 sec reduction

worth it? I think it is only if you reap the benefits of already having a higher idle, want less noise from the power steering, less cavitation of the water and power steering pumps at high rpm etc.
i wouldn’t have cared if it made a difference in the quarter as I wanted the above benefits anyway.

i paid $150usd for mine, so it’s not bad at all. You won’t feel the “added power”, or maybe you would very slightly at light throttle at 1000rpm while turning, about it really.

Hope me this helps someone in their purchase
Old 09-29-2017, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Nice write up, looking forward to hear more details as the mods progress.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Default Update

just wanted to update a little more, as there have been slight developments.

for the past few weeks I had been getting slower quarter miles and 0-60mph runs, about the 4.2 range 0-60 and about 12.3-12.1 1/4 miles, turns out my fuel filter was pretty rotten, could see 6psi lower on the fuel rails at idle, and I guess I had a bad batch of fuel in the past month or 2.

Some days I would get the very rare 0-60 in 3.6ish secs, and even 3.5. But then minutes later it would go back to 4.2 again (as one of my other posts was asking, I assumed it was under bonnet heat) but I think it was the solid chunks of dirt falling off the fuel filter and then re-seating after a few minutes

i have since backwashed the filter, still a little down on psi by one or 2psi, but runs much better (new fuel filter/regulator on the way now), but since I have done that and also changed to synthetic oil (had mineral for a few months just to flush out break in fluid), I have been getting consistent 0-62mph in 3.38-3.51 secs, and quarter miles from 11.5@119 - 11.7@118, it is hard to say how much of this gain is from the pulley (or even the oil), and perhaps the fuel filter/regulator (c5 style ones) had always had a percentage of dirt in it (mind you, it is only 8 months old, I will be putting a pre filter in it this time around).

i have had the ported 241 heads and asa cam in it since June with a tune, and Mickey Thompsons since about August, so that’s when the records of my mods started. Back in August I was doing the quarter in 12.2, I have noticed I have picked up only maybe 2mph since I’ve added the mickeys, tr6 spark plugs, msd leads, underdrive pulley, and synthetic oil, but I have cut my times down nearly .7 sec, which is the unbelievable part, obviously a lot of it is me learning how to launch, getting the right pressure in the tyres, right temperatures, and other variables, but I think the pulley has helped 2-3tenths honestly.

I am removing my heads today and putting in 62cc 243 heads, that will be ported and polished, as well as a thinner gasket to get me to 11.4cr, have results to you guys by the end of the month, then I have a fast intake and throttle body to install after that, then the 3000stall verter after that. So keep posted. Thanks
Old 11-07-2017, 09:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Thanks for the detailed write up and testing. Nice to see the controlled testing and solid results.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Very cool thread. I’m subscribed for future posts!
Old 11-08-2017, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

When you get the fuel all figured out you'll have to take the pulley off, test, then put it back on and test lol

Quick Reply: Powerbond 25% crank pulley review and track results