Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have the TSP 3.5" catback on their car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Crying shame really and I dont wanna hear about "all cars are different". That only goes so far. The system I have is impossible to make work with hacking
I hope you get this all sorted out. After all this BS it better be the best thing out there right lol? Did you get yours directly from TSP?
Old 02-09-2018, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I hope you get this all sorted out. After all this BS it better be the best thing out there right lol? Did you get yours directly from TSP?
Yes. I dont have a bone to pick with them either. Look at my other threads about their y pipe and you will see I give it great reviews but this 3.5" catback is going to need some fabrication to fit and it has nothing to do with the 3.5" pipe either
Old 02-09-2018, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes. I dont have a bone to pick with them either. Look at my other threads about their y pipe and you will see I give it great reviews but this 3.5" catback is going to need some fabrication to fit and it has nothing to do with the 3.5" pipe either
Yep I've heard great things about their headers and y-pipe for sure, but like you said this other stuff is unexceptable. If it were an occasional isolated incident that would be one thing, but this sounds like so much more than that
Old 02-09-2018, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like i should of bought that used borla off the classifieds now, was really hoping this 3in was a top notch catback. Any one else with install feedback?
Old 02-09-2018, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

So you cut off the over axle hanger that was welded to the over axle pipe? You made a new hanger?

Im sorry but this is unacceptable.
No no. Sorry I worded that kinda bad. I had to replace the hanger on my car. It was crushed and missing most of the actual hanger itself and I didn't know it. I replaced it and really that would have worked fine but I wanted the tips supported so I had an exhaust shop weld a couple pieces on to pick up the stock body side hangers.

So what I'm getting from this is the neither 3" or the 3.5" setup is a true direct bolt on like other setups for our cars. This is unfortunate since the idea behind it is really great. Most people simply won't want a system that needs to be tweaked or modified to fit when there are other options that bolt directly in
Crying shame really and I dont wanna hear about "all cars are different". That only goes so far. The system I have is impossible to make work with hacking
Let me start by saying my muffler and tip section physically fell off the car while I was driving it around the first time. But I think that was due to me not having the proper over the axle hanger piece which would have supported the weight of the exhaust. But I feel like they need to add the hanger pieces to the tailpipes so that they line up properly.

Otherwise the whole setup fit just fine. My current header and y setup make the intermediate pipe hang lower than I want it to so that's what I meant by having an exhaust shop refit everything.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the TSP 3.5 exhaust. I did have to order a 3" to 3.5" adapter to hook up to 3" y-pipe, but that wasn't a big deal. I had a muffler shop expand the 3" side a little to slip over the y-pipe. No issues with fitment on the rest of the system at all for me.
With headers, off-road Y, and this exhaust, it is way too loud for me. The drone at 1500 rpm is deafening. Even slightly higher rpm is not nearly as bad. I am ordering a set of inserts for the y-pipe to quite it down some anyway. I am embarrassed driving around with my shooting ear muffs on!
Old 02-12-2018, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stp001
I have the TSP 3.5 exhaust. I did have to order a 3" to 3.5" adapter to hook up to 3" y-pipe, but that wasn't a big deal. I had a muffler shop expand the 3" side a little to slip over the y-pipe. No issues with fitment on the rest of the system at all for me.
With headers, off-road Y, and this exhaust, it is way too loud for me. The drone at 1500 rpm is deafening. Even slightly higher rpm is not nearly as bad. I am ordering a set of inserts for the y-pipe to quite it down some anyway. I am embarrassed driving around with my shooting ear muffs on!
That's crazy that just a little difference in pipe would change the sound that much. I don't have any drone and I feel like the setup isn't much louder than my old SLP dual/dual with longtubes and off road y pipe.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So is this pipe is 3.5” all the way to the muffler then goes dual 3” out the muffler?
What kind of muffler is in this kit? Baffled or like a manga flow style one?
Old 02-17-2018, 09:25 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So what I'm getting from this is the neither 3" or the 3.5" setup is a true direct bolt on like other setups for our cars. This is unfortunate since the idea behind it is really great. Most people simply won't want a system that needs to be tweaked or modified to fit when there are other options that bolt directly in
The back section is far too heavy as a whole. It needed hangers on the tips like some exhausts (Kooks TD's?) come with. I got sick of having to adjust mine every week for the 4 months I had the 3". Said **** it and went to a dumped borla XR-1.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by That_One_Person
The back section is far too heavy as a whole. It needed hangers on the tips like some exhausts (Kooks TD's?) come with. I got sick of having to adjust mine every week for the 4 months I had the 3". Said **** it and went to a dumped borla XR-1.
Yeah after all the problems I hear over and over I'd never buy one of these systems. Not worth the risk in my opinion
Old 02-17-2018, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The quality is all there, it just suffers from a couple design flaws. I wasn't about to have it welded and sectioned with v-bands because I wasn't 100% in love with it. So I had my Y-pipe tig'd, v-banded, and now just went back to a dumped resonator for now. Those ebay X-pipe's that don't include mufflers with a couple of XR-1's would most likely be my next step.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SSLSWON
I am still wondering about TSP's 3.5" catback. Has anyone used this yet that wouldn't mind reviewing their experience or sharing pictures? Curious as to fitment and clearance, sound, and power level at which this is overkill and also becomes necessary. I would've thought with all the hype around less restriction and squeezing extra hp out, that this system would have taken off by now.
Here is my 3"TSP cat back w/cut out and Speed Engineering LT Headers and their 3" ORY.
I am lowered on 2" Stranos as well.
Back of car.
Front of car.
The exhaust fits great if you just take your time to line the pipes up. I cut the passenger hanger off of the old Flowmaster system and welded it on to the passenger side pipe. I have never had a problem with the pipes moving or sagging. I really love the tone of this system.
Here is a sound clip.

