Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 intake swap and Blackwing lid dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LS6 intake swap and Blackwing lid dyno results

For anyone interested, Car Craft posted today our article covering the installation and dyno testing of an LS6 intake manifold on an otherwise bone-stock '99 LS1.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/pick-...6-intake-swap/

Part of the testing included the addition of an SLP Blackwing air lid. Because the lid included the A.I.R. port, we had to seal it off for installation on '98-99 F-cars.

Information on an appropriately-sized rubber grommet and plastic plug can be found here.

https://www.pontiacv8.com/blog/2018/...ered-firebirds
Old 04-26-2018, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice article
Old 04-27-2018, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Are LS6 intake manifolds good? What about FAST ones?
Old 04-27-2018, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Are LS6 intake manifolds good? What about FAST ones?
For cathedral-headed mild performance engines the LS6 manifolds are VERY good. The FAST manifolds flow more, and are a worthwhile investment on higher performance engines.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by G Atsma
For cathedral-headed mild performance engines the LS6 manifolds are VERY good. The FAST manifolds flow more, and are a worthwhile investment on higher performance engines.
I was being sarcastic. Not a terrible article, just about a decade behind.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

I was being sarcastic. Not a terrible article, just about a decade behind.
There are new people everyday coming into the ls world. The article is still to help new comers and to refresh others on the swap and what it’s worth
Old 04-27-2018, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28SteveA4
There are new people everyday coming into the ls world. The article is still to help new comers and to refresh others on the swap and what it’s worth
I came at it with the viewpoint that with all the 5.3 truck engines around with cathedral heads (TONS), it would be good info for those wanting a lower profile manifold.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z28SteveA4
Truth there. But this site has become 50% "how much will i get going from ls6 to fast" questions. Another 25% are "how much is my ls6 holding me back?"

I've been on here for a bit and hate to see it. But the platform, in non crazy form, has been hashed over pretty good.

So should guys who aren't new leave? It's just silly when this basic info has been around for over a decade. Not just here but ALL over the internet. Shout out to dying car mags publishing dying articles about dying topics.

Non of this makes me happy BTW.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Something you might not have noticed but if you look under the hood and on the drivers side fender, there is an emissions sticker. Notice that the 98-2000 sticker doesn't show the EGR as an emissions device. If it's not pictured and it's tuned out, no one will know.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Truth there. But this site has become 50% "how much will i get going from ls6 to fast" questions. Another 25% are "how much is my ls6 holding me back?"

I've been on here for a bit and hate to see it. But the platform, in non crazy form, has been hashed over pretty good.

So should guys who aren't new leave? It's just silly when this basic info has been around for over a decade. Not just here but ALL over the internet. Shout out to dying car mags publishing dying articles about dying topics.

Non of this makes me happy BTW.
What’s silly is not supporting ongoing new support for this platform? Who cares if it’s been rehashed 1000 times? What you’re saying is we should shut this site down and everybody should stop supporting it because everything has been rehashed 1000 times. Everything.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

It’s definitely a good thing for new folk. Not everybody joins up and immediately goes for the search button. Id say majority just go browsing and and never see many old threads.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

It's just silly when this basic info has been around for over a decade. Not just here but ALL over the internet. Shout out to dying car mags publishing dying articles about dying topics.
AnotherWS6, I'm sorry that you feel the article was "silly."

And on this thread you call another of them "garbage"

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-heads-up.html

I understand that as each of us becomes more knowledgeable within the hobby, older material becomes increasingly irrelevant to us. It's a natural progression. There are, however, a great number of new hobbyists that haven't seen the material rehashed countless time.

Since I bought a '99 Trans Am a few years ago and was doing these upgrades to the car anyway, the Car Craft editor felt it would be very relevant to include them since his magazine hadn't covered that type of "basic material" in such a long time and it could be of interest to new hobbyists.

Contrarily to your feelings about both articles, the suspension/brake story was very well received and the LS6 intake swap has been quite popular thus far.

With all due respect, you have a couple of options if you don't like the material that Car Craft provides. You can A) let your subscription lapse or B) don't continue reading if you clicked on a link and feel the article is worthless to you.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocky Rotella
AnotherWS6, I'm sorry that you feel the article was "silly."

And on this thread you call another of them "garbage"

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-heads-up.html

I understand that as each of us becomes more knowledgeable within the hobby, older material becomes increasingly irrelevant to us. It's a natural progression. There are, however, a great number of new hobbyists that haven't seen the material rehashed countless time.

Since I bought a '99 Trans Am a few years ago and was doing these upgrades to the car anyway, the Car Craft editor felt it would be very relevant to include them since his magazine hadn't covered that type of "basic material" in such a long time and it could be of interest to new hobbyists.

Contrarily to your feelings about both articles, the suspension/brake story was very well received and the LS6 intake swap has been quite popular thus far.

With all due respect, you have a couple of options if you don't like the material that Car Craft provides. You can A) let your subscription lapse or B) don't continue reading if you clicked on a link and feel the article is worthless to you.
This article is a joke. Im sorry but it is. It comes off as if the magazine is just now getting into LS stuff. Seriously a waste of time. There are tons of articles online on the same topic.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you.

I’ll be sure to share your opinion with the editor.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Is it old news to those who have been dabbling with LS engines for a while? Absolutely.

But it is still good to see an updated article with the information for those who may not know. Hell, if I'm searching around, I'm not really paying much mind to things from 15 years ago because there is a good chance that something better has been developed since then.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2QuikTA
What’s silly is not supporting ongoing new support for this platform? Who cares if it’s been rehashed 1000 times? What you’re saying is we should shut this site down and everybody should stop supporting it because everything has been rehashed 1000 times. Everything.
Your exactly right.

MIke
Old 05-01-2018, 12:53 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Is it old news to those who have been dabbling with LS engines for a while? Absolutely. But it is still good to see an updated article with the information for those who may not know.
I agree with this much. There are always new guys getting into the 4th gen scene for whom this kind of information will be valuable.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I thought it was a good article. It's nice seeing something other than the usual "fast 102 is the only way" which seems to be the standard reply on this forum.

With the price of early ls cars dropping so much there are more and more people looking for budget build daily drivers and the big money drag only builds are pointless to all these people.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Always nice to read a LS1 based article in a big magazine like Car Craft. Found the results of the bigger lid/air flow interesting.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I really need to get my car tuned