Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Catback, Catted Y, LTs w/Cam??? Final Thoughts Before Purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker Catback, Catted Y, LTs w/Cam??? Final Thoughts Before Purchase?

So, I am going to be purchasing my exhaust this week. And I have read almost every forum Regarding the subject and it seems to be a lot of good reviews for the hooker. It is very hard for me to tell from YouTube videos alone.
Car is a 00 m6, not my daily, but I do like to drive it a lot and would like quiet when cruising, minimal rasp/drone, but good sound. I will have a cutout for when I want to be loud. I also don’t care that the hooker is not stainless.

Set up: Will be buying
American Racing Headers 1 3/4 LT’s
American Racing Headers Catted Y (Seems to minimize drone/rasp & smell with better tone)
Hooker Cat-Back
Cutout
Heads and Cam Install to follow shortly...

Here are the best sound clips I have found and like..

1st...(My favorite set up, and what I am leaning towards, mainly including the bullet in the I-pipe if necessary) except this car has ory.
(In-car)

2nd (Car has catted y and sounds great maybe a little loud on the outside, can’t tell from video, but I think a bullet added could tone it down) I also have a similar cam waiting to go in.

3rd(A few other videos w/ hooker catback)
http://dodds.cc/chad/garage/z28/ls1_...231-237cam.avi
(This one sounds funny when revved and let off, but I think it might be due to poorly designed y pipe)

Anyways, let me know what you guys think, I really don’t want to be disappointed when I start it up. I can always add the bullet to th I pope to quiet it down. Hopefully this post and videos will help anyone deciding on a hooker catback.

Thanks!!!

Old 03-04-2018, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

My exhaust setup is very close to what you are posting. ARH Headers, Hooker Catback. The only difference is that I went with the ARH Catted Y pipe, but no cutouts. It's been about 5 years and the Hooker Aerohamber catback is by far my favorite as of yet. Very underrated exhaust. Great flow, sound, and price as well. Its nice to see the Hooker mufflers being mentioned more.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here a short idle clip of my ARH/Hooker exhaust setup. Sorry for the annoying thumb in the video. New phone and I fat fingered it. My wife’s comment is kinda funny too. She’s a character for sure. Hope it helps some.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Hey Black Sky! That helps me out so much, and is exactly what I was looking for/ hoping to hear! Your car sounds awesome. Thanks for uploading that video too.

So do you have the catted y or not? And is the exhaust tone mellow when cruising around town/highway?
Old 03-04-2018, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Oops nvm about the Catted y, I was on mobile mode so I couldn’t see your sig.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hooker catback is a good sounding one. It might be similar to magnaflow in terms of kinda quiet at idle. But i think it sounds better. I think the hooker has a more deep sounding muscle sound.

Definitely a good choice...
Old 03-04-2018, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
Hooker catback is a good sounding one. It might be similar to magnaflow in terms of kinda quiet at idle. But i think it sounds better. I think the hooker has a more deep sounding muscle sound.

Definitely a good choice...
Totally agree. It does offer more of a deeper muscle car sound.. It's respectable at idle and great while cruising. Down right mean when you get on it. The sound never gets old. Especially with the windows down.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Do it. I have a TSP LTs, TSP catted Y, Borla bullet muffler, and Hooker Aerochamber muffler. I LOVE it. I have had probably 4 exhausts prior to this one, and this one is by far my favorite.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the aerochamber and really like it. If you search my user name I have a heads/cam/intake build thread and you can find some before and after sound clips (plus some more on my YouTube channel). One of those videos is with the muffler removed, and it really makes me want to get a cutout. Adding a bullet and cutout would be nice to get it even tamer when wanted and wild when not.

That said my ideal setup would be to get a 4" merge on the y-pipe and 4" cutout. Should improve the sound and pick up power.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a fan of the Aerochamber. Sounds great.
Do it.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Post video when you get it installed.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 412 Likes on 299 Posts

You won't need a bullet in the I pipe, it is very civil and will have a deep tone, relative to what one would consider deep with a Y pipe. It will still be loud in the upper RPMs with a touch of rasp. Won't attract the wrong attention. It is very similar to the magnaflow catback offered for fbodies. After going through a few systems I have learned that YouTube videos are useless, my magnaflow system sounded nothing like it did in person as it did in video.

Last edited by Bspeck82; 03-12-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
After going through a few systems I have learned that YouTube videos are useless, my magnaflow system sounded nothing like it did in person as it did in video.
Did the Magna sound better or worse?
Old 03-12-2018, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 412 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Silver6.0
Did the Magna sound better or worse?
Unless you listen to them side by side I bet you couldn't tell a difference. The hooker sounded a little more muffled at idle and they sound the same at wot. The magnaflow catback looked better under the car.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:41 PM
Teching In

I finally did it! I ordered my ARH 1 3/4” longtubes and catted y pipe along with a hooker aerochamber catback. I will post a video as soon as I get them delivered and installed. I have my fingers crossed, but from all the reviews I think I’m going to like this set up, we will find out, and I will post a good video for those with the same question as me. Maybe this can be a “Hooker Aerochamber catback and header” Sticky haha.

Now, I’m trying to figure out if I should have ARH add an extra bung for a Wideband and where it should be located.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Glad you pulled the trigger. Sorry I diddnt get back to you with some more clips. They weren't worth sending. Lol. Diddnt mean to leave you hanging. I'm pretty sure you will be pleased with that setup. Considering its my exact setup I am a bit biased. The wideband bung is an excellent upgrade. Well worth it, especially when having ARH handle it for you.