Last edited by dave04da; 02-19-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah after all the problems I hear over and over I'd never buy one of these systems. Not worth the risk in my opinion
After fixing the hanger situation mine hasn't moved. As long as you fix those, this catback is an amazing value and the sound is the best I have heard in person.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can one of you measure the exit pipes out of the muffler, are they 3” or 2.5”
Why get this vs the mufflex 3.5” with a straight through magnaflow muffler as the price is the same.
Because of the dual exit setup?
Old 02-18-2018, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

The pipes out of the muffler are 2.5". Just got mine buttoned up today. Pain in the ***. I cut half of the merge off the tsp y pipe and then took a piece of 3.5" pipe that I shaped into an oval on one end and mated it up to the merge where I cut it off so my y pipe never shrinks down less than 3.5". All I got is a crappy video my neighbor took on his iphone and a pic of the tips.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Isn’t that a waste?
Dual 2.5” out the rear, wouldn’t 3” be a lot better?
Makes the mufflex 3.5” seem a lot better with flow and weight.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
Can one of you measure the exit pipes out of the muffler, are they 3” or 2.5”
Why get this vs the mufflex 3.5” with a straight through magnaflow muffler as the price is the same.
Because of the dual exit setup?
I have a Trans Am so I don't want a single out muffler setup as I think it looks really weird to not have the cutouts in the bumper filled. Plus the tips and the built in cutout pushed me towards this exhaust. I was looking at the Speed Engineering duals but from the videos online I like the sound of this much better.

Isn’t that a waste?
I remember reading a magazine article a long time ago talking about exhaust energy being so low by the time that it gets to the tips that the diameter there doesn't matter much. I don't remember which magazine it was though..
Old 02-18-2018, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your right about a ta and the cutouts.
I guess your saying or they said the length is so short that it won’t matter ?
If I did my ta with a mufflex, I was going to do a dummy pipe on the pass side to make it look better.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the mufflex 3.5" system all stainless like TSP's? Is the mufflex "tip" really as visible as a normal catback's tips, or is it more like a hidden dump? Seems like it could be a good alternative if the fit is good. I still think I'm swaying towards TSP's 3" system though.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Isn’t that a waste?
well I guess thats the purpose of the built in 3.5" cutout

Quick Reply: Anyone have the TSP 3.5" catback on their car?